Shoot The Breeze 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social media lets elected officials gain fame in popular culture instead of doing real politics. Now one can win an elected office and use that to become a social media celebrity. AOC and "Squad" members have a lot of followers that give them influence and open up other career prospects. Having a social media influencer empire is better than being a real legislator—it's immediately rewarding—and politics takes a back seat to the internet attention system™. Online and offline "Squad" members play the characters of a social media victims/celebrities who demand loyalty from their fan base; they don't play the true role of public servants with accountability. Everything they say on social media sounds like a reprimand from some activist instead of a member of Congress.

Social media lets elected officials gain fame in popular culture instead of doing real politics. Now one can win an elected office and use that to become a social media celebrity. AOC and "Squad" members have a lot of followers that give them influence and open up other career prospects. Having a social media influencer empire is better than being a real legislator—it's immediately rewarding—and politics takes a back seat to the internet attention system™. Online and offline "Squad" members play the characters of a social media victims/celebrities who demand loyalty from their fan base; they don't play the true role of public servants with accountability. Everything they say on social media sounds like a reprimand from some activist instead of a member of Congress.
Say whatever you want about how AOC got famous but you can’t deny she’s an intelligent and articulate person. I don’t agree with her on everything but if I was in her camp I’d be happy to have her represent me. I might be more apt to agree with you on the other squad mates though.

Say whatever you want about how AOC got famous but you can’t deny she’s an intelligent and articulate person. I don’t agree with her on everything but if I was in her camp I’d be happy to have her represent me. I might be more apt to agree with you on the other squad mates though.
Yeah she’s so intelligent 90% of her proposals got turned away. Her Green New Deal had nothing to do with climate change, drives a $50K Tesla - but she’s one of “us”?

Yeah she’s so intelligent 90% of her proposals got turned away. Her Green New Deal had nothing to do with climate change, drives a $50K Tesla - but she’s one of “us”?
If I made what a member makes I’d drive a 50k Tesla too. And if you’re basing her intelligence on how many of her proposals get turned away by the US House of Representatives I don’t think you’re making the argument you think you are.

You literally voted for a tv host

I’d be curious how many people are going to claim a medical exemption only to be greeted with their medical getting pulled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom