What do you want to see in the next contract and beyond?

The need for increased pay and staffing is obvious, how we’re actually getting there is far less so. Full disclosure that clearly not all these items are in the purview of a contract negotiation (the “beyond” portion), but discussions of these items are still warranted and some should be advocated for even if they can’t be negotiated. I’ve compiled this list over the last few months – a couple ideas of my own, but mostly ones that have been discussed at my facility or repeated across different forums. I’m sure I’m missing plenty of quality ideas, so I’ll add others’ ideas (with credit) to keep a semi-up to date list, if there’s interest in that. I’m not touching any of the much needed internal NATCA/NEB reforms (aside from firing Rinaldi Consulting into the sun), but I’d gladly add that section too if there are suggestions and interest.

Here we go -

Financial
1. A base pay raise, either percentage or a dollar amount, to address the effects of inflation and lessened spending power of our salaries.
2. A tiered overtime system such as 1-50 hours annually 1.5x, 51-100 1.75x, 101-150 2x, etc.
3. Expansion of the Sunday differential into a weekend differential, giving 25% for Friday 1800-Saturday 2359 and Monday 0000-0600.
4. Tying the pension’s ‘high three’ and the current 5% TSP match to gross salary rather than base salary.
5. Increasing the June 1.6% contract-specified raise.
6. Lowering the four weeks annual leave threshold from 15 years to 10 years.
7. Increasing sick leave in year tiers, similar to annual leave.
8. Increase the pension percentage from years 21+ (1%) to match years 1-20 (1.3%)
9. Increase training premium to 25% and make it permanent.
10. Increase CIC premium from 10% to 20%.
11. Increased TSP matching percentage.
12. Raising the credit cap above 24 hours.
13. Increase the pay of the AG band so new trainees aren’t getting paid poverty wages in high COL areas until they certify on their first positions.
14. Increase sick leave payout at retirement to 100%.
15. Admin time/“Pete leave” given to controller workforce as annual or credit hours.
16. Increase CIP pool and restart it from scratch
17. Increase working an actual holiday from double time to 2.5-3x time. Holiday-in-lieu days stay double time.
18. Increased compensation for contract tower controllers.

Hiring/training/staffing
1. Return to the eastern/central/western placement choices. For lower level, more difficult to staff areas, there should actual effort in the form of recruitment drives at local state/community colleges and high schools.
2. If you put in a set number of years in your first facility, you can transfer to a facility within the region of your choosing.
3. Allow developmentals to swap facilities with other developmentals anytime before beginning D-side school.
4. For facilities with a large training backlog in high cost of living areas, provide better assistance to trainees. Whether that’s finding a way to get them a raise from AG quicker, providing a housing stipend, etc.
5. Push for the creation of an additional FAA Academy (eastern US makes most sense, imo) to help enable increased hiring numbers.
6. Increased funding for upkeep, improvement, and construction of physical facilities
7. Elimination of random drug testing, testing allowed for cause or suspicion.
8. Contract language that specifies “BUE cannot be forced to work on scheduled days off”

Everything else
1. Reduce the power of flight surgeons.
2. While there has some movement on controllers being able to tend to mental health issues without the fear of losing everything, there are still substantial barriers to this.
3. In the interest of transparency, advocate for whistleblower protections for controller workforce and eliminate the ban of controllers talking to the media
4. It is admittedly very low on the priority list now, but there needs to at least be initial discussions on a widely legalized substance that is illegal federally. If that federal classification changes, what if anything could it mean to NATCA members? For starters, its potentially positive impact on sleep length and quality, a core controller issue, is well documented.

I agree with everything except tiered overtime, I think it should be 2x right off the bat

- Night differential should be 4pm-8am
- Rest between shifts should be 10 hours
- A minimum 60 minute recuperative break between hours 4 and 6 of your shift
- 1 work from home day each month to attend virtual recurrent training, do ELMS, self study, etc.

They should also expand protections for people who don't want to work forced OT or can't make it in. The current section that says something like "management shall relieve you from your OT assignment if they determine that personal circumstances will not allow you to make it in." It's very vague, leaves it up to the agency to determine whether or not your circumstances are legit. They need to include something that prevents them from handing out sick leave abuse letters for calling out on a shift on your fucking day off, when you aren't even using any leave.

It might be hard to change anything that is a government wide thing. A lot do these things that people think are in our contract are just things the whole government gets. It gets confusing because Natca acts like they got some of this stuff for us. It’s Just the normal government employee doesn’t work on Sundays, holidays, or does a lot of OT

A good starting point is to figure out other government forums that are getting premiums or benefits that we are not getting. Make sure we get every possible benefit and then negotiate the pay scales

I agree with everything except tiered overtime, I think it should be 2x right off the bat

- Night differential should be 4pm-8am
- Rest between shifts should be 10 hours
- A minimum 60 minute recuperative break between hours 4 and 6 of your shift
- 1 work from home day each month to attend virtual recurrent training, do ELMS, self study, etc.

They should also expand protections for people who don't want to work forced OT or can't make it in. The current section that says something like "management shall relieve you from your OT assignment if they determine that personal circumstances will not allow you to make it in." It's very vague, leaves it up to the agency to determine whether or not your circumstances are legit. They need to include something that prevents them from handing out sick leave abuse letters for calling out on a shift on your fucking day off, when you aren't even using any leave.
First I’ve ever heard someone say work from home for one day. I love that idea honestly let people “catch up” on ELMS is a great way to sell it to the agency. Could even throw in how all of us speed race through ELMS currently making them irrelevant….

First I’ve ever heard someone say work from home for one day. I love that idea honestly let people “catch up” on ELMS is a great way to sell it to the agency. Could even throw in how all of us speed race through ELMS currently making them irrelevant….
I’ll second this, well sold imho.

It might be hard to change anything that is a government wide thing. A lot do these things that people think are in our contract are just things the whole government gets. It gets confusing because Natca acts like they got some of this stuff for us. It’s Just the normal government employee doesn’t work on Sundays, holidays, or does a lot of OT

A good starting point is to figure out other government forums that are getting premiums or benefits that we are not getting. Make sure we get every possible benefit and then negotiate the pay scales
For one. DHS is getting extra free days off around holidays that other agencies are not.

For one. DHS is getting extra free days off around holidays that other agencies are not
Yeah this is true. I thought it was fake but I talked to a few people and they call them Mykoris days off or whatever that DEI hire scum is named. They kind of work like floating time off awards you can take at your discretion when there is staffing.

The need for increased pay and staffing is obvious, how we’re actually getting there is far less so. Full disclosure that clearly not all these items are in the purview of a contract negotiation (the “beyond” portion), but discussions of these items are still warranted and some should be advocated for even if they can’t be negotiated. I’ve compiled this list over the last few months – a couple ideas of my own, but mostly ones that have been discussed at my facility or repeated across different forums. I’m sure I’m missing plenty of quality ideas, so I’ll add others’ ideas (with credit) to keep a semi-up to date list, if there’s interest in that. I’m not touching any of the much needed internal NATCA/NEB reforms (aside from firing Rinaldi Consulting into the sun), but I’d gladly add that section too if there are suggestions and interest.

Here we go -

Financial
1. A base pay raise, either percentage or a dollar amount, to address the effects of inflation and lessened spending power of our salaries.
2. A tiered overtime system such as 1-50 hours annually 1.5x, 51-100 1.75x, 101-150 2x, etc.
3. Expansion of the Sunday differential into a weekend differential, giving 25% for Friday 1800-Saturday 2359 and Monday 0000-0600.
4. Tying the pension’s ‘high three’ and the current 5% TSP match to gross salary rather than base salary.
5. Increasing the June 1.6% contract-specified raise.
6. Lowering the four weeks annual leave threshold from 15 years to 10 years.
7. Increasing sick leave in year tiers, similar to annual leave.
8. Increase the pension percentage from years 21+ (1%) to match years 1-20 (1.3%)
9. Increase training premium to 25% and make it permanent.
10. Increase CIC premium from 10% to 20%.
11. Increased TSP matching percentage.
12. Raising the credit cap above 24 hours.
13. Increase the pay of the AG band so new trainees aren’t getting paid poverty wages in high COL areas until they certify on their first positions.
14. Increase sick leave payout at retirement to 100%.
15. Admin time/“Pete leave” given to controller workforce as annual or credit hours.
16. Increase CIP pool and restart it from scratch
17. Increase working an actual holiday from double time to 2.5-3x time. Holiday-in-lieu days stay double time.
18. Increased compensation for contract tower controllers.

Hiring/training/staffing
1. Return to the eastern/central/western placement choices. For lower level, more difficult to staff areas, there should actual effort in the form of recruitment drives at local state/community colleges and high schools.
2. If you put in a set number of years in your first facility, you can transfer to a facility within the region of your choosing.
3. Allow developmentals to swap facilities with other developmentals anytime before beginning D-side school.
4. For facilities with a large training backlog in high cost of living areas, provide better assistance to trainees. Whether that’s finding a way to get them a raise from AG quicker, providing a housing stipend, etc.
5. Push for the creation of an additional FAA Academy (eastern US makes most sense, imo) to help enable increased hiring numbers.
6. Increased funding for upkeep, improvement, and construction of physical facilities
7. Elimination of random drug testing, testing allowed for cause or suspicion.
8. Contract language that specifies “BUE cannot be forced to work on scheduled days off”

Everything else
1. Reduce the power of flight surgeons.
2. While there has some movement on controllers being able to tend to mental health issues without the fear of losing everything, there are still substantial barriers to this.
3. In the interest of transparency, advocate for whistleblower protections for controller workforce and eliminate the ban of controllers talking to the media
4. It is admittedly very low on the priority list now, but there needs to at least be initial discussions on a widely legalized substance that is illegal federally. If that federal classification changes, what if anything could it mean to NATCA members? For starters, its potentially positive impact on sleep length and quality, a core controller issue, is well documented.
Very solid list. I'd like to add I think the next contract needs to define the minimum length of a break. Something like "standard breaks shall be a minimum of 40 min long. During periods of extreme demand (i.e. thunderstorms, events such as the masters or sun n fun, the days leading up to Thanksgiving), breaks may be reduced to a minimum of 30 mins.

It is currently vague and leaves it open to a 10 min break being acceptable. A80 had standard breaks of 25 min and they would get bumped to 30 or 35 if it was a really low demand period. I've heard it's gotten worse to where management reduced it to 15 min to make a point I guess. That's unacceptable. Just because the FAA can't staff appropriately, doesn't mean they can compensate for it by working skeleton crews to the bones and create an unsafe environment. If they can't staff for 30 min breaks without going over 2 hours, it's time to slap some restrictions on. Maybe some inconveniences and disruptions in service will get the airlines on Congress' and the FAA's ass enough to actually fix the issue.

Very solid list. I'd like to add I think the next contract needs to define the minimum length of a break. Something like "standard breaks shall be a minimum of 40 min long. During periods of extreme demand (i.e. thunderstorms, events such as the masters or sun n fun, the days leading up to Thanksgiving), breaks may be reduced to a minimum of 30 mins.

It is currently vague and leaves it open to a 10 min break being acceptable. A80 had standard breaks of 25 min and they would get bumped to 30 or 35 if it was a really low demand period. I've heard it's gotten worse to where management reduced it to 15 min to make a point I guess. That's unacceptable. Just because the FAA can't staff appropriately, doesn't mean they can compensate for it by working skeleton crews to the bones and create an unsafe environment. If they can't staff for 30 min breaks without going over 2 hours, it's time to slap some restrictions on. Maybe some inconveniences and disruptions in service will get the airlines on Congress' and the FAA's ass enough to actually fix the issue.
Shift converts to overtime

You can always add to, you just can't take away. Example, VA pays health care workers like nurses weekend pay at 25% starting at midnight on Friday until midnight on Sunday. They meet the federal MINIMUM requirement of Sunday but add to that requirement.

You can always add to, you just can't take away. Example, VA pays health care workers like nurses weekend pay at 25% starting at midnight on Friday until midnight on Sunday. They meet the federal MINIMUM requirement of Sunday but add to that requirement.
Yah that would be cool. And they proven they can add premiums. But lots of people are taking about Messing with the tsp and retirement and that could be tough

Speaking of leave, there needs to be something to address the “early releases” that have consistently been granted to FAA employees before every holiday for years. Most controllers are inevitably excluded from these, and over time, it adds up to weeks of leave that we are missing out on. If there is an agency-wide early release, and your supe is unable to approve it due to staffing/work load, you should be entitled to 3 hours of annual leave, or a TOA at the very least.

Speaking of leave, there needs to be something to address the “early releases” that have consistently been granted to FAA employees before every holiday for years. Most controllers are inevitably excluded from these, and over time, it adds up to weeks of leave that we are missing out on. If there is an agency-wide early release, and your supe is unable to approve it due to staffing/work load, you should be entitled to 3 hours of annual leave, or a TOA at the very least.
Please dear god, DHS is able to bank it for a year before it expires.

I feel like there should be some guidance (unless I missed it) regarding the early leave stuff. My sup just says we're not included in that bc we're essential even if we have the staffing to let even 1 person go early.

I know it's government wide, so would be much harder to change, but since we're forced out early, how about at 8-10 years you start earning 8 hours/pp and at 15 years you get 10 hours/pp. Or someone mentioned elsewhere before: increased sick leave accrual.

I think there are going to be a lot of very disappointed controllers if this is the wish list... hate to be the realist. I'd gladly be wrong. But it is a contract negotiation, so what are you expecting to give up in order to gain any of this? Or do you think the FAA will just blindly agree to everything?
What do they care? They don’t have shareholders. And it’ll give raises to all the sups

I think there are going to be a lot of very disappointed controllers if this is the wish list... hate to be the realist. I'd gladly be wrong. But it is a contract negotiation, so what are you expecting to give up in order to gain any of this? Or do you think the FAA will just blindly agree to everything?
I for one would support them giving up the article that allows you to transfer anywhere after 15 years CPC at a level 10-12. The vast majority of controllers won't ever be able to use this or even want to. Based on recent NCEPTs it's only allowed maybe 10 people per year to transfer. They might be able to secure some of these things that would benefit way more people if they gave that up.

Back
Top Bottom