Paid Parental Leave

So on the topic of Paid Parental Leave... Is it more beneficial to use all 12 weeks at once or to break it up into the 480 hours?

If you break it up over time, can they deny or cancel certain days or segments you put in for?

So on the topic of Paid Parental Leave... Is it more beneficial to use all 12 weeks at once or to break it up into the 480 hours?

If you break it up over time, can they deny or cancel certain days or segments you put in for?
Whatever works for you best to be beneficial. I broke mine up. 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 3 days, 1 week. 1 month. Give or take.

There’s an entire MOU for these questions.

Attachments

• NATCA-Paid-Parental-Leave-MOU-Final-Signed-Sep-2020.pdf
    243.9 KB · Views: 127

Which is more beneficial will be entirely up to the individual. I broke mine up. I’m in the shortest staffed area of the shortest staffed building afaik and haven’t had any denied. Ymmv.

Management says that since I used my 480 hours of PPL that I can no longer invoke FMLA to use AL. I have 4 months remaining on my FMLA letter. My child will have surgery and I didn’t want to use my entire SL balance. Other people didn’t have the same issue here in the past. Our front office are morons (like most facilities).

Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Management says that since I used my 480 hours of PPL that I can no longer invoke FMLA to use AL. I have 4 months remaining on my FMLA letter. My child will have surgery and I didn’t want to use my entire SL balance. Other people didn’t have the same issue here in the past. Our front office are morons (like most facilities).

Can anyone confirm? Thanks!
1. They cannot dictate what type of leave you want to use if you have an open fmla approval. You can use whatever leave you request. That I am 100 percent in.
2. Fmla allows for only 480 hours, but you already knew that. But you do have to find out if the 480 hour cap also includes ppl and fmla. Or if they are separate. I know they are separate laws or set of rules, but don’t not know if either one of them dictates usage based on the other. That’s what you are looking for

I'm currently on PPL and have been going in 3 days a month to maintain currency. I'm being told now that I've basically lost the hours for the days I've come in. Based off this thread that's incorrect but i don't see exactly where in the MOU or guidance that it can't be broken up. Can someone point me in the right direction.

I'm currently on PPL and have been going in 3 days a month to maintain currency. I'm being told now that I've basically lost the hours for the days I've come in. Based off this thread that's incorrect but i don't see exactly where in the MOU or guidance that it can't be broken up. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Lost the hours for the days? Meaning you don’t get those days as paid days off?

Basically that lost out om 48 hours of my PPL because of the days I've gone into work to maintain currency and not have to go back into training or get over the shoulders.
That’s wrong. Hours worked is different from the PPL. It even shows on your paycheck of 480 hours and subtracts what you use. You are entitled to 12 weeks(480hours) of paid leave. Use the natca forms and when they deny it, grieve it.

That’s wrong. Hours worked is different from the PPL. It even shows on your paycheck of 480 hours and subtracts what you use. You are entitled to 12 weeks(480hours) of paid leave. Use the natca forms and when they deny it, grieve it.
Didn't even realize it was on the LES like that. I'll use that thanks.

Yeah that’s completely wrong and false. Whoever told you that either hasn’t actually read the rules or doesn’t understand them. I’ve used it twice now and both times I retained all my leave for use while coming in for currency.

Pro tip: come in on your OT day. Even better if they can put you on AWS and you come in 2 OT days a week.

Pro tip: work when you want rather than maximizing the amount you screw the tax payer just because.

You get 12 weeks paid at no cost to you and you still have your hand out.

What losers.
If there's a need for OT there's a need for OT. Absolutely no bearing on who works it to your beloved taxpayer.

if facilities were properly staffed then there’d be no OT available. Properly staffing a facility costs more than OT. No one is being scammed.
We can’t even treat the trainees we have well let alone staff. And that’s from both management and bue, what makes you think this shit would be any different if you added more bodies?

We can’t even treat the trainees we have well let alone staff. And that’s from both management and bue, what makes you think this shit would be any different if you added more bodies?
There’s already facilities that have good staffing. Where trianees get 5 hours a day and there’s barely any OT. you can train your way to go staffing.

There’s already facilities that have good staffing. Where trianees get 5 hours a day and there’s barely any OT. you can train your way to go staffing.
I agree. Good training and culture are the key. I was speaking for the facilities where people feel trapped. They are either bad at one or both.

Last edited:
I agree. Good training and culture are the key. I was speaking for the people who feel trapped. There are either bad at one or both.
The problem is the FAA made a process where no one is happy. Imagine training people that actually wanted to stay at that facility forever.

Back
Top Bottom