Split Shifts

If you are taking about mids, I think there was a directive that just came down about not doing it. (I.e., one guy works 4 hours, then the other guy works 4 hours).

I spelled recuperative wrong. Just read it in the CBA article 33. Unless something that supersedes that, you can take breaks on mids but I don't know about splitting the whole shift

A split shift by definition is working X hours of your 8 hour shift, taking a length of time off in between, then working the remainder of your 8 hour shift later in the day.
Ex. 6am-10am, off 10am-2pm, work 2pm-6pm

If you're an FLM, the ATM can assign you anything, including split shifts.
If you're a CPC, you are protected by the contract and your Basic Watch Schedule MOU.

You can, however, request a split shift for an unusual circumstance. It requires approval, but it can be allowed.
Ex. You're taking a FAM trip in one day to go tour a facility and check out the area. You're "working" on your first flight there and during your tour, say 8am-1pm, then "working" on your return flight home, say 7pm-10pm.

If you're talking about mids, the directive that just came out was mainly directed at the facilities who abused the system (first person works 4 hours, then goes home for the final 4 hours while his buddy signs him out or the reverse, Person A works the first half, Person B doesn't show up until the final 4 hours but was signed in at the start of his shift).

I'm not talking about the midshift....more of what Breakaway is saying.

My FacRep was telling me, he has no problems a a CPC being assigned a split shift by the FLMs or ATM. I said that was some garbage to help the agency some OT or making a FLM come in on an EDO. Let's just say it went downhill from there.

I'm not talking about the midshift....more of what Breakaway is saying.

My FacRep was telling me, he has no problems a a CPC being assigned a split shift by the FLMs or ATM. I said that was some garbage to help the agency some OT or making a FLM come in on an EDO. Let's just say it went downhill from there.
To put it kindly, your FacRep is an absolute disgrace to the union and should be impeached immediately.
If a split shift was assigned at my facility, it would result in no less then two grievances and in no way, shape, or form would anyone show up to work it.

1) I'm going to safely assume it violates your BWS MOU and it violates Article 34, Section 1 which states...
Section 1. A full-time employee's basic workday shall consist of eight [8] consecutive hours

2) A grievance would be filed via Article 38 Section 12 for the employee(s) who were not given OT.
Section 12. The remedy for employees determined to have been bypassed for overtime shall be straight time pay for twenty-five percent (25%) of the number of overtime hours the employee would have worked had he/she not been bypassed.

You don't have to be kind...he's a white book temp sup. POS that told me to stop hiding behind the contact l.

The .3 says you can not split shifts. You "drop dead" (can't work) 10 hours from when you first started a shift . You need at least an 8 hour break between shifts (9 hours in some cases). I don't have the paragraph in front of me but I'll look it up later today.

Back
Top Bottom