New York Times names Controller involved with AUS FedEx/Southwest Incident

Wouldn't he be personally liable for any negligent reason

IE-
I was tired as it was my 52nd week of 6 day work weeks
-he shouldve taken sick leave

I know there is a large shield for us but the whole interview was weird
I think that’s more “I was texting on my phone and didn’t see the two planes in conflict”/“I was snorting coke on the desk and forgot to send that plane around” negligible. Exhaustion because of the FAA’s staffing issues falls on the FAA.

I think that’s more “I was texting on my phone and didn’t see the two planes in conflict”/“I was snorting coke on the desk and forgot to send that plane around” negligible. Exhaustion because of the FAA’s staffing issues falls on the FAA.
I guess I'm not asking my question coherently.

Why would he even be allowed to say yes, I was texting/doing coke, etc. At what point should we bring in a personal (or union attorney) and would one be provided.

Do we HAVE to answer any questions, in theory isn't this just the same ol as filing an atsap .00001 miles separation is the same as 4.99999 by the book?

I guess I'm not asking my question coherently.

Why would he even be allowed to say yes, I was texting/doing coke, etc. At what point should we bring in a personal (or union attorney) and would one be provided.

Do we HAVE to answer any questions, in theory isn't this just the same ol as filing an atsap .00001 miles separation is the same as 4.99999 by the book?
The problem with not answering is more on the FAA job side. Lack of candor and all that. You can be as coy as you want, but it won't save you from faa punitive action.

The problem with not answering is more on the FAA job side. Lack of candor and all that. You can be as coy as you want, but it won't save you from faa punitive action.
Well there is no punitive action currently atsap made it non punitive. You'd have to admit to something (or fail the drug test) for punitive action

Well there is no punitive action currently atsap made it non punitive. You'd have to admit to something (or fail the drug test) for punitive action
It would be an investigation about why you wouldn't answer the questions. Not about your job performance. And if you lied on your atsap, they got no problem using that against you. Maybe they fuck up and you eventually get your job/money back. But you make the wrong person in a high up position mad and they won't care about due process. It's the equivalent of getting locked up for disorderly conduct and having the charges dropped the next day. You might be in the right but you still spent the night in jail.

Edit: union link Representing BUEs in Accident Investigation Interviews By The FAA and NTSB

No he wouldn’t. Only the government could be.
Do you know where it says this specifically? I heard this before too, that we can't be sued, as long as it's not considered negligent. I've never been able to find the actually wording where it's written. Probably some USC code XXX. Anyone know?

Bro tried to put two planes together after getting checked out because (allegedly) they were afraid to wash him due to a previous hate crime hoax. How was that not in the article. Unpopular opinion union (brother???) or not. He deserves to have his name printed. On top of his slam poetry, he deserves to have the “terminated” stamp slammed on to his employment application. He makes me and every other POC sick. I can’t stand the words spread around and being marginalized based on a few bad apples. Find another career Mr. Campbell. Face it that this job isn’t for you. Don’t put a black eye on the profession because you can’t cut it. I can do this job. So can others. This whole situation sets an entire group of people back by being associated with this clown. The union needs to look at the individual and take a stand that they are unable to support such behavior. Am I the only member that can’t stand how the unions entire resources are being used to protect the largest class of degenerates? I am ranting like always but I know we can be better and I know we shouldn't be afraid to hold one another accountable. Don’t wash someone just to wash but be able to hold others to a standard and don’t forget that we aren’t playing a video game. Sometimes we forget that there are actual people on these planes. A simple avoidable mistake has the ability to kill 600 people at once. NATCA, I ask you to use use my 2k annual to good use. Not to protect this idiot and send out emails to encourage members to not talk to media and chastise the author. The flying public and tax payers deserve to know the truth.
As a POC it does suck to see someone like this dude, basically successfully fumbling his way through this career field because of using fake race related EO's to get away with being a horrible controller and employee. He kind of waters down our accomplishments making it look like the bar is set lower for us. When the bar was just as high for us as anyone else. Extremely frustrating.

I hope he wasn't on his cell phone during the incident.
I think this needs to be repeated for everyone.

They redacted his cellphone number and provider in the interview if you ever need further proof.

The NTSB will definitely pull this data. So please for the love of god, use good judgement. Or a burner phone.

During the close call in Boston within the last year when a Learjet took off without clearance the jumpseater on the JetBlue was taking video with his phone.

The Line from the interview to paraphrase was ‘I was using my PED in accordance with the JetBlue SOP in my position as a flight deck jumpseater”.

And that had absolutely nothing to do with the incident; but he got dragged into it just being in the jumpseat.

Last edited:
I think this needs to be repeated for everyone.

They redacted his cellphone number and provider in the interview if you ever need further proof.

The NTSB will definitely pull this data. So please for the love of god, use good judgement. Or a burner phone.

During the close call in Boston within the last year when a Learjet took off without clearance the jumpseater on the JetBlue was taking video with his phone.

The Line from the interview to paraphrase was ‘I was using my PED in accordance with the JetBlue SOP in my position as a flight deck jumpseater”.

And that had absolutely nothing to do with the incident; but he got dragged into it just being in the jumpseat.
I noticed they asked for his cell number as well, interesting

Any good lawyer/investigator doesn’t ask a question they don’t know the answer to. This question wasn’t about *actually* getting his number….
And yet nobody said don't answer that because it's personal info. Nobody asked why is that relevant.

We noticed an incoming text message at the time of the incident. Your cell phone could be outside in your car and they'd still say it.

And yet nobody said don't answer that because it's personal info. Nobody asked why is that relevant.

We noticed an incoming text message at the time of the incident. Your cell phone could be outside in your car and they'd still say it.
That's kinda what I was thinking.....

Are you required to turn over this info?

That's all well and good until you tell them the phone was in your car, then they ask how you managed to reply to that text 30 seconds later. Now you just lied to a government official, and losing your job is the least you have to worry about.

That's all well and good until you tell them the phone was in your car, then they ask how you managed to reply to that text 30 seconds later. Now you just lied to a government official, and losing your job is the least you have to worry about.

I'm so paranoid about this stuff I don't put web schedule requests in if I'm on position. I'd hope none of you are texting management while you're on position but I know some people don't think about this stuff.

How's your day going?
I attempt to do my job in accordance with my training and have detailed the information in my atsap
What's your phone number?
I attempt to do my job in accordance with my training and have detailed the information in my atsap
Were you in the Navy?
Oh haha I was in the Navy too. Now that we're bffs tell us why this was your fault?

I don't know how many of you have had the joy of actually being investigated by police but everything from the line of questioning, from him answering repetitive questions to FOUR different interviews over a LONG, BORING, TEDIOUS, process will make you look bad and inconsistent.

Does qualified immunity apply in criminal cases?
No. Qualified immunity applies only in civil lawsuits, not criminal prosecutions

So this is it-as soon as they prove negligence of any sort (phone, fatigue, drugs) its now on you

If you were tired, why didn't you take sick leave?

After you gave us your phone number, we noticed an incoming text?

You said you don't drink alcohol, but on a Facebook post from New years eve 2003 you are holding a bottle of Dom perignon?

I'm not a lawyer but I guarantee any business does NOT want liability for an incident.

This is not a safety investigation as this info is readily available to them from the atsap or any of the FOUR investigators.

Nothing happened this time but this is shady af

Back
Top Bottom