Government Shutdown

I don’t blame anyone who wants to resign. If they are able to find something else that makes them happy and live the life they want more power to them. A lot of us wish we had the balls to stick it to The Man. He did.

Wouldn't be surprised if he already had another revenue stream.

A "Yuge" deal that will do nothing but piss off more people?

Declaring an emergency gives Trump an out. He can save face with his base that he didn’t back down on the wall. He’ll lose in the courts because there is no real emergency, and then he’ll blame the courts for there not being a wall. Who knows what will happen though. Just a thought. As long as we get funded I could not care less what happens

Government shutdown might be ending tomorrow, depending on how Trump's press conference goes. Supposedly it's to declare a state of an emergency to use funds towards the wall, if that happens, very likely the government will reopen by Tuesday. Otherwise, expect the government shut down to go on for at the bare minimum, another week, if not longer.

Last edited:
Government shutdown might be ending tomorrow, depending on how Trump's press conference goes. Supposedly it's to declare a state of an emergency to use funds towards the wall, if that happens, very likely the government will reopen by Monday/Tuesday. Otherwise, expect the government shut down to go on for at the bare minimum, another week, if not longer.
Source for state of emergency announcement?

Government shutdown might be ending tomorrow, depending on how Trump's press conference goes. Supposedly it's to declare a state of an emergency to use funds towards the wall, if that happens, very likely the government will reopen by Monday/Tuesday. Otherwise, expect the government shut down to go on for at the bare minimum, another week, if not longer.

According to the current reports from “senior administration officials” (take that with a grain of salt), he’s going to announce a possible deal to reopen the government, not declaring emergency. The source also claims that he “negotiated” this deal with Pence, McConnell and his son-in-law. So don’t get your hopes up

According to the current reports from “senior administration officials” (take that with a grain of salt), he’s going to announce a possible deal to reopen the government, not declaring emergency. The source also claims that he “negotiated” this deal with Pence, McConnell and his son-in-law. So don’t get your hopes up

Other articles that I read stated the opposite, we just really have to see how tomorrow goes. It doesn't make sense for him to be scheduling a press conference tomorrow for public relations after he just addressed the nation via every major cable news network. So either they have a deal or he's just decided he's going around Congress. If it's the deal option, then I would think more politicians would have started leaking by now to take credit for it. (Republicans would want to take credit that their party ended the shut down, as would the Democrats.)

Other articles that I read stated the opposite, we just really have to see how tomorrow goes. It doesn't make sense for him to be scheduling a press conference tomorrow for public relations after he just addressed the nation via every major cable news network. So either they have a deal or he's just decided he's going around Congress. If it's the deal option, then I would think more politicians would have started leaking by now to take credit for it. (Republicans would want to take credit that their party ended the shut down, as would the Democrats.)

I don’t think they have a deal, as the democrats seem to be content to let him twist in the wind. I also don’t think he’ll declare an emergency as his most vocal backers in Congress are leery of that option. Him agreeing to reopen the government without wall money up front would be seen as capitulation by his base (and everyone else) so I don’t think he’s looking to make brownie points there either. So who knows?! I have a few theories, but no basis for any of them. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow

I don’t think they have a deal, as the democrats seem to be content to let him twist in the wind. I also don’t think he’ll declare an emergency as his most vocal backers in Congress are leery of that option. Him agreeing to reopen the government without wall money up front would be seen as capitulation by his base (and everyone else) so I don’t think he’s looking to make brownie points there either. So who knows?! I have a few theories, but no basis for any of them. We’ll see how it goes tomorrow
It sounds like he’s gonna gonup there who say the same exact thing and nothing is gonna happen.

NYT reporter also says they think they have enough votes in Senate for this to go to House. Hope this ends soon for y'all.

If that's true, I don't see pelosi and the Democrats voting on this. She said no wall, and she's not going to miss an opportunity to throw this in Trump's face after he goes on national television to announce.

I think Trump's play is not to get this passed, but to shift blame to get Democrats, so he can say he offered them a deal and they refused. He's likely hoping this changes public opinion in his favor.

If that's true, I don't see pelosi and the Democrats voting on this. She said no wall, and she's not going to miss an opportunity to throw this in Trump's face after he goes on national television to announce.

I think Trump's play is not to get this passed, but to shift blame to get Democrats, so he can say he offered them a deal and they refused. He's likely hoping this changes public opinion in his favor.

That's true, and because the Supreme Court is not taking up the DACA case, the protections are already extended at least another 10 months anyway. You're spot on, he's offering something they already have, betting they say no, and hoping that the public opinion changes in his favor.

Back
Top Bottom