Keeping Covid Test Results Quiet???

PointSixty5stalker

Trusted Contributor
Once again at my center we got a NATCA email saying someone MAY have contracted Covid. They will not list the employees name and management will not release the name either. My wife is a doctor and I worked in a hospital before this so I know it’s not some HIPAA violation to release the employees name. Either way... I’m due back tomorrow and I get a call from the flight surgeon stating the employees name (guy on my crew I was working shoulder to shoulder with) and that they haven’t gotten results but I need to go get tested and that either way I have to quarantine for 14 days. Why the hell could they not tell me it was him? And why did they wait 6 days to tell me? I don’t care if it’s some obese tech ops guy that we never see in there area. They should tell us who it is. The facility is forcing us to open sectors and have more bodies in the area that need to be. Management AND NATCA is to blame on this one. Does anyone else’s center have this same problem.

HIPAA doesn’t apply to employers but ADA might prevent them from disclosing that information to other employees. Not saying it’s right but there is some precedent.

Once again at my center we got a NATCA email saying someone MAY have contracted Covid. They will not list the employees name and management will not release the name either. My wife is a doctor and I worked in a hospital before this so I know it’s not some HIPAA violation to release the employees name. Either way... I’m due back tomorrow and I get a call from the flight surgeon stating the employees name (guy on my crew I was working shoulder to shoulder with) and that they haven’t gotten results but I need to go get tested and that either way I have to quarantine for 14 days. Why the hell could they not tell me it was him? And why did they wait 6 days to tell me? I don’t care if it’s some obese tech ops guy that we never see in there area. They should tell us who it is. The facility is forcing us to open sectors and have more bodies in the area that need to be. Management AND NATCA is to blame on this one. Does anyone else’s center have this same problem.
You aren't entitled to a coworker's medical records. If the employee consents to releasing the information, then great. Otherwise, they can tell you someone tested positive and go get checked. Their half-assed contact tracing should fill you in on what you need to know and they can do it without divulging their medical status. Our Z doesn't release names unless the employee consents. So far everyone has okayed the release.

Once again at my center we got a NATCA email saying someone MAY have contracted Covid.....

So why didn't the employee just self identify, and tell the union rep to send out an email and give everyone a heads up?

Sorry, That's a weak dick move, and you know why I get to throw stones?

I went home sick one day, and went to the ER and ended up getting diagnosed with Meningitis, fortunately viral. Rumor mill at the center went into overdrive, but I was up front with it, didn't really care and was posting from the hospital on facebook. However to quell the rumor mill, I sent the union pres an email with all the info I had, and it calmed shit down. I also threatened to lick people's headsets but I was high on pain drugs...

They even closed the cafeteria for a 'health concern in the building'!

I trust Tap Water from Mexico more than these Covid tests or the alleged antibody tests (I have had both). You cant live your life in fear.

That said, since a certain select group has been deemed immune from even having to show up to work for loosely defined "comorbities, high risk", you should at least get the 14 days (quarantine!) the Families First Coronavirus Response Act allows by law. Push for your 80 hours. It is in everyones best interest. And for fucks sake the CBA allows for Hazard Pay. You have government officials calling you telling you to get tested to see if you have a deadly virus you were potentially exposed to at WORK. The fact that they are fucking around playing coy is par for the course. We are living in the Twilight zone. GL but im sure you will be fine.

"Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because the employee is quarantined (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis; "

I trust Tap Water from Mexico more than these Covid tests or the alleged antibody tests (I have had both). You cant live your life in fear.

That said, since a certain select group has been deemed immune from even having to show up to work for loosely defined "comorbities, high risk", you should at least get the 14 days (quarantine!) the Families First Coronavirus Response Act allows by law. Push for your 80 hours. It is in everyones best interest. And for fucks sake the CBA allows for Hazard Pay. You have government officials calling you telling you to get tested to see if you have a deadly virus you were potentially exposed to at WORK. The fact that they are fucking around playing coy is par for the course. We are living in the Twilight zone. GL but im sure you will be fine.

"Two weeks (up to 80 hours) of paid sick leave at the employee’s regular rate of pay where the employee is unable to work because the employee is quarantined (pursuant to Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a health care provider), and/or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis; "

The tough part is when they send you home on that FFCRA leave because of possible exposure, then it turns out you didn't get it, then a few weeks later you DO get it and don't have those 80 hours left.

As to living life in fear... it's a tough balance to juggle. Been hearing that even if you're not coughing til you drop, this thing still eats away at your lungs. I don't want that shit, especially with my lungs already having issues.

But I also don't want to be confined to the continental U.S--- in a mask--- the rest of my life. If they can't get a reliable vaccine figured out, is that what's in store for us? (Obviously a little overdramatic, but you tell me when schools can safely reopen) And thank God I never cared about attending sporting events or concerts too.

Been hearing that even if you're not coughing til you drop, this thing still eats away at your lungs.

even if it doesn’t kill you it’s giving some people permanent lung damage, some permanent heart damage, others seizures and reduced cognitive ability. Death is just the most extreme outcome and what everyone seems to focus on but it’s no where near the only result that might happen.

even if it doesn’t kill you it’s giving some people permanent lung damage, some permanent heart damage, others seizures and reduced cognitive ability. Death is just the most extreme outcome and what everyone seems to focus on but it’s no where near the only result that might happen.

And that seems to say to me we all have to live life in fear. Not on board with that boat.

If tomorrow the experts came out and said "this is as good as it's gonna get" when it comes to treatment, do we completely upheave how we've lived life so far, and for the remainder of our lives?

The bright side is I don't need a six figure income at the cost of 6 days a week of stress, if all my off time for the rest of my life is gonna be relegated to video games, Netflix, and housework.

And that seems to say to me we all have to live life in fear. Not on board with that boat.

If tomorrow the experts came out and said "this is as good as it's gonna get" when it comes to treatment, do we completely upheave how we've lived life so far, and for the remainder of our lives?

The bright side is I don't need a six figure income at the cost of 6 days a week of stress, if all my off time for the rest of my life is gonna be relegated to video games, Netflix, and housework.
3AA834A1-813E-4B95-850B-EAC73FBC2267.jpeg

[Q
You have to accept some risk and hope your number isn't called yet. That's a lot of what life is.

You should try base jumping if you are so accepting of risk, or telling others they should accept risk.

I taught one controller to base jump back in the day, but I'd come out of retirement to teach you if you like risk so much.

Back
Top Bottom