Serious How hungover does the mid make you

Do any facilities do anything other than the Rattler or PDO’s that people like? My facility goes through the same battle every year and end up doing the Rattler still.

It’s the same concept as letting your child choose what to eat. It’s up the adults to make sure the kid doesnt have a gallon of ice cream. It might make the kid happy but we know it’s bad. Someone, in this case faa management needs to be the adult in the room and say no, bc it’s fucking terrible for our workforce. You can’t always give people what they want. In this case, even if one person doesn’t want rattlers, you can’t make that person die sooner bc majority says so
Def can. Def do.

Honestly not sure what the big deal is about the quick turn around. I don't get to sleep any later than normal on that shift... my falling asleep time frame is the same whether I worked or not. Would people actually try to go to sleep at like 9pm, had they not worked the swing? It just sucks waking up at like 5 am for the following day shift, but waking up that early sucks whether or not I was at work til 8:30 the night before. It's the early-ass day shifts that suck for me more than anything.

I don’t get people struggling this bad with the quick turn either. You might get 6 hours of sleep once a week instead of 8. If your commute is 45 minutes to get home and 45 minutes to get back to work you still have 45 minutes to get to bed once you get home and ready for work when you wake up and still get 6 hours of sleep.

Are you trying to tell me all these video game addicted 28 year olds, people who have kids, people renovating homes and whatever else get 8 hours of sleep 100% of the time other then the quick turn day? I’m not buying that.

Do any facilities do anything other than the Rattler or PDO’s that people like? My facility goes through the same battle every year and end up doing the Rattler still.
We have some straight lines where you alternate all day shifts and all swings shifts every other week with no mids. It’s nice to have that option if you hate the rattler. Some people love it but the majority still opt for rattler and several straight lines always drop to lowest seniority.

I don’t get people struggling this bad with the quick turn either. You might get 6 hours of sleep once a week instead of 8. If your commute is 45 minutes to get home and 45 minutes to get back to work you still have 45 minutes to get to bed once you get home and ready for work when you wake up and still get 6 hours of sleep.

Are you trying to tell me all these video game addicted 28 year olds, people who have kids, people renovating homes and whatever else get 8 hours of sleep 100% of the time other then the quick turn day? I’m not buying that.
It has to do with a sleep cycle. If you sleep till 10 after your mid then 9 or 10 on your RDOs and then 9 or 10 before your 1430 and 1300. Now the next day you have to be up at 5:30. There’s been many a night where I’m just laying in bed unable to fall asleep.

But I have gotten better and I try to start waking up earlier on my off days to mitigate.

Maybe stop eating 4 meals then. Not that hard. I'd argue the rats have a habit of eating when they wake up, then lunch, dinner, and a 4th meal because they're up longer and don't change their habits.

Either way, I enjoy mids and I work quick turns plenty and have none of these issues. Most of you are just whiny. If you don't like mids give them away since every facility has people that want them. My last facility nearly no one gave up their mids because it was very nice to have a long weekend despite what all you crybabies say about the rattler.
The ole it doesn’t affect me it shouldn’t affect anyone philosophy. Solid.

Can’t tell if this is serious or not

I previously worked rotating shifts and now I don’t. Personally, when working a combo of PMs/AMs/mids my body was never quite right. I didn’t realize how effed up it was until going to straight shifts and feeling so much better. It can’t be good doing that your whole career.

4 of the 5 areas in my building do week of days week of swings alternating and you get scheduled mids every 6 weeks or so on one of your day shift weeks. Pretty easy to swap out the mids though (and even for a straight day/swing schedule), I haven’t worked a mid I didn’t want to work in months. The one area voted for rattler this past year. Don’t know how much they like it or not though.

4 of the 5 areas in my building do week of days week of swings alternating and you get scheduled mids every 6 weeks or so on one of your day shift weeks. Pretty easy to swap out the mids though (and even for a straight day/swing schedule), I haven’t worked a mid I didn’t want to work in months. The one area voted for rattler this past year. Don’t know how much they like it or not though.
Can u post a sample schedule?

We have some straight lines where you alternate all day shifts and all swings shifts every other week with no mids. It’s nice to have that option if you hate the rattler. Some people love it but the majority still opt for rattler and several straight lines always drop to lowest seniority.

It's because the rattler is better for family life. Anyone that actually enjoys seeing their family typically hates a week of swings. Ive worked both and the rattler is superior by far.

You guys act like the rattler is something that’s forced on us. I guess sometimes that’s the case but every facility negotiates their own BWS. We had all rattlers until a couple years ago people started showing more interest in other options and we negotiated non-rattler lines for the next year. Some people love the straight lines, but like I said, most still chose the rattler instead.

You guys act like the rattler is something that’s forced on us. I guess sometimes that’s the case but every facility negotiates their own BWS. We had all rattlers until a couple years ago people started showing more interest in other options and we negotiated non-rattler lines for the next year. Some people love the straight lines, but like I said, most still chose the rattler instead.
In some cases management will not approve anything short of the rattler because "coverage."

If sleep is the goal, you can always propose the rattler in reverse. You get jackshit for time off on your RDOs but maximize time between shifts.

Nobody ever wants that one though
True and a valid point. What people (myself included when I was on the boards) sought was the AWS schedule 4/10's. Those were absolute king but of course some people bitched about the 10 hour days lol. Moral of the story, as controllers we will complain about anything but the rattler itself is not the answer.

Back
Top Bottom