Virtual On-boarding and Online Basics

Could you explain what probation period is? I focused on just getting to Academy and (hopefully passing) so I have no idea what that is.
The first year of any government job is your probation period way easier to fire you.

Most of this discussion is moot anyway because the online basics course and onboarding is the only offering moving forward so if you want to work this job, say yes the first time they call with a start date.

Most of this discussion is moot anyway because the online basics course and onboarding is the only offering moving forward so if you want to work this job, say yes the first time they call with a start date.

How do you figure? If you don't take the virtual onboarding you're still going to go OKC. When that may be, who knows. But in the end the people that got the offer will still be going.

I would imagine the later start date is because they want to merge virtual basics attendees with in person ones and get a measure of the success differences between the two. So those who did it vietually would be joining normies after the in person basics. Not necessarily later, but later in a sense. Everything is an experiment and subject to constant change at MMAC.

Last edited:
How do you figure? If you don't take the virtual onboarding you're still going to go OKC. When that may be, who knows. But in the end the people that got the offer will still be going.
I figure because from this point in time moving forward, basics is only taught online and you will only go to the academy after that to begin enroute or initial tower training. If it were me I would accept the earliest start date they throw at me

Just my 2¢... Take the offer. I turned down an interview in late 2011, and asked if we could do it 6 months later. HR said it would be no issue and to contact them when i was back stateside. Summer 2012 came, i made the call, and they told me the entire hiring process had changed. I was finally hired in Spring 2016 after "failing" the new Bio-Q about high school sports twice. Don't ever think you're guaranteed anything. Things can and do change.

NATCA date is the day you're officially assigned to that facility. If that date is April 12th, but you don't actually walk in the door until June 7th, the NATCA date is April 12th.
The good thing about accepting though is if they did it virtually and a classmate did not, then get assigned to the same facility, the virtual student has a tie breaker.

Are people who take virtual onboarding essentially getting paid to do nothing until the tablets with Basics on them arrive?

When do you start getting paid the training wage?

Back
Top Bottom