TRACON track for new hires

I think it depends on the bid you took to N90. I was prior to the Jan 18 bid and I’m doing RTF and TSEW only. I asked about TETRA and they said it could be subject to change. The new bid, as you have seen, lays out the path pretty clear.

I think it depends on the bid you took to N90. I was prior to the Jan 18 bid and I’m doing RTF and TSEW only. I asked about TETRA and they said it could be subject to change. The new bid, as you have seen, lays out the path pretty clear.
When are you leaving?

I think thats changing. I think center people will be sent for TSEW and TETRA only.

I would doubt that they’d just send Center pukes to TSEW or TETRA without RTF. They would need some sort of abbreviated class on the equipment before TSEW, I would assume rather than learning it on the fly. Then again, there are always those cbi’s which have been sufficient thus far-

I would doubt that they’d just send Center pukes to TSEW or TETRA without RTF. They would need some sort of abbreviated class on the equipment before TSEW, I would assume rather than learning it on the fly. Then again, there are always those cbi’s which have been sufficient thus far-

Yeah every center “puke”, lol, I’ve talked to just went straight to TSEW and that’s it’s, no RTF. That was before this whole new TETRA thing got developed though.

Yeah every center “puke”, lol, I’ve talked to just went straight to TSEW and that’s it’s, no RTF. That was before this whole new TETRA thing got developed though.

No one at my facility that came from a center ever went back to OKC... including 2 in the last year. On the bright side though, if you haven’t heard a tornado siren you may now get another chance....

Last edited:
No one at my facility that came from a center ever went back to OKC... including 2 in the last year. On the bright side though, if you haven’t heard a tornado siren you may now get another chance....
3 controllers from my specialty at ZHU have transferred to 12 TRACONs this year and they all went back to OKC for TSEW at the least.

How about an OM or a training manager?

The only person I can consistently get in touch with is the FACREP and the secretary at the front desk. My show up date isn’t until October so I still got a lot of time and don’t want to pester but jeeze, I figured somebody would call me back considering the secretary knows who I am and is always shocked nobody has called me back.

The only person I can consistently get in touch with is the FACREP and the secretary at the front desk. My show up date isn’t until October so I still got a lot of time and don’t want to pester but jeeze, I figured somebody would call me back considering the secretary knows who I am and is always shocked nobody has called me back.
That's strange. I always just called the ATM directly anyway. The couple times I tried talking to an OM, I was blown off twice....once saying to call back and talk to the other OM, and then a couple days later that one saying they were busy because of an emergency from earlier in the day and would have to call me back. Never did.

They don't mind sending them to TRACONs now to learn the equipment on the fly. There's not much to learn anyway. Other than handoffs you're not doing many keyboard entries at the Academy.

The folks who transferred all showed up to the facility and went through data training before they got dates for OKC. Not sure how your facility will handle things.

Not a TRACON new hire but just curious... how often do they have TSEW classes at the academy? Also, if you are ERRing to a facility (not N90) for which you will be attending TSEW, do you attend it on the new facility's books or your current facility's books?

Not a TRACON new hire but just curious... how often do they have TSEW classes at the academy? Also, if you are ERRing to a facility (not N90) for which you will be attending TSEW, do you attend it on the new facility's books or your current facility's books?
About one per month maybe. Some months are there's two.
You'd be on your new facility's roster when you attend TSEW.

Back
Top Bottom