Post 9/11 GI Bill

Been doing some research and it appears as if a recent court ruling (Rudsill vs. McDonough/JUL21) gave those with both the Montgomery GI and Post 9/11 GI Bill the ability to use both at separate times (regardless of conversion or order of use).

I just applied through va.gov to use the Montgomery GI Bill to train in my facility. I had previously exhausted all of my Post 9/11 for school, but the article (link below) makes it sound like the VA will now give you the other benefit after one has been exhausted.

Additionally, there isn’t much on the VA’s website to indicate that only one or the other benefit must be used, but they also don’t openly say that both are usable. Sadly, you know they don’t like to openly advertise more earned benefits. Of note, I was one of those who had the Montgomery GI Bill and converted to Post 9/11 before using it…

Lastly, I am also eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) which may be another way to earn money while on OJT after the active duty Montgomery GI Bill runs out.

I’ll be researching some more and asking the VA some questions if/when I get a hold of them. More to folllow…

Been doing some research and it appears as if a recent court ruling (Rudsill vs. McDonough/JUL21) gave those with both the Montgomery GI and Post 9/11 GI Bill the ability to use both at separate times (regardless of conversion or order of use).

I just applied through va.gov to use the Montgomery GI Bill to train in my facility. I had previously exhausted all of my Post 9/11 for school, but the article (link below) makes it sound like the VA will now give you the other benefit after one has been exhausted.

Additionally, there isn’t much on the VA’s website to indicate that only one or the other benefit must be used, but they also don’t openly say that both are usable. Sadly, you know they don’t like to openly advertise more earned benefits. Of note, I was one of those who had the Montgomery GI Bill and converted to Post 9/11 before using it…

Lastly, I am also eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) which may be another way to earn money while on OJT after the active duty Montgomery GI Bill runs out.

I’ll be researching some more and asking the VA some questions if/when I get a hold of them. More to folllow…
Update to the post above…

Those who served before 2013, is it true you only get 15 years to use it? Is there a way around this? I stopped mine at my first facility in 2017 and 15 years passed since I got out in 2004. I was denied recently at my new FAC. Thanks for input either way.

Those who served before 2013, is it true you only get 15 years to use it? Is there a way around this? I stopped mine at my first facility in 2017 and 15 years passed since I got out in 2004. I was denied recently at my new FAC. Thanks for input either way.
FD3FEE48-6634-46F4-8D00-D1A74C76A32C.jpeg

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this... Is the limit of 5,378 hours for "ATC - Terminal" counting all the hours of every facility you've submitted hours for or does it reset for each facility?

This document states:
"If you are a controller and eventually transfer, you can re‐enter training and receive benefits; however, your benefits will not return to the 100 percent level and program hours do not reset."

But also says:

"After you complete your training or reach the maximum allowed hours for the program, the facility certifying official must dis‐enroll you from the program. If you have additional benefits remaining on your GI Bill, they may be used for other purposes such as higher education, for re‐entering training as a result of a transfer, or other VA‐approved reasons."

So which is it? Hours reset or they don't?

hours don't reset. neither of the lines you quoted disagree with that.

I’m a CPC and Im moving areas to train again in another area. If I resume using the GI bill would my payment amount reset to 100 percent since I’m restarting training even though it’s the same facility?

Back
Top Bottom