Forum Sage
So I’m familiar with the use of the GI bill during training:

100% - 1-6 months
80% - 7-12 months
60% - 13-18 months
40% - 19-24 months
20% - Rest of training time

Now, my question is:

Does my time restart if I transfer to a new facility and start training there? And if that’s not the case, how many months fall under the “rest of training time” category? Or is it a one time/first facility thing?

Yes it restarts at 100%. The amount of GI Bill you’ve used though does not reset.

So that gets to my next point, is the total amount of “months of OJTI” you get still equal to the 36 months of GI Bill you get at a standard academic facility (ie college etc)?

So that gets to my next point, is the total amount of “months of OJTI” you get still equal to the 36 months of GI Bill you get at a standard academic facility (ie college etc)?
It's not, but I don't know how or why. ??‍♂️
Between school and FAA I used mine for almost 4 years, and I still have two months left.

You still get equal to 36 months of total full time benefit, but that's not necessarily based on calendar time. IE those 40% payments don't count as full month, etc. I know a couple ppl who work in education in the VA and I think based on the fine print a case could be made for not starting over at 100% insofar as you're no longer an apprentice and/or have an overzealous cerifying official blah blah, but I've never heard of it happening. I assume you could even argue difference between tracon, artcc, tmu, tower, etc is ostensibly a completely different job anyway.

Amusing anecdote: I once had a congressionally capped out old timer ask me "how I sleep w myself, knowing I'm double dipping". :lol:

Amusing anecdote: I once had a congressionally capped out old timer ask me "how I sleep w myself, knowing I'm double dipping". :lol:

Shit... nice and cozy! Haha but hmm.. seems to be some conflicting statements as towards how many total hours of “training time” you get regardless of split time. That’s a curious one. The cool thing is you get to reset to 100% at each new facility.

Don’t know if it’ll be your first time using the benefit or not but the fastest way to get paid is by uploading the document to the GI Bill VA website. Faxes literally get lost and sit in a pile of other faxes. Online submission opens a ticket and requires receipt acknowledgment, and they don’t have to leave their desk/computer. I can DM you the link if interested.

Don’t know if it’ll be your first time using the benefit or not but the fastest way to get paid is by uploading the document to the GI Bill VA website. Faxes literally get lost and sit in a pile of other faxes. Online submission opens a ticket and requires receipt acknowledgment, and they don’t have to leave their desk/computer. I can DM you the link if interested.
for submitting hours or the application? could you post link

for submitting hours or the application? could you post link
For submitting hours. You’ll have to create an account (basic info) and upload the hours document as an attachment. Someone at the VA told me to do that to avoid human delays. Once I started doing that I no longer had to call asking about the status and was always paid promptly.

I created a template for reference.650F0817-52E7-465D-A7ED-6B609B144EBD.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not, but I don't know how or why. ??‍♂️
Between school and FAA I used mine for almost 4 years, and I still have two months left.

From what my retention and benefits manager told me, you can use up to 48 months of educational benefits if you are eligible for more than one program.

For example, I am eligible for the Ch 1606 ANG educational bill and the Post 9/11 based on my years of active service. Both are 36 months of benefits but between the two you can only use a max of 48. I used the 1606 for a year then switched cause the 9/11 pays BAH rate and tuition while the 1606 pays a 750 or so stipend.

I feel like I should be looking into this.

Hopefully after I go through tier 2 I’ll get to the academy.

I have both GI bills. How do you use them for OTJ when you’re employed? I’m a little confused.

I feel like I should be looking into this.

Hopefully after I go through tier 2 I’ll get to the academy.

I have both GI bills. How do you use them for OTJ when you’re employed? I’m a little confused.

Yeah I've already been digging into researching it haha.

Being a nasty girl my ADOS active time doesn't count unfortunately.

Though based on what I've read you can use the various GI Bills (Post 9/11, montgomery, etc).

Just an update for anyone else that is curious. I called the VA.

National Guardsmen do qualify for the Montgomery Gi Bill 1606 stipend while doing OTJ. Same application process.

It's $384 a month stipend while in training.

From what my retention and benefits manager told me, you can use up to 48 months of educational benefits if you are eligible for more than one program.

I think someone might have gotten lost in translation. You can use more than 48 months worth of benefits if you have it available but you can't use a single benefit for more than that time period unless it's supplemented.

Instances such as VocREHAB which utilise the GI Bill for 36 months then it's supplemented to extend those same benefits longer and then some.

To be clear you can only elect to use 1, for example the Post 9/11 and Montogomery. you are going to have to elect to use one of them. When you do that, you are ineligible to use the other. In most cases Post 9/11 is the best choice, though sometimes the Montgomery makes more sense so do your homework. You're first going to want to decide which to use then apply for that one on the VA/Ebenefits website. Then a certificate of eligibility will be mailed to your home address, that's needed by whoeverdoes you're certification at your fac. Step 2 ???. Step 3 Profit.

It’s not multiple programs. I think someone else mentioned it, but the ojt isn’t 1 for 1 time wise,I just can’t find specific info on it. It’s like if you go to school part time, you won’t use the same amount of benefits as if you went full time.

I'm only eligible for the Montgomery. I haven't deployed.

I was ADOS as a Supply Sergeant for 8 months. Then I've been either a Title 32 federal technician and now currently Title 5 civilian federal.

None of those three qualify. Only Title 10 orders do.

For submitting hours. You’ll have to create an account (basic info) and upload the hours document as an attachment. Someone at the VA told me to do that to avoid human delays. Once I started doing that I no longer had to call asking about the status and was always paid promptly.

I created a template for reference.View attachment 2485
That’s awesome. Thanks!

Is anybody else previously active duty went national guard? If so I have a few questions, feel free to DM.

Back
Top Bottom