Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are costs associated with people sitting at home too. The IT costs of having all these WFH setups, zoom calls, and also the cleaning costs at facilities. I’d say it’s a wash at best.
You really want to be worked up about this huh lol. You are a lost cause my guy

You can tell the people that never had a real job before winning the faa hiring lottery early.
This is true, once I got in and seen what this is I always felt that Air Traffic Controllers are a lot more similar to lottery winners or kids who inherit huge money from their grandparents at 20 years old then nerves of steel super heroes. Of course it is true that "not everyone can do this job", and it does take some effort, sacrifice and skill. But for years when the true hiring blitz was going on in 2008-2012 they would send new hires anyplace, in a era where the overwhelming majority of hires were true off the street and CTI kids, and the vast majority of them made it. The reason why that worked is because the job while not easy is not complex enough that you can't place brand new people anywhere after the academy, and they have a good chance to make it. So the biggest barrier to CPC is getting hired. Only a small percentage of people get hired, about 75% probably succeed at their first or second facility and that is even with no previous experience.

This is true, once I got in and seen what this is I always felt that Air Traffic Controllers are a lot more similar to lottery winners or kids who inherit huge money from their grandparents at 20 years old then nerves of steel super heroes. Of course it is true that "not everyone can do this job", and it does take some effort, sacrifice and skill. But for years when the true hiring blitz was going on in 2008-2012 they would send new hires anyplace, in a era where the overwhelming majority of hires were true off the street and CTI kids, and the vast majority of them made it. The reason why that worked is because the job while not easy is not complex enough that you can't place brand new people anywhere after the academy, and they have a good chance to make it. So the biggest barrier to CPC is getting hired. Only a small percentage of people get hired, about 75% probably succeed at their first or second facility and that is even with no previous experience.
And they act better than you cus the faa picked their number 3 bids Before someone else.

I wouldn't call this job winning the lottery. I have plenty of friends in other career fields that do just as well as me if not better. One of my buddies is about to retire from the Army as an 0-4 with 22 years in. Going to be getting 55% in retirement and he's only 41 years old. I don't know a controller 41 years old that can even retire from the FAA. He is best case scenario. But many other friends of mine not in ATC do very well for themselves too. ATC is a great job. But calling it winning the lottery is laughable. 8 hour work days with lunch included is sweet though. That and the amount of vacation and sick leave we get is what empresses my friends the most about the job. That part is hard to beat.

I wouldn't call this job winning the lottery. I have plenty of friends in other career fields that do just as well as me if not better. One of my buddies is about to retire from the Army as an 0-4 with 22 years in. Going to be getting 55% in retirement and he's only 41 years old. I don't know a controller 41 years old that can even retire from the FAA. He is best case scenario. But many other friends of mine not in ATC do very well for themselves too. ATC is a great job. But calling it winning the lottery is laughable. 8 hour work days with lunch included is sweet though. That and the amount of vacation and sick leave we get is what empresses my friends the most about the job. That part is hard to beat.
Brother, I simply meant that the hiring process was very similar to a lottery, not that getting this job was anything like winning the Mega Million. I’m the guy who created the sarcastic #bestjobintheworld thing a lot of people use. I fully understand that it’s a good but not great career and anyone with skill in important areas and ambition in the private sector can often do better.

PS- If your friend was in the military for 20 years and only advanced from O-1 to O-4 he must have sucked as an officer (joking, joking, it sounds like he started enlisted then went on to become a officer later in his career which would explain capping at O-4).

Brother, I simply meant that the hiring process was very similar to a lottery, not that getting this job was anything like winning the Mega Million. I’m the guy who created the sarcastic #bestjobintheworld thing a lot of people use. I fully understand that it’s a good but not great career and anyone with skill in important areas and ambition in the private sector can often do better.

PS- If your friend was in the military for 20 years and only advanced from O-1 to O-4 he must have sucked as an officer (joking, joking, it sounds like he started enlisted then went on to become a officer later in his career which would explain capping at O-4).
lol yeah, he was enlisted 1st. His plan was to make 0-3E and retire right at 20 years. Was surprised when he got promoted to major. The downside was he had to extend (why he ended up doing a little over 22 years.) I almost went officer too. If I had stayed in I would be retiring next year. Instead I have 10+ FAA years left. When he was in Iraq while I was going to Vegas for March madness it seemed like I made the better choice. Now I'm rethinking it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom