Security Clearance Information

Just wondering... I have a expunged weed arrest (and violation) from like 6 years ago. I of course will be reporting it along with the isolated usage. Does anyone know if this will give me any problems? I of course have learned my lesson and would never be that foolish again.

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you are. I have an underage drinking charge from when I was 18. I haven't been in trouble since, but I'm hoping that won't give me problems as well :/

Anybody mind dropping some sick knowledge on the security process? I had the sit down interview with the security investigator in March, and got called again this past Thursday by another lady to clear a couple of things up before they sent their investigation up the chain. Does it go to OPM for a recommendation to be provided to the FAA and then they make their decision? How long does that process work? During all of this what can the security POC for the FAA do to expedite the process, and does he/she have any decision making powers on the final decision to grant the clearance?

Much appreciated!

Anybody mind dropping some sick knowledge on the security process? I had the sit down interview with the security investigator in March, and got called again this past Thursday by another lady to clear a couple of things up before they sent their investigation up the chain. Does it go to OPM for a recommendation to be provided to the FAA and then they make their decision? How long does that process work? During all of this what can the security POC for the FAA do to expedite the process, and does he/she have any decision making powers on the final decision to grant the clearance?

Much appreciated!
The FAA doesn't have anything to do with it. They only send off the request and receive the determination.

Attachments

• security clearance 101 pp presentation.pdf
    459.2 KB · Views: 157
do all candidates go through a personal interview? i haven't heard of others with TOLs going through CIL having to schedule an interview.

The FAA doesn't have anything to do with it. They only send off the request and receive the determination.

Thanks for the slides, very informative. Slide 15 seems to tell another story, but at this point it really doesn't matter. The only thing I can do is continue waiting for word, calling my POC, and hoping for the best.

Just wondering... I have a expunged weed arrest (and violation) from like 6 years ago. I of course will be reporting it along with the isolated usage. Does anyone know if this will give me any problems? I of course have learned my lesson and would never be that foolish again.
You will be fine, I believe its 3 years from last use. Anything other then recreational use can cause you to fail an SF-86 though. Recreational use is considered less then 15 times. Of course you don't take a polygraph for ATC either.

Does anyone have a timeline from their initial interview to the actual security clearance approval? Mine started in March, and had an interview about a month ago, with a follow up 5 minute conversation with the investigator 2 weeks ago.

I'm getting a secret for an en route position.

Does anyone have a timeline from their initial interview to the actual security clearance approval? Mine started in March, and had an interview about a month ago, with a follow up 5 minute conversation with the investigator 2 weeks ago.

There really is no timeline.

I have a few questions. The first being about the fingerprint cards. It says in the email to "Please use the cards provided by the department if possible". By that do they mean the local police department, or to print out the card in the email? It also says to obtain two sets of fingerprints. Is that two cards or just a right and a left hand on the one card? I'm assuming two cards but I want to make sure.

Also, for the security portion, I just have to complete the DOTC 1631 and mail it with the fingerprints, and do the SF-86 online, correct?

The background check is all done online so it shouldn't be an issue. Although you do need to get your fingerprints done. Trying to do medical overseas will be the problem.

got TOL 03/17 flew stateside to do fingerprints and drug/alcohol test ....specimen got lost in chain of custody now waiting patiently for background check
ATSS btw

Are you still waiting for a clearance? JW

Found out I have to meet with the security investigator. Is there anything I should bring to the interview or anything I should review beforehand? Also, I have some debt (~$5k student loans [income-based repayment plan], under ~$2k medical bills [collection] and under $300 in CC debt [late]), should I setup a payment plan for these or is it too late at this point? (we meet this week)

Found out I have to meet with the security investigator. Is there anything I should bring to the interview or anything I should review beforehand? Also, I have some debt (~$5k student loans [income-based repayment plan], under ~$2k medical bills [collection] and under $300 in CC debt [late]), should I setup a payment plan for these or is it too late at this point? (we meet this week)
I would think anything moving in the right direction would be helpful, but that's not any kind of expert advice. The whole thing is largely a check to see if your a responsible adult or a potential vulnerability.

Let us know what they say about it, I'm sure many people are in the same boat.

Set up the payment plan now. Should of already done that... but I guess it can't hurt to still do that. I knew I was getting this job so I set up a plan for debt I had in collections well before I was hired and was cleared after I met with the investigator. You have to prokbe that you are making some sort of effort to pay your debt and not just ignoring it.

Back
Top Bottom