Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I think it would be cool to have a popular vote system, I can only imagine the amount of dems in red states or pubs in blue states whose votes for who is president don't matter at all and therefore don't vote, even though state elections and propositions are important too.

It would definitely increase voter turnout if people thought their vote mattered

Man I think it would be cool to have a popular vote system, I can only imagine the amount of dems in red states or pubs in blue states whose votes for who is president don't matter at all and therefore don't vote, even though state elections and propositions are important too.

It would definitely increase voter turnout if people thought their vote mattered
It’ll never happen. Republicans know they’ll never win another presidential election with a popular vote model. Our only hope would be the popular vote compact to be passed by enough states but my guess is the hacks that now sit on the Supreme Court would strike that down.

It’ll never happen. Republicans know they’ll never win another presidential election with a popular vote model. Our only hope would be the popular vote compact to be passed by enough states but my guess is the hacks that now sit on the Supreme Court would strike that down.
Let’s do popular vote, with mandatory voter ID. If larger 3rd world countries can do it, so can we.

Let’s do popular vote, with mandatory voter ID. If larger 3rd world countries can do it, so can we.
Give us a national ID that everyone gets then I’m down. Don’t say SSN because that’s not an ID and was never intended to be one.

Do that and eliminate the two party system. I think that would fix a lot of what ills this country, at least when it comes to Washington disfunction.

Give us a national ID that everyone gets then I’m down. Don’t say SSN because that’s not an ID and was never intended to be one.
I might be wrong but don't we already have this in a sense with Real ID? I know not all states currently have it implemented.

Do that and eliminate the two party system. I think that would fix a lot of what ills this country, at least when it comes to Washington disfunction.
I’m with you, but that is a big ask. It’s funny how well optimized our system is to support two and only two parties... we’re talking about changing the way people vote when we don’t even have a system where all the votes count.

I mean I know this is insane, but our local takes polls using surveymonkey regarding spending money on furniture, what the mid rotation should look like, etc.

I know it’s not secure or really binding, but nobody is allowed to vote twice and the results are pretty instantaneous.

I find it shocking in 2020 that we can't have a QR code that every registered voter gets in the Mail to make this happen.

Also, the simple fact that one must be registered to vote in order to do so is a vestige of poll taxes and discrimination. If you‘re a citizen and have a SSN, you should be able to vote.

Arm the homeless!

I’m with you, but that is a big ask. It’s funny how well optimized our system is to support two and only two parties... we’re talking about changing the way people vote when we don’t even have a system where all the votes count.
Oh absolutely, you'd have to be on that Hunter Biden good good to think that had any chance of being reality as one shot legislation and not some piecemeal thing that happens over 100 years.

That said, the system is optimized for two parties in the same way the STARs keyboard is optimized for modern digital era controllers.

How salty is this board going to be in 4 days when Trump wins? I can't wait!
Was the only good part about him winning in 2016: seeing the smug liberal faces turn to despair.

Honestly though, this time around its the Republicans who are the smuggier pricks. It'd be more satisfying to see them flailing about this year.

Not saying I think that's what's gonna happen, just saying I'd be more entertained.

Was the only good part about him winning in 2016: seeing the smug liberal faces turn to despair.

Honestly though, this time around its the Republicans who are the smuggier pricks. It'd be more satisfying to see them flailing about this year.

Not saying I think that's what's gonna happen, just saying I'd be more entertained.
Smug repubs perhaps... but it seems like the left has far more invested into it than should be normal. Can't tell you how many times I've heard "this election is for your life" or "this election will shape American history forever" like damn relax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom