Stuck in a region you don’t want to be in

For those fo you who were sent to a region you didn’t/don’t want to be in, how do you cope? I Didn’t have any family, friends or connections to where I’m at and it’s been a long 3 years so far. I’m low on seniority so obviously I haven’t had weekend days off which has made it very difficult to meet new people and form some kind of network. Just about everyone in my fac is from the state or chose to ERR here, so they don’t understand what its like to see family just twice a year. Everyone tells me I will eventually be able to ERR but staffing hasn’t lined up at any of the panels. I feel myself getting burnt out slowly but surely which sucks because I know how great this career can be.

I’m sure there’s a lot of you in a similar situation and for many more years... so how do you guys deal?

For those fo you who were sent to a region you didn’t/don’t want to be in, how do you cope? I Didn’t have any family, friends or connections to where I’m at and it’s been a long 3 years so far. I’m low on seniority so obviously I haven’t had weekend days off which has made it very difficult to meet new people and form some kind of network. Just about everyone in my fac is from the state or chose to ERR here, so they don’t understand what its like to see family just twice a year. Everyone tells me I will eventually be able to ERR but staffing hasn’t lined up at any of the panels. I feel myself getting burnt out slowly but surely which sucks because I know how great this career can be.

I’m sure there’s a lot of you in a similar situation and for many more years... so how do you guys deal?
Meal to meal man

I'm not sure what type of hobbies you have but find something in your area that has some social aspect to it....Diving, skiing, photography, shooting, etc. Whatever your thing is just find other people to do it with. Friendships will then grow and you'll have a life you enjoy outside of work. Granted working weekends makes that harder but still worth a shot.

Coming from the military it is pretty easy for me. You make the very best of the situation you are in and that is that. 100%

Sent to a shit loc in the US or abroad, you find ways to make yourself (and family if you can take them) happy.

Given your current situation, skype dates with people you care about on certain days? - maybe yall can watch a movie, tv show, or ball game at the same time.

Try and make good buds with the people you work around or that you are able to meet outside. Tues Weds might be rough but it will happen.

3 years might feel long but it is definitely short term in the grand scheme.

GL

I feel myself getting burnt out slowly but surely which sucks because I know how great this career can be.

I think you've found out the FAA way, from the wording of your post, that this career really isnt all that great. They throw an above-average pay/benefits package at you so you'll shut your mouth and gargle those gubmint balls.

Welcome to the contingent of people that makes $150k a year and throws their youth away on Wed/Thu days off at a 24hr facility working the 4-3-1-6-mid...dont worry, you might be able to get a piece of the weekend when you're 45. By the time you realize how much you fucking hate this job and how the FAA has sucked the fun out of your love of aviation, you have 7 years in the agency and at that point you're too invested in your pension and TSP to try and change careers..."damn this job pays $150k and it's a regular 9 to 5...but shit I cant just throw away this $50k pension."

Honestly it takes a lot of energy to keep going but you make it work. No, this job isn't the best job in the world, not even close. Dont let some senior jackdick at your facility who got hired on the front side of a hiring wave who's had a piece of the weekend off at his dream facility since he was 5 years in try to tell you that you're scum and need to shut your mouth and out your time in. The FAA has literally never been this understaffed (since Reagan) with traffic that only increases every year, thereby increasing staffing requirements and burying the already overworked workforce...all while the FAA is only running 3 classes through next spring at the Academy, or whatever that instructor said on that other thread on here.

I have 6 going on 7 years in. Luckily I was able to ERR out of my first facility after 3 years and I already have my high 3, transferring to my home facility next April to make things a little better...but I'll be pretty much rock-bottom in seniority (out of 60+) and I'll be lucky to have a piece of the weekend by the time I'm 40. It takes a lot of energy to keep going with the bullshit, but you're not alone in your misery my guy.

This career looks great on paper if money isnt a factor, you end up at a decent facility with a strong local that isnt 24/7, and you have some sort of ability to get a part of the weekend off for at least a few months a year. Otherwise you end up working credit time to take Saturdays off for free occasionally to spend with your wife while the old fucks who have lazy ass wives and overextended the shit out of their lifestyle look at you like you're the fuckin scumbag for "stealing" their OT. I live in NYC, fuckin Tinder capital of the world...you know what kind of degenerate hipster dating pool you get stuck with trying to hook up with a chick on a Wednesday night in the middle of a cold ass Brooklyn winter? Lmao

I think you've found out the FAA way, from the wording of your post, that this career really isnt all that great. They throw an above-average pay/benefits package at you so you'll shut your mouth and gargle those gubmint balls.

Welcome to the contingent of people that makes $150k a year and throws their youth away on Wed/Thu days off at a 24hr facility working the 4-3-1-6-mid...dont worry, you might be able to get a piece of the weekend when you're 45. By the time you realize how much you fucking hate this job and how the FAA has sucked the fun out of your love of aviation, you have 7 years in the agency and at that point you're too invested in your pension and TSP to try and change careers..."damn this job pays $150k and it's a regular 9 to 5...but shit I cant just throw away this $50k pension."

Honestly it takes a lot of energy to keep going but you make it work. No, this job isn't the best job in the world, not even close. Dont let some senior jackdick at your facility who got hired on the front side of a hiring wave who's had a piece of the weekend off at his dream facility since he was 5 years in try to tell you that you're scum and need to shut your mouth and out your time in. The FAA has literally never been this understaffed (since Reagan) with traffic that only increases every year, thereby increasing staffing requirements and burying the already overworked workforce...all while the FAA is only running 3 classes through next spring at the Academy, or whatever that instructor said on that other thread on here.

I have 6 going on 7 years in. Luckily I was able to ERR out of my first facility after 3 years and I already have my high 3, transferring to my home facility next April to make things a little better...but I'll be pretty much rock-bottom in seniority (out of 60+) and I'll be lucky to have a piece of the weekend by the time I'm 40. It takes a lot of energy to keep going with the bullshit, but you're not alone in your misery my guy.

This career looks great on paper if money isnt a factor, you end up at a decent facility with a strong local that isnt 24/7, and you have some sort of ability to get a part of the weekend off for at least a few months a year. Otherwise you end up working credit time to take Saturdays off for free occasionally to spend with your wife while the old fucks who have lazy ass wives and overextended the shit out of their lifestyle look at you like you're the fuckin scumbag for "stealing" their OT. I live in NYC, fuckin Tinder capital of the world...you know what kind of degenerate hipster dating pool you get stuck with trying to hook up with a chick on a Wednesday night in the middle of a cold ass Brooklyn winter? Lmao
Wow your life sucks

Just live somewhere like I do where you don’t want weekends off because 40 million other people in a 50 mile radius have weekends off and you can’t get anything done without waiting 2 hours or sitting in traffic. I mean Jesus I learned to fly just so I could get away from here faster.

Find a way to transfer to where you want to be is my advice. Hardship, supe job, resign, whatever you have to do.

The days of doing your time and transferring somewhere better are gone. Never before in the faa has it been as beneficial to your career to be a bad actor than now. Nothing would make the higher ups in management and natca happier than if you rot where you are for the rest of your time in the faa and never be in training status again.

What are you talking about brother?

Attachments

• DEB45080-6581-47E6-88FD-FC1CBF4C5F2A.jpeg
    DEB45080-6581-47E6-88FD-FC1CBF4C5F2A.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 15

You only get one life. IMO if it doesn't look reasonably certain you will be able to transfer on a realistic timetable, you should find other ways to get where you want to go (bid other jobs within the agency, hardship etc.), or resign. The job is not so good that its worth tanking your life and sucking away your ambition and best years just because people pretend or have been brainwashed into "this is the best job in the world". Obviously the process for sending new hires where they go is ass backwards at best and you have often to pay an extreme toll to your quality of life in order to accept this "greatest job in the world". Some people need more from life than meeting trollops on a dating app. Like family. Like home. Its not worth it breh. Just when you think you may have a chance at going where you dream of, some thug punk Whitey Bulger will make "Dynamic decisions" and set you back another 3 years.

All the old stories where you have to sell your soul for ______ , never end well. Not all devils have horns. Some have earrings, ball caps, and fugly pin striped suits. Silver lining: you can get your soul back any day. There is no gun to your head keeping you locked into whatever hellhole they sent you. It just feels that way.

What are you talking about brother?

what metrics do u think they used to determine "Greatest profession in World" !? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom