Serious How hungover does the mid make you

fivebyfive I've actually had this thought before. When I tried out mids, I was more tired at the start of my mid shift than I was at the end of my swing shifts. It's funny they wouldn't allow a 12 hour shift bs of fatigue but yet have that 8 hour rule before your mid for "rest" & then the 9 hour quick turn before that as if it's even enough time to get sleep. Then add on OT every week.... I still don't understand how the agency feels that we operate safely with constant fatigue & OT

I would LOVE straight shifts but working mandatory OT every single week would suck on straight swings. If our staffing was better, I'd push for it. The rattler is garbage and I can't believe it's been a thing for as long as it has

fivebyfive I've actually had this thought before. When I tried out mids, I was more tired at the start of my mid shift than I was at the end of my swing shifts. It's funny they wouldn't allow a 12 hour shift bs of fatigue but yet have that 8 hour rule before your mid for "rest" & then the 9 hour quick turn before that as if it's even enough time to get sleep. Then add on OT every week.... I still don't understand how the agency feels that we operate safely with constant fatigue & OT

I would LOVE straight shifts but working mandatory OT every single week would suck on straight swings. If our staffing was better, I'd push for it. The rattler is garbage and I can't believe it's been a thing for as long as it has
What I hate is that with 4 12 you have built in overtime and days off.

Not to mention we could only work traffic for 12 hours, and then 2 hours of art 114 duties. (Safety councils, qa sector write ups, boring paperwork stuff)

Or work 6 hours traffic and 6 hours tmu

But this would make it so that the new guy (union fav) working 9-5 weekends off his second year in has to work traffic and not sit in the office all day.

Firefighters, police, nurses, etc work 4x12 and I would gladly do anything to get rid of the turn. But a lot of firehouses etc have bunks

I’ve trained myself to be a good napper. My bedroom is dark and uncluttered. I can usually get 5 hours of sleep before a mid, 2 hours on break, and about 3 hours when I get home. I handle that better than waking up for the 6am shift on my 5th day. Sleep is the priority so I farm out chores that would take up my time (cleaning lady, laundry service, grocery pickup) so my days off have as few errands as possible. Intermittent fasting has also made the quality of sleep better, though that’s incredibly difficult when switching from night to day shifts.

Your schedule rotation is picked at the local level by NATCA. If your facility is doing the rattler, it’s becuase that what’s y’all chose. If enough people don’t want to work that type of schedule y’all can change it.
Not necessarily, my local fought for more straight lines and the ATM fought it

Back
Top Bottom