Paid Parental Leave

Two questions-
I read the mou and am still a bit confused...
Once you take a break in leave its like annual?
Or is it call in sick-convert to ppl?

And please kill me in the future....
Do you get more for twins ?

This wasn't around for my first child is there a good guide somewhere
You request intermittent PPL and if it’s approved then it’s basically like sick leave.

Fresh off PPL,

You can use your article 30 to use annual,sick, credit leave all at once before birth. This must be continuous. Afterwards or if you do not use article 30 to burn your own leave accrual you will get 12 weeks of PPL to use in a calendar year from the DOB. No more for twins. Typically people will submit a calendar for leave usage. Once you “return” from PPL you can use the leave as sick leave of schedule it. Management will typically throw a fit and subject you to FMLA guidance however the PPL guidance is completely separate and not subjected to previous guidance. When you bang in with PPL leave you just request it as is and they need to code it as PB1 leave. They will almost certainly mess this up on occasion and you will get to spend lots of time with HR to correct leave.
So I can 'bang' with PPL? if something didn't make it on the calendar for instance

You request intermittent PPL and if it’s approved then it’s basically like sick leave.
at the beginning?

let me get this straight. I can use PLL intermittently? I can sprinkle 12 weeks worth of leave throughout the year?
Also, I’m trying to get FMLA to go to the pregnancy appointments and they pitching a fit about it possibly affecting PPL. Two different things right?

let me get this straight. I can use PLL intermittently? I can sprinkle 12 weeks worth of leave throughout the year?
Also, I’m trying to get FMLA to go to the pregnancy appointments and they pitching a fit about it possibly affecting PPL. Two different things right?
Because PPL is paid, it can’t be invoked until the actual birth of the child/children. You can use FMLA prior, but it’s unpaid, and that time gets subtracted from the paid PPL you can use after birth (PPL is just a paid substitute for FMLA, not in addition to). You can use the PPL intermittently, but it’s “subject to ATM approval” each time if you break it up like that. I’m guessing most ATMs would be cool with that, I think a lot of people use it that way to keep currency.

Last edited:
Because PPL is paid, it can’t be invoked until the actual birth of the child/children. You can use FMLA prior, but it’s unpaid, and that time gets subtracted from the paid PPL you can use after birth (PPL is just a paid substitute for FMLA, not in addition to). You can use the PPL intermittently, but it’s “subject to ATM approval” each time if you break it up like that. I’m guessing most ATMs would be cool with that, I think a lot of people use it that way to keep currency.
Yeah they’re trying to make it to where once I stop using PPL, I forfeit the rest. Which is probably why ima use the whole 12 weeks at once and go back into training. I got left over GI bill to use lol

From my understanding FMLA is separate, guaranteed, unpaid leave. Federally mandated
PPL was put in by the libs for federal employees and is 12 weeks of paid leave.

I'm trying to figure out the details on how to use it

From my understanding FMLA is separate, guaranteed, unpaid leave. Federally mandated
PPL was put in by the libs for federal employees and is 12 weeks of paid leave.

I'm trying to figure out the details on how to use it
Yeah me too. I can’t take spot leave cause my staffing sucks. I’m trying to go to the appointments but don’t wanna give up PPL. I rather just bang until I get PPL

Phillytroll69 use the ppl however you want to and what best fits your family. They cannot say no. If you are scheduled overtime and don’t want to work it, call in sick because if you use fmla, you end up losing ppl hours. Same applies to holidays. I took 8 weeks straight and then came back and worked part time til my kid was 5.5 months old. Some day shifts I would work only 11-3 so I could be there to help in the mornings. Sometimes I worked a full day shift. My swings I worked from 1300-1700 so I could be there for bed time since that’s when my wife needed me the most. So I essentially didn’t work past 5pm til my kid was 5.5 months old. Let me know if you have any more detailed questions on this. I’m pretty well versed on it.

Phillytroll69 use the ppl however you want to and what best fits your family. They cannot say no. If you are scheduled overtime and don’t want to work it, call in sick because if you use fmla, you end up losing ppl hours. Same applies to holidays. I took 8 weeks straight and then came back and worked part time til my kid was 5.5 months old. Some day shifts I would work only 11-3 so I could be there to help in the mornings. Sometimes I worked a full day shift. My swings I worked from 1300-1700 so I could be there for bed time since that’s when my wife needed me the most. So I essentially didn’t work past 5pm til my kid was 5.5 months old. Let me know if you have any more detailed questions on this. I’m pretty well versed on it.
Oh yeah, forgot about Holidays… those don’t count for PPL, so when you’re calculating out your however many days of PPL, don’t include any Holidays. Free days.

Oh yeah, forgot about Holidays… those don’t count for PPL, so when you’re calculating out your however many days of PPL, don’t include any Holidays. Free days.
Technically they can make you use your ppl for holidays you have to go through the normal holiday request to get it off in advance as holiday leave. That’s what they told me at least. The big brain move is to just get currency on holidays tho

False. You have to call in sick, otherwise they will count it against your fmla. It’s all spelled out in the ppl law.
When I used my PPL, I didn’t even consider Holidays when I calculated out my 480 hours. When I came back, I had 32 hours of PPL to still use because our payroll person gave me Holiday leave for 4 Holidays that fell within my leave. I guess each facility just does it their own way.

When I used my PPL, I didn’t even consider Holidays when I calculated out my 480 hours. When I came back, I had 32 hours of PPL to still use because our payroll person gave me Holiday leave for 4 Holidays that fell within my leave. I guess each facility just does it their own way.
That is correct. Holiday leave trumps ppl. But if you requested fmla on that holiday, you get charged fmla. If your facility is well versed on this, they won’t let you use those 32 hours. They will still be listed on your pay stub as a balance but you can’t use them. Now if your facility doesn’t know exactly how it’s supposed to work(my last facility was like this), then they will let you use it.

Back
Top Bottom