Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS- If your friend was in the military for 20 years and only advanced from O-1 to O-4 he must have sucked as an officer (joking, joking, it sounds like he started enlisted then went on to become a officer later in his career which would explain capping at O-4).

Not necessarily, the military warrior chow thief called Alexander Vindman (otherwise known as the pro Ukrainian spy who tried to sell out POTUS) just retired as an 0-5, which shows anyone can hide out doing nothing productive for 20 years

LTC-alexander-vindman.jpg

What’s a real job to you?
Any job where you actually have to show up on time at the same time every day (no flex), unpaid lunch, on your feet most of the day. Having to deal with the general public is a bonus. Retail, foodservice, manufacturing, construction, blue-collar work generally. I'm not saying ATC is a walk in the park but the working conditions are 100% cake and not everyone has the life experience to realize that. Myself I've had it pretty easy but I have done a few minimum-wage outdoor summer jobs. It's good to take stock once in a while and think to yourself "I'm getting paid $40 this hour to go on a chow run."

Not that I'm saying "other people have it worse so we can't complain ever," just to head that off.

Any job where you actually have to show up on time at the same time every day (no flex), unpaid lunch, on your feet most of the day. Having to deal with the general public is a bonus. Retail, foodservice, manufacturing, construction, blue-collar work generally. I'm not saying ATC is a walk in the park but the working conditions are 100% cake and not everyone has the life experience to realize that. Myself I've had it pretty easy but I have done a few minimum-wage outdoor summer jobs. It's good to take stock once in a while and think to yourself "I'm getting paid $40 this hour to go on a chow run."

Not that I'm saying "other people have it worse so we can't complain ever," just to head that off.
I worked for United for almost 5 years before the FAA. Started with customer service and couldn’t fucking do it. Ramp was so much better.

Millions. The same amount of boxes of TP I hoarded when COVID started.

if I PM you my address can you mail me some of the kool aid you’re sipping to make you believe this all ends happily ever after? If a certain entity who claims to have a lot of power in this gets their way, there won’t be training for years. There is absolutely positively no way the government continues to pay salaries of employees to sit at home and do nothing for years. Including yours. This thing has an expiration.
We should go back to normal life. People that don’t want to go out don’t have to. But in order to make a living you probably should. So wear a mask if you feel unsafe. Then hopefully we’ll get back to 80-90% of last years traffic which is the most it ever was pretty much across the board and training will resume and it’ll only be a year delay. I know it’s a long time and sucks but I can’t imagine “do nothing for years” I think it’ll go back quicker. The key is for trainees to be ready to go when it starts. Sucks with all the uncertainty but until someone is an FPL all of it is uncertain.

• Love
Reactions: twn
I wouldn't call this job winning the lottery. I have plenty of friends in other career fields that do just as well as me if not better. One of my buddies is about to retire from the Army as an 0-4 with 22 years in. Going to be getting 55% in retirement and he's only 41 years old. I don't know a controller 41 years old that can even retire from the FAA. He is best case scenario. But many other friends of mine not in ATC do very well for themselves too. ATC is a great job. But calling it winning the lottery is laughable. 8 hour work days with lunch included is sweet though. That and the amount of vacation and sick leave we get is what empresses my friends the most about the job. That part is hard to beat.

Let’s be real now, he may only be 41 but his body probably feels like 60. ATC is so far above the military in benefits that don’t go to your bank account it’s hardly worth comparing the career fields.

Not necessarily, the military warrior chow thief called Alexander Vindman (otherwise known as the pro Ukrainian spy who tried to sell out POTUS) just retired as an 0-5, which shows anyone can hide out doing nothing productive for 20 years

It takes 16 years of time in service to even be eligible for promotion to LTC(O5). Time in service for promotion to COL(O6) is typically 22 years.

Also 3 things stand out; Purple Heart, Ranger tab, and a Combat Infantrymen Badge. So in terms of his military career, I can promise you and say with certainty it was the farthest thing from hiding out doing nothing.

The key is for trainees to be ready to go when it starts.

ignoring the rest that I mostly agree with - why should trainees be in a hurry to do anything? Start over square 1 at OKC and jam up the system sounds like the best plan at this point.

I've had butter bars write their own CARs because a stray mortar found itself within the same AO...

You can tell the people that never had a real job before winning the faa hiring lottery early.
I say that all the time. People who complain about being on position for 90 minutes before they get their 40 minute break are the worst. I’ve picked up a forklift operator job in a distribution center during this pandemic, and I have been reminded of what it’s like to work a normal job. $15/hour, 12 hour days in a hot warehouse, and maybe 3-4 15 minute breaks during a 12 hour shift is a real change from the FAA. #BestJobInTheWorld

Let’s be real now, he may only be 41 but his body probably feels like 60. ATC is so far above the military in benefits that don’t go to your bank account it’s hardly worth comparing the career fields.
The military has a ton of benefits that don't go to your bank account as well. Not sure that's a good comparison. Plus some of military pay is tax free putting one in a lower tax bracket. Body wise my buddy is actually in pretty good shape and can max his PT test still. Much better shape than most 40+ year old controllers I've seen lol. Shift work is HORRIBLE on our bodies. You can DEFINITELY compare career fields. Especially a military officer. TSP matching is the only substantial advantage I see the FAA really having.

Last edited:
Atc is 10,000 times less stressful than any other job I’ve ever had.

and youre trying to say we don’t work when we are hear bitching that we can’t work. How dumb are you

First, you’re a D side.

Second, you complained for 120 days about not working and then you got sent back and now it’s been complaining about how you shouldn’t have to be there if you can’t train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom