NATCA CBA Article 61 Question

Shikaka

Legendary Member
Article 61, Section 2, Paragraph 2

Anyone have some clarification on this, so far as I'm reading it it says if a developmental washes out and is passed probation they should be offered a lower level facility if there is a vacancy there..

Anyone have some clarification on this, so far as I'm reading it it says if a developmental washes out and is passed probation they should be offered a lower level facility if there is a vacancy there..

Definitely not a guarantee I know a dude that washed out of a level 5 up down on LC past his probation. He was recommended to be retained at a level 4, but is now with FSS in Alaska.

Depends on the level and type of facility. A couple D-sides at a center, then either fail or withdraw from training, and you'll get low level tower only facilities to pick from. In radar training at a low-level up/down and don't make it...same thing, lower level towers. Don't make it at a level 5 tower only on local...and it's a little more dicey, but I know of people sent to Level 4 towers. Don't make it on ground at that level 5 tower, and odds are you'll be removed from the FAA, given Flight Data somewhere, or Flight Service in Alaska.
The higher the facility level and the further you make it in training, the better your facility choices from the NEST will be.

Agency showing its skills again, some dude washes out on local at a level five up/down so they move them to a level four tower only (level four towers are often at least twice as busy as the tower portion of a level 5 up/down).

Depends on the level and type of facility. A couple D-sides at a center, then either fail or withdraw from training, and you'll get low level tower only facilities to pick from. In radar training at a low-level up/down and don't make it...same thing, lower level towers. Don't make it at a level 5 tower only on local...and it's a little more dicey, but I know of people sent to Level 4 towers. Don't make it on ground at that level 5 tower, and odds are you'll be removed from the FAA, given Flight Data somewhere, or Flight Service in Alaska.
The higher the facility level and the further you make it in training, the better your facility choices from the NEST will be.
I just got recommended today for radar at my level 5 up/down. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to withdraw from training, they would for sure retain me and send me to a level 4 tower only?

I just got recommended today for radar at my level 5 up/down. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to withdraw from training, they would for sure retain me and send me to a level 4 tower only?
It's not 100% for sure, but a level 4 tower would be likely maybe level 5 depending on which ones need people.
It would be a fairly safe gamble, especially if your get a favorable recommendation from your atm and natca rep. But, just remember it's not guaranteed and there is the chance (slim) you wouldn't be retained.

Stinger, Man, it's so tempting knowing that I'm going to be stuck here for a minimum of 2-3 years. I don't want a failure/withdrawal on my resumé and i could not, in good conscience, bail on the people that put their time and effort in to training me. It just sucks because I love this job and really want to work busy traffic but I control at an airport that undoubtedly has no need for atc. We could easily be a ctaf. Only average 43 ops/day in the tower. On most days we can't even fill up 10 arrivals and 10 departures within the last 24 hours on flightaware.

Stinger, Man, it's so tempting knowing that I'm going to be stuck here for a minimum of 2-3 years. I don't want a failure/withdrawal on my resumé and i could not, in good conscience, bail on the people that put their time and effort in to training me. It just sucks because I love this job and really want to work busy traffic but I control at an airport that undoubtedly has no need for atc. We could easily be a ctaf. Only average 43 ops/day in the tower. On most days we can't even fill up 10 arrivals and 10 departures within the last 24 hours on flightaware.

It’s 2-3 years, people have done worse. I did 5 years in the military, at a facility I cared zero about making less than someone at a level 4/5 in the FAA, while working more hours and dealing with more shit outside of ATC.
Now after 7 years at my current luxurious lvl 12 facility I’m finally headed back home, only took 12 years.

Last edited:
NavyTrev Yeah it probably doesn't sound too bad but that's 2-3 years before we get a single release, which I'll be competing with roughly 12 other people for. It really wouldn't be bad if there was traffic, but there's not. It's literally just go in to work and sit there waiting for something to happen. As a result, training takes way longer than it should, CPC proficiency is lacking, and everyone wants out ASAP. I think that yesterday I spent 4 hours on position in the tower and only talked to 2 different airplanes, and that was on a Saturday with nice weather. At least you probably got some good traffic experience in the military so you can make the big bucks now.

Find a hobby to do to make your time at work more enjoyable. Read, knit, crochet, go outside and hit a tennis ball against the wall. Walk laps or go talk to pilots and find a friend. Just find something and work will be more enjoyable.

I bought a Nintendo Switch. So did a few of my coworkers. Super Smash Bros.

Back
Top Bottom