Transportation Industry Pay Increases

Sounds like my supe: 'you can thank your coworkers for the holdover/extra workload/shorter (or infrequent) breaks'. Trying to pit us against one another, and getting off on it while he's at it.
Took me awhile to figure out, but my coworkers can't fuck me. Worse comes to worse, you can curtail services, you can sick out for the holdover, etc. It's good you understand that the agency has put us in this position, but your anger is misplaced at your colleagues.
I'm not sure what magical place you work where people sicking out doesn't fuck you. Here we go down the shitter without a D-side when we should have one, and down the shitter with combined positions that should be open. And TMU can't magically fix all that. Anger at just a few assholes who bang out of all/most OT and think they don't have to have any kind of integrity for performing part of their job is not misplaced. If you don't like it, quit (we've had several of those too, which is a new phenomena, and rather telling for just how shitty the FAA has run things to get to this point).
A no list? What’s that? I haven’t run an OT call out list in three years because nobody is eligible 😂.
No shit. A no list Lol. We've had everyone on 6 days with no one eligible for call in for almost 2 years now.

down the shitter with combined positions that should be open. And TMU can't magically fix all that.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be easier with additional people around, but if it's "down the shitter" enough that it'll compromise safety, you sure as shit better take measures to alleviate that. And again, I'm also not saying there should be no frustration. I understand the frustration.
Really though, if we wanted, we could flip it around and say if you don't like your workload, YOU need to quit. But I'll give you the benefit that you're not the problem, just like you should give the benefit to your colleagues, who are also not the problem. The problem is strictly the FAA/government beauracracy.
As for me, I like the money too much, so I show up for 90%+ of it.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be easier with additional people around, but if it's "down the shitter" enough that it'll compromise safety, you sure as shit better take measures to alleviate that. And again, I'm also not saying there should be no frustration. I understand the frustration.
Really though, if we wanted, we could flip it around and say if you don't like your workload, YOU need to quit. But I'll give you the benefit that you're not the problem, just like you should give the benefit to your colleagues, who are also not the problem. The problem is strictly the FAA/government beauracracy.
As for me, I like the money too much, so I show up for 90%+ of it.
big talk there. lol. Yea measures are taken, but only so much can be done at any given time. Otherwise no one would ever go red.

I have no problem with showing up and doing my job, whatever the workload may be. But people who call out of the majority of their OT are assholes, at least at places where it's required to run things effectively (I'm sure there are some places where shift numbers are a bit higher than required and OT sometimes doesn't need to be there). Doesn't matter that it's the FAA's fault. No amount of righteous indignation because they think they shouldn't have to work more than 40 hrs or excuse making will change that.

big talk there. lol. Yea measures are taken, but only so much can be done at any given time. Otherwise no one would ever go red.

I have no problem with showing up and doing my job, whatever the workload may be. But people who call out of the majority of their OT are assholes, at least at places where it's required to run things effectively (I'm sure there are some places where shift numbers are a bit higher than required and OT sometimes doesn't need to be there). Doesn't matter that it's the FAA's fault. No amount of righteous indignation because they think they shouldn't have to work more than 40 hrs or excuse making will change that.
For a couple months during prime time leave season or something sure. But after three years of mandatory OT I wish everyone would bang their OTs. We are just proving the FAA right there isn’t a staffing problem due to all the OT people cover.

We need more employees, not to force us to cover their shifts indefinitely. The only way anyone sees or cares is if there is a huge accident or services are curtailed enough to get national attention like ZJX had last year I think it was.

Blaming the wrong ppl. And I’m someone who works all my OT’s.

Nobody signed up for mandatory 6 day weeks for years.

For a couple months during prime time leave season or something sure. But after three years of mandatory OT I wish everyone would bang their OTs. We are just proving the FAA right there isn’t a staffing problem due to all the OT people cover.

We need more employees, not to force us to cover their shifts indefinitely. The only way anyone sees or cares is if there is a huge accident or services are curtailed enough to get national attention like ZJX had last year I think it was.
We aren't proving them right. They know it's a problem. And if people are working somewhere with 3/10 people and staffing triggers aren't being put in place, your local union is failing to do its job.
Or they have a family and owe nothing to their shithole level 5 or the FAA
You agreed to do your job. If you're refusing to *ever* work OT, you should be fired.

Ah, the ol boomer mindset. FAA has a staffing problem because dumbasses like you hate their family. Any one that feels obligated to work OT over spending time with their kids is a piss poor parent.
I think you are the selfish one for having kids for whatever personal promotion reasons when you know they are just going to die of climate change in 10 years anyway.

Ah, the ol boomer mindset. FAA has a staffing problem because dumbasses like you hate their family. Any one that feels obligated to work OT over spending time with their kids is a piss poor parent.
Your statement doesn't even make sense. Not surprising.

Your statement doesn't even make sense. Not surprising.

You feel like others should work OT or get fired. I feel like people should not work OT because it's an FAA problem that never got fixed because boomers would show up for OT because "it's expected" (ie they were pussies and didnt say no to management).

You value work over family. I value family over work.

Broke it down for you moron.

When boomers actually worked in the FAA, they had enough staffing to almost never need OT. lol.

I never said everyone should show up for every single OT. Literally no one expects that, not even management. I've specifically said people who won't work most/any OT. And I'm not talking about places where OT is sporadic enough to not really matter if you show up for it or not.

I'll repeat "No amount of righteous indignation because they think they shouldn't have to work more than 40 hrs" will change the fact that you're an asshole. You're actively fucking over your coworkers, just own up to it. The FAA is, too, but that doesn't mean you aren't.

Even an accident wouldn't fix things any faster. But people like you will make it more likely on the ones who are actually doing their jobs. Nice work.

When boomers actually worked in the FAA, they had enough staffing to almost never need OT. lol.

I never said everyone should show up for every single OT. Literally no one expects that, not even management. I've specifically said people who won't work most/any OT. And I'm not talking about places where OT is sporadic enough to not really matter if you show up for it or not.

I'll repeat "No amount of righteous indignation because they think they shouldn't have to work more than 40 hrs" will change the fact that you're an asshole. You're actively fucking over your coworkers, just own up to it. The FAA is, too, but that doesn't mean you aren't.

Even an accident wouldn't fix things any faster. But people like you will make it more likely on the ones who are actually doing their jobs. Nice work.
Nah fuck that shit. It’s not the person than bangs every OTs fault. It’s solely on the FAA. Either hire enough to not need OT, or incentivize it enough to get people to show up to them. Make it 2 or 3x+, earn PTO for hours worked on OT, let the OT pay go towards the 5% TSP match and good time.

Only somewhat related but at facilities that are scheduling OT more than not, just let people bid 6 day workweeks. I’ve built my plans with friends and family assuming I’ll have my 7th day off and it’s worked out in my favor but at any time they could push me to the 7th day and that would flip me from a person who goes to 9/10 OTs to someone who goes to 1/10.

I hate to admit this in an open forum, but coffee’s earning back some brownie points with the boomer comments. Fuck the establishment.IMG_6317.jpeg

Nah fuck that shit. It’s not the person than bangs every OTs fault. It’s solely on the FAA. Either hire enough to not need OT, or incentivize it enough to get people to show up to them. Make it 2 or 3x+, earn PTO for hours worked on OT, let the OT pay go towards the 5% TSP match and good time.

Only somewhat related but at facilities that are scheduling OT more than not, just let people bid 6 day workweeks. I’ve built my plans with friends and family assuming I’ll have my 7th day off and it’s worked out in my favor but at any time they could push me to the 7th day and that would flip me from a person who goes to 9/10 OTs to someone who goes to 1/10.
Add in gross pay counting towards high 3 instead of base pay. I’d almost argue that would single-handedly change a lot of people’s minds.

If everyone refuses to work OT, is everyone an asshole or is nobody an asshole? There’s your solution, instead of forcing everyone to work OT, why not instead have everyone refuse OT then on your shifts just work to the best workload you can manage safely and that’s that?

Ironically, I had an old boomer controller once tell me “If someone offers you a break, never turn it down. You get paid the same whether you’re on position or in the break room.”

If everyone refuses to work OT, is everyone an asshole or is nobody an asshole? There’s your solution, instead of forcing everyone to work OT, why not instead have everyone refuse OT then on your shifts just work to the best workload you can manage safely and that’s that?

Ironically, I had an old boomer controller once tell me “If someone offers you a break, never turn it down. You get paid the same whether you’re on position or in the break room.”
This.

Working harder for the same pay never made sense if efficiency and safety are both achieved still.

This.

Working harder for the same pay never made sense if efficiency and safety are both achieved still.
We don’t get performance bonuses. If there were literally ANY incentive whatsoever to go above and beyond the standard call of duty, that’s one thing. But we have people out here bending over backwards for a machine that’s gonna run itself whether they work 40s or 60s. All the while we keep getting the shit end of the stick. But it’s a vicious cycle: y’all don’t deserve increased pay and benefits because you’re not willing to go above and beyond for the mission 🔁 I’m not going to go above and beyond for the mission because I’m not getting increased pay and benefits.

We don’t get performance bonuses. If there were literally ANY incentive whatsoever to go above and beyond the standard call of duty, that’s one thing. But we have people out here bending over backwards for a machine that’s gonna run itself whether they work 40s or 60s. All the while we keep getting the shit end of the stick. But it’s a vicious cycle: y’all don’t deserve increased pay and benefits because you’re not willing to go above and beyond for the mission 🔁 I’m not going to go above and beyond for the mission because I’m not getting increased pay and benefits.
Truth, my friend. Truth.

OR cash rewards and the like go to the members of the local good ole boy club.

Back
Top Bottom