Paid Parental Leave

You should know better by now. Management will 100% do whatever they can get away with.
Just spoke with my supervisor about it. Said there was some “meeting” with labor relations about the PPL and how the FAA was approving it incorrectly. NATCA apparently had members sitting in there as well. I asked where the MOU was from this meeting and he said there wasn’t one sent out that he’s aware of. My supervisor is a good dude, so don’t shoot the messenger here.

But yes, I should have looked it up and argued it when the MOU clearly says we can use it intermittently.

EDIT: I’m in the ASO if that means anything.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

Keep going and you’ll find my post saying “I fucked up” lol

Just spoke with my supervisor about it. Said there was some “meeting” with labor relations about the PPL and how the FAA was approving it incorrectly. NATCA apparently had members sitting in there as well. I asked where the MOU was from this meeting and he said there wasn’t one sent out that he’s aware of. My supervisor is a good dude, so don’t shoot the messenger here.

But yes, I should have looked it up and argued it when the MOU clearly says we can use it intermittently.

EDIT: I’m in the ASO if that means anything.

Shit I know people who got put on AWS so they’d come in 2 days a week for 20 hours of OT

I’m wondering what I can do cuz the 12 weeks is almost over now. Lost opportunities for more wages by working Sundays. Yay.
I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to break it up going forward. Present the NATCA paperwork and the HR paperwork (states you can take intermittent leave) and submit the days you want off and want to work. If they counter it then they have to present paperwork justifying why they deny it; it’s on them. You should grieve it if they deny it

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to break it up going forward. Present the NATCA paperwork and the HR paperwork (states you can take intermittent leave) and submit the days you want off and want to work. If they counter it then they have to present paperwork justifying why they deny it; it’s on them. You should grieve it if they deny it
No point now. I have 4 weeks left. But you have a point. Best to help others moving forward and not make a mistake like me.

My ATM said I had to take the 12 weeks straight, and that I wasn’t allowed to come in to stay current. I asked why, and he said 12 weeks straight is the correct way PPL is supposed to be utilized. That the FAA was cracking down on facilities allowing people to break up their PPL.
All of this is at the discretion of the ATM and your ATM sounds like a giant fucktard

Now that I’m reading the MOU, I see where I could’ve used PPL intermittently. Meaning, I could’ve gone in every Sunday if I wanted. Someone correct me on this if I’m reading it wrong, otherwise my manager just robbed me of money and proficiency time. Why didn’t I read the MOU prior to taking leave? Thought I could trust management to tell me the correct information while I’m running around like a chicken with my head cut off cuz my wife is going into labor 4 weeks early.
Where was your rep in all this?

Train? I had an over the shoulder and was done in 15 min
If your gone for 3 months you wont qualify for an over the shoulder. All this changed in the new training order. I’m not sure if you like start June 3rd current and come back August 30th maybe you can finesse it. Cus I think it’s 30 days after you lose your cert which wouldn’t be till the next month. But you can just go on PPL and then wash out on your recert and go to the nest and transfer 🤣

7. Recertification. The purpose of recertification is to recertify an individual on a position when a loss of currency or a performance-related decertification is involved. FAA Form

3120-25, -32, or -36 must be used to document all OJT and recertification skill checks (see

Figure 4-1).

a. Loss of Currency. To be recertified, the individual must demonstrate, under direct monitoring, the ability to satisfactorily perform operational duties during normal workload conditions. Recertification may be accomplished on an individual position or by a single action covering multiple positions at the discretion of the ATM or their designee. If classroom, simulation, or OJT is conducted prior to recertification, a training plan will be developed in accordance with this order. Recertification must be recorded on FAA Form 3120-1, Section III, or the electronic equivalent. When conducting recertification following a loss of currency, count the number of days from the date currency was lost. Administer training accordingly as described below. If recertification is not achieved, the ATM or their designee must take action in accordance with Agency guidelines.

Within 30 days. At the discretion of an OS/STMC, an individual may be recertified without training. If the individual does not achieve recertification, then training must be assigned under subparagraph (2) below.

(2)More than 30 days but fewer than 120 days. The individual must receive OJT of up to 50 percent of Target Time established for a trainee without previous experience. Training may include electronic learning, classroom, PTT, or simulation at the discretion of the TA.

(3) 120 days or more. The individual must receive OJT of up to 100 percent of the Target Time established for a trainee without previous experience. The individual must receive classroom and simulation training. The amount of classroom and simulation, where available, will be determined by the TA.

(4) If the individual fails to recertify under subparagraph (2) or (3) above, refer to the applicable CBA.

Last edited:
If your gone for 3 months you wont qualify for an over the shoulder. All this changed in the new training order. I’m not sure if you like start June 3rd current and come back August 30th maybe you can finesse it. Cus I think it’s 30 days after you lose your cert which wouldn’t be till the next month. But you can just go on PPL and then wash out on your recert and go to the nest and transfer 🤣

7. Recertification. The purpose of recertification is to recertify an individual on a position when a loss of currency or a performance-related decertification is involved. FAA Form

3120-25, -32, or -36 must be used to document all OJT and recertification skill checks (see

Figure 4-1).

a. Loss of Currency. To be recertified, the individual must demonstrate, under direct monitoring, the ability to satisfactorily perform operational duties during normal workload conditions. Recertification may be accomplished on an individual position or by a single action covering multiple positions at the discretion of the ATM or their designee. If classroom, simulation, or OJT is conducted prior to recertification, a training plan will be developed in accordance with this order. Recertification must be recorded on FAA Form 3120-1, Section III, or the electronic equivalent. When conducting recertification following a loss of currency, count the number of days from the date currency was lost. Administer training accordingly as described below. If recertification is not achieved, the ATM or their designee must take action in accordance with Agency guidelines.

Within 30 days. At the discretion of an OS/STMC, an individual may be recertified without training. If the individual does not achieve recertification, then training must be assigned under subparagraph (2) below.

(2)More than 30 days but fewer than 120 days. The individual must receive OJT of up to 50 percent of Target Time established for a trainee without previous experience. Training may include electronic learning, classroom, PTT, or simulation at the discretion of the TA.

(3) 120 days or more. The individual must receive OJT of up to 100 percent of the Target Time established for a trainee without previous experience. The individual must receive classroom and simulation training. The amount of classroom and simulation, where available, will be determined by the TA.

(4) If the individual fails to recertify under subparagraph (2) or (3) above, refer to the applicable CBA.
They change this stupid shit so often I can’t keep up. And it’s all arbitrary changes made on a whim, I am convinced lol

Anyone have an idea how PPL works during a government shutdown? Specifically if already on PPL when a shutdown starts vs PPL set to start in the middle of a shutdown

Anyone have an idea how PPL works during a government shutdown? Specifically if already on PPL when a shutdown starts vs PPL set to start in the middle of a shutdown
Request to be in furlough status and then resume PPL when the shut down ends, get paid for more time not working.

Just a guess and a hope? Lol

Pretty sure we're authorized to take leave during government shutdowns now so the free leave scam has ended unfortunately.
Its still free leave. Now it's just officially free leave instead of "hope congress passes the right law" leave.

Edit: actually I'm wording this the wrong way, but the gist is that you get paid as long as you have a approved absence (sick leave, fmla, pre approved annual etc)

Last edited:
Two questions-
I read the mou and am still a bit confused...
Once you take a break in leave its like annual?
Or is it call in sick-convert to ppl?

And please kill me in the future....
Do you get more for twins ?

This wasn't around for my first child is there a good guide somewhere

Two questions-
I read the mou and am still a bit confused...
Once you take a break in leave its like annual?
Or is it call in sick-convert to ppl?

And please kill me in the future....
Do you get more for twins ?

This wasn't around for my first child is there a good guide somewhere
Fresh off PPL,

You can use your article 30 to use annual,sick, credit leave all at once before birth. This must be continuous. Afterwards or if you do not use article 30 to burn your own leave accrual you will get 12 weeks of PPL to use in a calendar year from the DOB. No more for twins. Typically people will submit a calendar for leave usage. Once you “return” from PPL you can use the leave as sick leave of schedule it. Management will typically throw a fit and subject you to FMLA guidance however the PPL guidance is completely separate and not subjected to previous guidance. When you bang in with PPL leave you just request it as is and they need to code it as PB1 leave. They will almost certainly mess this up on occasion and you will get to spend lots of time with HR to correct leave.

Back
Top Bottom