RPO at MMAC?

P

pez

Does anyone know about working as an RPO at the academy?

How competitive is it to get hired?

Do all the RPOs end up working the PV problems? Does the FAA care if you've done that and then you get picked up for ATC training?

What about working R-side in the enroute labs? Is that an FAA job or contract?

I used to be an RPO at MMAC before being hired as a controller. I worked in RTF and Enroute.

1. It isn't that competitive to get hired. If you apply to the job it should be through Chickasaw Nation Industries (aka CNI). If you're a prior controller you should apply to SAIC.

2. You will not work PV's if you are an ellegible CTI or future controller. If you are not planning on pursuing a future in ATC 2152, then after getting some experience you will be allowed to run PV's. Most of the older RPO's (top 25) run PV's. They are also going to be your trainers, they've been there forever.

3. The FAA does not care if you've worked there or were an RPO there. You are judged equally amongst your peers when you apply to the AT-2152 bid on USAJOBS.

4. R-sides in the Enroute lab is a contract job, however they are employed by SAIC and the requirement is that you were a previously experienced controller who have a CTO.

I agree with everything except this :

“You are judged equally amongst your peers when you apply to the AT-2152 bid on USAJOBS.“

They haven’t judged equally in years!

I too am looking to be a RPO at the academy. I applied already. My Teacher was an instructor there and still goes back from time to time. He’s recommending me so hope I can get it. I believe the pay is $22 an hour. Can anyone confirm this? And can anyone give me some information about a typical schedule I can expect to work and what benefits the job comes with and raises and anything else. Thank you.

I worked there about two and a half years ago when it was still Raytheon. As far as schedule goes it was very inconsistent. I was hired on as full time, but based on the number of class s going through at that time they needed more or less rpos. Some weeks I would have 5 shifts, others two or three. All of this was done based on seniority. You can also be scheduled for either the am or pm shift with about a weeks notice, and turns or doubles were a common occurrence. When shifts weren't there people would show up at the start of this shift hoping that someone was late even by just a minute or two so that they could try and claim their shift for the hours. The pros are that the cost of living is pretty cheap, and working there's gives you a good idea of how the academy works.

I worked there about two and a half years ago when it was still Raytheon. As far as schedule goes it was very inconsistent. I was hired on as full time, but based on the number of class s going through at that time they needed more or less rpos. Some weeks I would have 5 shifts, others two or three. All of this was done based on seniority. You can also be scheduled for either the am or pm shift with about a weeks notice, and turns or doubles were a common occurrence. When shifts weren't there people would show up at the start of this shift hoping that someone was late even by just a minute or two so that they could try and claim their shift for the hours. The pros are that the cost of living is pretty cheap, and working there's gives you a good idea of how the academy works.
Thanks for the insight. You mind telling me average take home for two weeks and hourly wage?

believe the pay is $22 an hour. Can anyone confirm this? And can anyone give me some information about a typical schedule I can expect to work and what benefits the job comes with and raises and anything else. Thank you.
Its like 16.99 base pay plus 4 something for the health and welfare pay so around 22/hr. Average take home per check is 1200 to 1300 depending on shifts(day,night, tower diff) no paid benefits(they offer plans but are expensive), very little pay raises.

Back
Top Bottom