Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
The military has a ton of benefits that don't go to your bank account as well. Not sure that's a good comparison. Plus some of military pay is tax free putting one in a lower tax bracket. Body wise my buddy is actually in pretty good shape and can max his PT test still. Much better shape than most 40+ year old controllers I've seen lol. Shift work is HORRIBLE on our bodies. You can DEFINITELY compare career fields. Especially a military officer. TSP matching is the only substantial advantage I see the FAA really having.

While the positives aren’t too far apart the negatives are almost too many to count on the Army side. Physical fitness is a choice of those controllers. Also maxing your PT test doesn’t negate all the wear and tear military service puts on your body.

The biggest complaints I’ve really consistently seen are shift work, inability to transfer, and six day work weeks. Not all controllers experience all of those either. While difficult they don’t compare to the big green weenie.

In the Army you’re basically guaranteed weeks/months/years away from home, deployments, training, overnight shifts, getting called in at 2am because of someone elses mistakes, dangerous work environments, never knowing when you’re actually going home, consistently working much more than 40 hours a week without ever receiving financial compensation, consistently moving every 3 years, and the list could go on and on and on.

The Army is a great organization but in terms of quality of life being a controller puts the Army to shame. If you don’t mind all the soul sucking negatives then I suppose you could compare them.

While the positives aren’t too far apart the negatives are almost too many to count on the Army side. Physical fitness is a choice of those controllers. Also maxing your PT test doesn’t negate all the wear and tear military service puts on your body.

The biggest complaints I’ve really consistently seen are shift work, inability to transfer, and six day work weeks. Not all controllers experience all of those either. While difficult they don’t compare to the big green weenie.

In the Army you’re basically guaranteed weeks/months/years away from home, deployments, training, overnight shifts, getting called in at 2am because of someone elses mistakes, dangerous work environments, never knowing when you’re actually going home, consistently working much more than 40 hours a week without ever receiving financial compensation, consistently moving every 3 years, and the list could go on and on and on.

The Army is a great organization but in terms of quality of life being a controller puts the Army to shame. If you don’t mind all the soul sucking negatives then I suppose you could compare them.
Well I was saying military in general. I just happened to use the Army as an example because that's the branch my friend is in. I was in the Army too so I agree with you. My dad was career Navy and I have a lot of FAA friends that were Air Force. The Army is definitely the worst out of those. So maybe someone with my friends career but in the Airforce or Coast Guard would give a FAA ATC career a run for its money?????

Well I was saying military in general. I just happened to use the Army as an example because that's the branch my friend is in. I was in the Army too so I agree with you. My dad was career Navy and I have a lot of FAA friends that were Air Force. The Army is definitely the worst out of those. So maybe someone with my friends career but in the Airforce or Coast Guard would give a FAA ATC career a run for its money?????

Ive always heard the air force has it really well. Not sure about the coast guard but I can't imagine them having it much different than the air force. They could for sure give this gig a run for it's money with the right job.

I'm a bit biased since I'm coming from my own personal experience in the army vs what the FAA provides but my experience didn't seem to differ to much between job specialties within the army in terms of quality of life. Overall though the military is a great career that has its downsides. Some of the most fun I had was in the Army though.

Ive always heard the air force has it really well. Not sure about the coast guard but I can't imagine them having it much different than the air force. They could for sure give this gig a run for it's money with the right job.

I'm a bit biased since I'm coming from my own personal experience in the army vs what the FAA provides but my experience didn't seem to differ to much between job specialties within the army in terms of quality of life. Overall though the military is a great career that has its downsides. Some of the most fun I had was in the Army though.
I definitely liked my co workers more in the Army then I do now in the FAA. It was just more like a family and people seemed more down to earth.

I definitely liked my co workers more in the Army then I do now in the FAA. It was just more like a family and people seemed more down to earth.

Couldn't agree more with you there. A great bunch of people for the most part.

Just because I want to be included, the Marine Corps is a cult and life in general sucked. Fuck I miss it.

It's like a combination of the worst days and best days of your life all wrapped up in one.

Your username reminds me of my uncle, ever live in a single wide trailer in rural Oregon south of Eugene?

tumblr_n1y66oGViE1so9972o1_400.gifv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom