February (Q2) 2024

Right. Like I should be able to afford a house no matter where I live. I can't save for a down payment when my 2 bedroom rent is $3,500 and groceries cost over $1,500 a month for 2 people. I don't even have kids. Sure I'm not struggling because I'm maxing my TSP but how am I ever going to be able to own a home.
Have you ever considered not maxing your TSP? Saving 10-12% of your income in it but not max? Everyone instinctively goes to that and if anyone suggests different they think that person is nuts but it’s not the best for everyone in every circumstance.

Not saying it’s you but I know a guy who maxes it out and refuses to deviate even though he is putting big money on credit cards each month he don’t pay off. The high interest on the credit cards eats up gains on the TSP even in a good year. He is about to get stuck, and said his only possible solution is probably…… taking out a huge TSP loan lol.

Have you ever considered not maxing your TSP? Saving 10-12% of your income in it but not max? Everyone instinctively goes to that and if anyone suggests different they think that person is nuts but it’s not the best for everyone in every circumstance.

Not saying it’s you but I know a guy who maxes it out and refuses to deviate even though he is putting big money on credit cards each month he don’t pay off. The high interest on the credit cards eats up gains on the TSP even in a good year. He is about to get stuck, and said his only possible solution is probably…… taking out a huge TSP loan lol.
Not to bring Dave Ramsey into the conversation, but he would say don't save for retirement until you have all debt paid off except for your house. I would argue at least get the matching.

maxing your tsp but complaining about not being able to afford a house. Not only would your mortgage likely be lower than your rent, your house will probably gain significant value than say the 30k not in your tsp over the next two years if you just do 5% and save the rest for a down payment.
It wouldn't be. The cheapest places near me are $500k one bedroom condos with $500+ HOA fees. I've already worked with a realtor and the bank and the mortgages are around $4,200-$4,500 depending on taxes and such, with between 3-5% down.

If I reduce my TSP contribution to 5% then I can save what, $10,000 more each year? So in order to save an additional 15% down payment to avoid PMI and achieve an affordable mortgage, I need to do that for between 8-9 years.

How do you not see how insane this is? talking about cutting my retirement contributions for a decade just to be able to afford a one bedroom apartment?

It wouldn't be. The cheapest places near me are $500k one bedroom condos with $500+ HOA fees. I've already worked with a realtor and the bank and the mortgages are around $4,200-$4,500 depending on taxes and such, with between 3-5% down.

If I reduce my TSP contribution to 5% then I can save what, $10,000 more each year? So in order to save an additional 15% down payment to avoid PMI and achieve an affordable mortgage, I need to do that for between 8-9 years.

How do you not see how insane this is? talking about cutting my retirement contributions for a decade just to be able to afford a one bedroom apartment?
Are you military? I would assume it’s more than 10k a year but I don’t know the area.

Why would they list facilities let’s say in the top fifty for priority with a possible gain of zero? Anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited:
On the PPT, why would they list facilities let’s say in the top fifty for priority with a possible gain of zero? Anyone have any insight on this?
The PPT formula takes various thing into consideration with different weights, including level facility, difficulty to staff, core 30 airport, and current staffing levels.

Exactly. 1br starts at 800k where I’m at for 600 sq ft. Taking away from your tsp won’t do shit for the down payment you need to even put a dent in your mortgage payment. That guy is a fucking idiot living in bum fuck. We need a raise severely.

Exactly. 1br starts at 800k where I’m at for 600 sq ft. Taking away from your tsp won’t do shit for the down payment you need to even put a dent in your mortgage payment. That guy is a fucking idiot living in bum fuck. We need a raise severely.
If you really are in a place where a one bedroom condo starts at 800K I really hope your parents are rich or you can get the fuck out of there as ATC is just not a career that works in a place like that period.

Would cutting a TSP contribution in your area from 20% to 5% help you buy a house? Fuck no, as you said.

But look at this, would a instant 15% raise (the same dollar amount) from NATCA (who never gave any indication they even have the intent to ask for a 15% raise, much less be able to get one) help you buy a home? Fuck no, as you said.

So if the COLA really is what you say it is, there is just no way out and no solution, even if your at ZOA working 6 day weeks, and we get a better contract, this job will simply will never pay enough.

Given the last time A80 had a priority release MOU and Rinaldi and Marinetti both saying, “We are not going to let you rob Peter to pay Paul,” I’ll believe higher ranked candidates will be selected when they actually walk through the doors. I’m anticipating a bunch of 4-7s being magically selected.

I would still like some clarity on what this actually means.
  • Selection order will be based on the facility with the fewest number of inbound ERRs as a percentage of vacancies (selections to projected National Average)

• Selection order will be based on the facility with the fewest number of inbound ERRs as a percentage of vacancies (selections to projected National Average)
I hate to step on dreams but I would really try to ignore the weeds and the details because even the people on the board will not dig into them as much as you, and there are countless examples of them ignoring or breaks the dynamic rules anyway. I remember when NCEPT came out every facility had a “NCEPT scientist” who would examine the rules like a specialized attorney and evaluate release possibilities and percentages to a fraction of a percent, and with that they knew what was “supposed” to happen each panel, and they should have been right based on the posted rules and available data. Soon they were smashing their heads on the NATCA desk in the office because the committee did follow there own shit and there was often to rhyme and reason to it. It’s basically a crapshoot, make sure your paperwork is in and correct any hope for the best.

Why would they list facilities let’s say in the top fifty for priority with a possible gain of zero? Anyone have any insight on this?
Because the priority list is a stale pile of dry dogshit. Also that gains column is not accurate

That’s just for the order of the 3 priority mou facilities. It means ZOA picks first

The PPT formula takes various thing into consideration with different weights, including level facility, difficulty to staff, core 30 airport, and current staffing levels.
That’s not the PPT

Aren't you in NYC area?

Given the last time A80 had a priority release MOU and Rinaldi and Marinetti both saying, “We are not going to let you rob Peter to pay Paul,” I’ll believe higher ranked candidates will be selected when they actually walk through the doors. I’m anticipating a bunch of 4-7s being magically selected.
Good for the 4-7s, they deserve a chance to move up.

Look at the ERR demand sheet off the NATCA site. It was updated Jan 2. Latest numbers are ZOA has 57 vacancies (to projected NA) with 7 ERRs, MIA has 29 vacancies with 25 ERRs, and A80 has 39 vacancies with 46 ERRs. Just compare the ERRs to the vacancies.

With those numbers, it will be ZOA, MIA and A80 in that order for selections.

Good for the 4-7s, they deserve a chance to move up.
So do the 8-10s that have been stuck too though.

Back
Top Bottom