Housing

I stayed at one where they gave me a free car rental with the per diem also free happy hour, free breakfast every morning and free taco tuesday every week.

Something to look into for sure. I saw that some hotels do offer a government rate, but you add taxes on there and it is your entire per diem + a little more in some cases. Not expecting to make money (maybe some) on the trip, but do not want to lose money during it either.
Make sure to not give the front desk your credit card. They tried to charge the tax to a classmate. Tell them to pound sand and talk to the FAA.

During that first day orientation at the Academy they give you contact info for FAA housing. Or was it before heading to the Academy, you told housing where you're staying at. idk I've brain dumped the memories of the academy.

Make sure to not give the front desk your credit card. They tried to charge the tax to a classmate. Tell them to pound sand and talk to the FAA.

During that first day orientation at the Academy they give you contact info for FAA housing. Or was it before heading to the Academy, you told housing where you're staying at. idk I've brain dumped the memories of the academy.
After 30 days, the tax is removed, except for state tax. There is paperwork involved that must be filled out. (I think)

Something to look into for sure. I saw that some hotels do offer a government rate, but you add taxes on there and it is your entire per diem + a little more in some cases. Not expecting to make money (maybe some) on the trip, but do not want to lose money during it either.
Not all of them charge the same. Some of the hotels calculate the tax, and charge you an amount that would equal the per diem, with no out of pocket cost. You got to do the research and give the hotel a call.

Silly question I know, but can anyone tell me a sort of "art of the deal" regarding negotiation for cheaper hotel rooms? Do you call and ask for the manager immediately or just try talking to whoever answers?

Silly question I know, but can anyone tell me a sort of "art of the deal" regarding negotiation for cheaper hotel rooms? Do you call and ask for the manager immediately or just try talking to whoever answers?
Negotiating a cheaper hotel room isn’t really possible unless you’re traveling with a group then you might be eligible for some sort of group discount.

There isn't really a point in negotiating a cheaper deal, unless the daily rate of the hotel is more than the per diem rate

I called the number listed for the hotel I wanted on this page Federal Aviation Administration - Housing List

They already have it set up to accept the $63 rate. No art of the deal required. The FAA rep books the reservation for you and then you would just check in to the hotel whenever using that reservation number. Oh and by they I mean cindy farney, can't comment on the other people and how they work but I would imagine its the same cuz what hotel wouldn't want them free gubment bennies

I called the number listed for the hotel I wanted on this page Federal Aviation Administration - Housing List

They already have it set up to accept the $63 rate. No art of the deal required. The FAA rep books the reservation for you and then you would just check in to the hotel whenever using that reservation number. Oh and by they I mean cindy farney, can't comment on the other people and how they work but I would imagine its the same cuz what hotel wouldn't want them free gubment bennies
Thank you for the info! May I inquire as to what hotel you went with? I want something with a kitchen.

Thank you for the info! May I inquire as to what hotel you went with? I want something with a kitchen.
From what I saw, the candlewood suites and residence inn have kitchens. Hilton embassy suites doesn't have a kitchen. I'm gonna be mostly cooking out of my pressure cooker and cast iron skillet so yeah a kitchen and sink were important to me as well.

I went with the residence inn because that brand is higher quality than the others listed, plus the property was built in 2018 so its a quite a bit more modern than the others. The others seem a bit too homey to me if that makes sense. The lady I spoke with said she had her own personal conference room in the hotel that students could use to study - but I'm bringing my car so if the people in my class end up being at kims or something then I don't mind driving over to study. Plus after I saw those room pictures I was like yea I'm staying here

Furthermore, you can rack up free marriott points and tier status. Membership Levels & Benefits | Elite Status | Marriott Bonvoy

Terminal is > 50 days which will take anyone to platinum, enroute is > 75 so it's automatic titanium. If you're staying at intl properties they almost always give you some nice room upgrades. I've gotten some upgrades in the US about half the time if I ask nicely. Plus the executive lounge access is great

For people that don't mind not having a kitchen hilton only requires 30 nights to get to their top tier Hilton Honors Member Benefits

If you wanna do this I'd sign up for a membership account for free and get your membership number before you call the hotel person that way they can attach your number to the reservation

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 115
From what I saw, the candlewood suites and residence inn have kitchens. Hilton embassy suites doesn't have a kitchen. I'm gonna be mostly cooking out of my pressure cooker and cast iron skillet so yeah a kitchen and sink were important to me as well.

I went with the residence inn because that brand is higher quality than the others listed, plus the property was built in 2018 so its a quite a bit more modern than the others. The others seem a bit too homey to me if that makes sense. The lady I spoke with said she had her own personal conference room in the hotel that students could use to study - but I'm bringing my car so if the people in my class end up being at kims or something then I don't mind driving over to study. Plus after I saw those room pictures I was like yea I'm staying here

Furthermore, you can rack up free marriott points and tier status. Membership Levels & Benefits | Elite Status | Marriott Bonvoy

Terminal is > 50 days which will take anyone to platinum, enroute is > 75 so it's automatic titanium. If you're staying at intl properties they almost always give you some nice room upgrades. I've gotten some upgrades in the US about half the time if I ask nicely. Plus the executive lounge access is great

For people that don't mind not having a kitchen hilton only requires 30 nights to get to their top tier Hilton Honors Member Benefits

If you wanna do this I'd sign up for a membership account for free and get your membership number before you call the hotel person that way they can attach your number to the reservation
Wow! Great info, thanks! I am only going for TSEW so I will not be there long enough to rack up crazy points. But, as you mentioned, having a more modern living arrangement would be preferred. I am bringing my own vehicle as well. I have done time down in OKC without having my own car and it sucked! Sounds like you will be heading down there soon. Please let me know if that hotel works out. I am heading down there in May.

Wow! Great info, thanks! I am only going for TSEW so I will not be there long enough to rack up crazy points. But, as you mentioned, having a more modern living arrangement would be preferred. I am bringing my own vehicle as well. I have done time down in OKC without having my own car and it sucked! Sounds like you will be heading down there soon. Please let me know if that hotel works out. I am heading down there in May.
If you fly, the FAA is currently covering the cost for rental cars due to covid. Normally it is not covered due to the shuttle option.

Keep in mind, you don’t have to go by that list. You can go to any hotel and negotiate a long term rate. These hotels are not getting any business, they WILL work with you. Just go on google maps and browse the vicinity and give the hotel a call.

There is usually an employee at the hotel that handles long term rates. Do not call the central reservation centers, they will not offer it. Just let them know the per diem rate and that you will not go any higher. Make sure it is the after tax rate. Your per diem already includes money for tax.

If you fly, the FAA is currently covering the cost for rental cars due to covid. Normally it is not covered due to the shuttle option.

Is this for all academy students or just the ones returning for a class? And how do you go about arranging it? This is the first i've heard of it and it would be really helpful for me lol.

Unless OP is aware of something I am not, this is completely false. Per the Travel Office Inprocessing Guide, if you choose to fly, you book the travel through SATO, get 2 non-overweight checked bags, and you are only reimbursed for transportation to and from the airports (either personal vehicle in mileage or for taxis/Ubers). If you drive, you are reimbursed mileage and enroute lodging at the current GSA rate.

Is this for all academy students or just the ones returning for a class? And how do you go about arranging it? This is the first i've heard of it and it would be really helpful for me lol.
I am not sure. I’ve only known of controllers returning for RTF and other classes that received rental cars. I do not know any new hires. You should call HR or student services to inquire.

Unless OP is aware of something I am not, this is completely false. Per the Travel Office Inprocessing Guide, if you choose to fly, you book the travel through SATO, get 2 non-overweight checked bags, and you are only reimbursed for transportation to and from the airports (either personal vehicle in mileage or for taxis/Ubers). If you drive, you are reimbursed mileage and enroute lodging at the current GSA rate.
What you’re stating is “NORMALLY” what happens. What I am stating is “CURRENTLY” what is occurring as far as what I’ve been told by other controllers. Covid times.

What you’re stating is “NORMALLY” what happens. What I am stating is “CURRENTLY” what is occurring as far as what I’ve been told by other controllers. Covid times.
I'm in OKC now as a new hire and rental cars aren't reimbursable. Like you said, it may be different if you are returning for other courses but the travel office would be the most definitive people to ask.

I'm thinking of going to Anatole because I think I'd prefer to live alone (never lived with roommates). Besides that, and what sounds like the properties are nicer, is there any benefit to Anatole over Kim's Place? The food shopping list sounds pretty attractive but other than that, just wondering what people liked about Anatole over Kim's place

Does every lodging option on the FAA site accept the per diem rate?

Also, on the list it says the Residence Inn (OKC Airport) is offering “short term” lodging. Is that true or just hasn’t been updated and long term is available too?

Does every lodging option on the FAA site accept the per diem rate?

Also, on the list it says the Residence Inn (OKC Airport) is offering “short term” lodging. Is that true or just hasn’t been updated and long term is available too?
if there is somewhere you are interested in, just give them a call

most hotels in the area are gonna be familiar with the process and be able to give you an answer

Back
Top Bottom