MMPI-2 Tier 2 Process

Is there anyone here from the May 2019 prior experience bid? ( FAA-ATO-19-ATCEXP-61675)

I'm curious if anyone has been contacted by Hope yet.

Applying to any bid once you're in tier 2 does nothing. You have to go through the process, they won't issue another TOL.

Rightfully so.... imagine getting another TOL and not flagging for anything in the personality inventories.

(There is no pass/fail on MMPI)

I applied to 2 bids last year and a direct hire package. So 3 total. I can't remember which one I was on when the MMPI bullshit happened. And not in a position to check right now. I was notified of tier 2 by the old man in June or July..again can't remember. I have not been contacted by hope. And every email I send keeps getting the response "be patient". Hope that helps.

Sorry I’m late to the party. Anyone still here from the 18 bids? I’m July 18 bid. I finally got notified that I failed my mmpi on 10/9/19. Took my tier 2 on 11/12/19. I’m assuming I passed because the psychiatrist didn’t do anything extra nor schedule more appointments. Just one 2hr appointment.

I’m still waiting to hear from the faa on whether I passed though. Just wanted to share this info.

Also, who is HQ?!?! I keep getting told by people I email that they’re “Waiting on HQ”.... who exactly is HQ??

Sorry I’m late to the party. Anyone still here from the 18 bids? I’m July 18 bid. I finally got notified that I failed my mmpi on 10/9/19. Took my tier 2 on 11/12/19. I’m assuming I passed because the psychiatrist didn’t do anything extra nor schedule more appointments. Just one 2hr appointment.

I’m still waiting to hear from the faa on whether I passed though. Just wanted to share this info.

Also, who is HQ?!?! I keep getting told by people I email that they’re “Waiting on HQ”.... who exactly is HQ??
The psychiatrist doesn't make any determinations. They simply fill out the paperwork and send to the the FAA where a flight surgeon will look it over and determine whether or not you pass.

The psychiatrist doesn't make any determinations. They simply fill out the paperwork and send to the the FAA where a flight surgeon will look it over and determine whether or not you pass.

That's not entirely accurate. This may get slightly semantical but I'll do my best to explain it.

1.) Applicant gets flagged for tier 2 from MMPI scores outside the norm (commonly people think they failed, they didn't).
2.) The applicant is forwarded to the VHT (virtual hiring team) to complete the packet for regional flight surgeon review.
3.) Once packet is completed the regional flight surgeon reviews your packet and either denies or approves you to receive a psychological evaluation.
4.) If approved, your packet is sent to HQ in Washington D.C.
5.) Your packet will be reviewed by D.C. BEFORE you even get an evaluation to make sure you're eligible.
6.) D.C. will coordinate an appointment with a local forensic psychologist.
7.) You'll do an evaluation including 2-4 tests and a one on one interview.
8.) The psychologist will make a recommendation to the FAA on to approve/deny/seek further tests.
9.) Psychologist in D.C. reviews EVERYTHING and will ALSO make a recommendation. They are not the deciding factor.
10.) Recommendation from D.C. is sent back to the regional flight surgeon. 99% of the time whatever is recommended is what the VHT/regional flight surgeon will do. I.e., if D.C. says you're not fit then you likely won't get a medical.

Where people, like myself, get held up the most is at step two. Gathering ALL the information D.C. wants.

Once my process concludes I will be putting together a litteral guide on how to have your packet ready the first go around. Might even do a flow chart. People love pictures.

This may be a dumb question but why do they need medical records in their request for more information when you are notified of tier 2?

This may be a dumb question but why do they need medical records in their request for more information when you are notified of tier 2?

They look at everything that could be a factor. Some of the requests are excessive, but the MMPI is a personality inventory. They look at factors that cause you to flag in those areas of the MMPI.

Do you have any examples of excessive requests?

For me I was asked to write a personal statement to "clarify" an event. Though if they looked at the records the answer was already in a report. Seems excessive to double tap something that is 10+ years old and irrelevant to current life. (I say irrelevant because it was genuinely a case of wrong place wrong time).

What seems to be the average wait to get through the tier 2 process?
20 months and counting for me.....but it depends entirely on what's in your background. if you simply "failed" the MMPI it shouldn't take too long.......maybe 6-9 months.

Anything drug/alcohol related.

This as well as also any sort of excessive traffic violations, things that would show you have issues with authority, etc.

It’s a personality inventory exam. Been fired from multiple jobs for mouthing off? Could show up (depends on if those employers reply on your security questionnaires). Multiple speeding tickets, texting while driving, etc? Shows you don’t have respect for safety.

If you have nothing in your background it probably flagged because it thought you were lying or something.

The more info you give us without anything PII helps us advise you what to get ready to avoid the issue of going back and forth on what they’ll need. A lot of us have been here and seen it. Feel free to PM if more comfortable..... or you could read previous posts. Utilize the search function, find my posts and you’ll have most of your answers in this thread.

Received an email from Hope this morning. Stated the staff psychologist completed the review of my case and the recommendation has been sent to medical. I wish she could have advised me if I passed or not. Any idea how much longer?

Received an email from Hope this morning. Stated the staff psychologist completed the review of my case and the recommendation has been sent to medical. I wish she could have advised me if I passed or not. Any idea how much longer?
I can't answer your question, but I'm curious as to how long you've been in the tier II process?

Applied for the OTS 2018 bid. Notified tier 2 April 2019. Had my tier 2 appointment in November.

Surprisingly received an email this morning I have been cleared and need to schedule a drug test since my last one has expired. I’m hoping this is the last step.
It is. Once you're cleared and take the drug test you will just be waiting for a class date/FOL.

Applied for the OTS 2018 bid. Notified tier 2 April 2019. Had my tier 2 appointment in November.

Surprisingly received an email this morning I have been cleared and need to schedule a drug test since my last one has expired. I’m hoping this is the last step.

Congrats and all but this low key annoys me. I’m from 2017 bid, did my eval in November and I’m still waiting.

Back
Top Bottom