Serious How hungover does the mid make you

ANY rotating shift schedule is a scam that only serves to put people in their graves faster.

I am one of the weirdos who loved working straight mids; my body thrived on it. I slept better, ate better, worked out more consistently, dealt with people less outside of work, and was able to easily accomplish anything I needed to during "normal business hours" as soon as I got off work. But I also stayed nocturnal on my days off and seldom tried to adjust my sleep schedule to "normal" on my weekends. Obviously it's much easier when you are single with no children and live in a 24hr city like I did (Vegas).

NTSB - Yes please fix ATC scheduling practices
FAA - I'm sorry did you say something? We fixed everything else and are blatantly ignoring you on this issue.

Your schedule rotation is picked at the local level by NATCA. If your facility is doing the rattler, it’s becuase that what’s y’all chose. If enough people don’t want to work that type of schedule y’all can change it.

Maybe stop eating 4 meals then. Not that hard. I'd argue the rats have a habit of eating when they wake up, then lunch, dinner, and a 4th meal because they're up longer and don't change their habits.

Either way, I enjoy mids and I work quick turns plenty and have none of these issues. Most of you are just whiny. If you don't like mids give them away since every facility has people that want them. My last facility nearly no one gave up their mids because it was very nice to have a long weekend despite what all you crybabies say about the rattler.

Maybe stop eating 4 meals then. Not that hard. I'd argue the rats have a habit of eating when they wake up, then lunch, dinner, and a 4th meal because they're up longer and don't change their habits.

Either way, I enjoy mids and I work quick turns plenty and have none of these issues. Most of you are just whiny. If you don't like mids give them away since every facility has people that want them. My last facility nearly no one gave up their mids because it was very nice to have a long weekend despite what all you crybabies say about the rattler.
NOBODY CARES, PLEASE STFU

Your schedule rotation is picked at the local level by NATCA. If your facility is doing the rattler, it’s becuase that what’s y’all chose. If enough people don’t want to work that type of schedule y’all can change it.
I usually agree with you but I think this is a bad take.

N90 is going to have a lot more leverage and muscle to work the schedule they want as compared to a normal facility.

NATCA at the local level is supposed to negotiate with their ATM on the schedule. In actuality, the ATMs are micromanaged to a point where they are not allowed to make these decisions without elevating it up their chain of command, against the spirit of the contract.

At 24/7 facilities, I would be surprised if any local can get management to agree to anything other than the rattler without a prolonged fight and war of attrition.

Last edited:
I didn't expect this kind of response to such a simple answer.

I was able to get off the rattler this year and Holy crap its been a game changer. I feel like a human being, have somewhat of a normal sleep schedule and am not a zombie for 2 1/2 days leading up to,during, and after the mid.

Highly recommend you try getting off the mids if you can

NATCA at the local level is supposed to negotiate with their ATM on the schedule. In actuality, the ATMs are micromanaged to a point where they are not allowed to make these decisions without elevating it up their chain of command, against the spirit of the contract.

At 24/7 facilities, I would be surprised if any local can management to agree to anything other than the rattler without a prolonged fight and war of attrition.

One of my building's (not N90) other areas came out with a schedule one or two years ago that had a bunch (nearly a quarter of their lines or more) of 4x10s where no extra OT was needed to cover leave slots. The coverage their schedule created would have covered what was required by the local schedule MOU. They were told to pound sand and went back to the "normal" 5x8s rattler. I get that we have leeway to create a schedule based on what is negogiated but based on this example I'm not quite sure how we actually get something different.

I know it's still the rattler but I know of other facilities (or at least areas within) that split a year into tri-mesters to bid, so I do know that change of some sort *can* happen.

It’s the same concept as letting your child choose what to eat. It’s up the adults to make sure the kid doesnt have a gallon of ice cream. It might make the kid happy but we know it’s bad. Someone, in this case faa management needs to be the adult in the room and say no, bc it’s fucking terrible for our workforce. You can’t always give people what they want. In this case, even if one person doesn’t want rattlers, you can’t make that person die sooner bc majority says so

Some Members like the rattler because it gives them more time off, especially when they work 6 days a week.

Management likes the rattler because it gives them more opportunities to schedule overtime without worrying so much about fatigue.

The government likes the rattler because it kills you sooner and they don’t pay out as many benefits.

Supermarkets like the rattler because you’re going to eat more.

1697056129936.gif

The "Rattler" is a death schedule, period. Nobody who works a rattler w mid for 30 years is setting any longevity records. Every doctor knows this and every sleep study shows it. The people who simp for it are just institutionalists who fear change.

Tired Baby GIF by Noam Sussman

Back
Top Bottom