Up/Down?

bdenny20

I'm trying to figure out how to world works before I go to OKC in a month. I was given terminal. I know vaguely of how up/down facilities work, but not that much. Is 'up/down' a category of its own when students are being assigned classes? Would someone like myself be given the opportunity to work both tower and radar?

I'm trying to figure out how to world works before I go to OKC in a month. I was given terminal. I know vaguely of how up/down facilities work, but not that much. Is 'up/down' a category of its own when students are being assigned classes? Would someone like myself be given the opportunity to work both tower and radar?
You’ll go to the academy for basics and tower class. Then, you’ll go train at your facility. Then, upon certification in the tower, you’ll go back to OKC for radar training. Then, you’ll go back to your facility and certify in the tracon. Once you’re certified, you will work both tower and radar at your assigned facility.

You’ll go to the academy for basics and tower class. Then, you’ll go train at your facility. Then, upon certification in the tower, you’ll go back to OKC for radar training. Then, you’ll go back to your facility and certify in the tracon. Once you’re certified, you will work both tower and radar at your assigned facility.

Ok, I guess it would be the other way for me if I was assigned terminal. This whole back and forth to the academy thing is under the assumption I'm even selected for an up/down. I think I get it.

I think I get it.

You don't get it.

When/if you pass the wizard of Oz land that is academy, (where up is down, and your fate is determined by how long its been since your evaluator has....eaten a snickers) your class will be given a list of "terminal" facilities. In your case "terminal" = either a stand alone tower or a Tower/RADAR combined facility (Up/Down). If you pick a tower only facility, you go there and train in the tower and certify, then you max out your PAC and pray to the NATCA war lords that you get selected to move on. If you select an "up/down" you will do the OKC back and forth as described above, however Robertb left out the part about maxing out your PAC in an attempt to be noticed.

One of my pet peeves is when people are told they should definitely get their radar ticket if they can. Ehhhhh no. Unless you really have a desire to, there's no point. Go to a level 5, certify, start playing NCEPT roulette to get to where you actually want to be. If you really try hard you can get to a TRACON from a level 5 tower if you want, and you'll waste at least an extra year and significantly increase your chances of washing out if you go to an Up/Down. I just scratch my head when I see people clamoring for a "LEVEL 7 ZOMG!!!"out of the academy. Who cares what your first facility was? No one. All that matters is how do you get to your dream (or highly desired) facility the fastest.

One of my pet peeves is when people are told they should definitely get their radar ticket if they can. Ehhhhh no. Unless you really have a desire to, there's no point. Go to a level 5, certify, start playing NCEPT roulette to get to where you actually want to be. If you really try hard you can get to a TRACON from a level 5 tower if you want, and you'll waste at least an extra year and significantly increase your chances of washing out if you go to an Up/Down. I just scratch my head when I see people clamoring for a "LEVEL 7 ZOMG!!!"out of the academy. Who cares what your first facility was? No one. All that matters is how do you get to your dream (or highly desired) facility the fastest.
This is true, I hated that “radar ticket” argument bullshit. It’s not as prevalent as it was years ago but dinosaurs at the shit hole level five up/downs would often make that argument to try to justify their existence and try to make the facility seem relevant. Luckily most of those places are being consolidated out of existence. Radar tickets from a ultra low level facility meant nothing then, and they certainly don’t mean anything now since NCEPT is just a lottery/numbers game.

I was told by quite a few ATMs that they liked to see my radar ticket, while selecting from 4-7 VFR towers lol. All through the first two years of NCEPT when I was a Cat 1.

So I applied to my 8 facility from a level 6 twr only. I was placed last on the atms list and when I asked the former facrep why he said it was because I didnt have a radar ticket. Luckily the people ranked in front of me got selected to other places first and I was forced on the facility lol. Well I certified at bare minimum hours in the tower and radar, and now I feel no obligation to stay before putting in for bigger and better places with my radar ticket. Cheers gents

This is true, I hated that “radar ticket” argument bullshit. It’s not as prevalent as it was years ago but dinosaurs at the shit hole level five up/downs would often make that argument to try to justify their existence and try to make the facility seem relevant. Luckily most of those places are being consolidated out of existence. Radar tickets from a ultra low level facility meant nothing then, and they certainly don’t mean anything now since NCEPT is just a lottery/numbers game.
That’s how you end up with tower people who have no concept of aircraft performance and just assume every jet climbs out at 250k

Radar is harder than tower; therefore a radar ticket is more valuable. You wont see that shit on StubHub 3 hours before tipoff. Tower is easy. It is harder to work at Publix than a level 5 towrr.

Up/downs level 5 and below should be outlawed. I used to have an ez bake oven when I was a kid, didnt make me Emeril. Then again it's not their fault all the small facilities got raped in the downgrade process, and all centers got a free pass. Why should the modest up/downradar ticket be diminished and made 3rd class while false honors are bestowed onto enroute tickets? And they be empowered to call the plebeians 'tower flowers'. The tulip bubble burst in 1637, and these StubHub anti-heroes will get their just desserts soon too. Mea whole all we can do is sit at our respective country clubs and watch and wait.

Radar is harder than tower; therefore a radar ticket is more valuable. You wont see that shit on StubHub 3 hours before tipoff. Tower is easy. It is harder to work at Publix than a level 5 towrr.

Up/downs level 5 and below should be outlawed. I used to have an ez bake oven when I was a kid, didnt make me Emeril. Then again it's not their fault all the small facilities got raped in the downgrade process, and all centers got a free pass. Why should the modest up/downradar ticket be diminished and made 3rd class while false honors are bestowed onto enroute tickets? And they be empowered to call the plebeians 'tower flowers'. The tulip bubble burst in 1637, and these StubHub anti-heroes will get their just desserts soon too. Mea whole all we can do is sit at our respective country clubs and watch and wait.
Working at the Publix deli was more stressful than this level seven. I miss me a PubSub

Yeah right man we all know Midland is better than Monterrey and while we all got this great radar ticket you’re stuck in Monterrey transferring to BWI and I can maybe leave here for like seven more years. Pshhh the nerve

Working at the Publix deli was more stressful than this level seven. I miss me a PubSub

I omce met a girl online who worked in the deli @ Publix. Daddy issues, etc. Turns out a nerd in the RAPCON considered her his "girlfriend". Poor guy! Drama ensued. The Publix deli is no joke.

giphy-2.gif

Back
Top Bottom