Virtual On-boarding and Online Basics

Just onboarded on the 27th and waiting on a class date. For anyone OTS that’s been through the basics, how was it? Any recommended study material?
On boarded with you on the 27th. From an OTS bid as well. Also curious how tough basics will be for us.
I had a buddy go through it already last year and he passed basics and initial training

On boarded with you on the 27th. From an OTS bid as well. Also curious how tough basics will be for us.
I had a buddy go through it already last year and he passed basics and initial training

I am also OTS. Its not difficult as long as you pay attention and read. Being at home while your doing it requires self discipline, so dont let yourself get distracted. My instructors were good at hinting at what you may see again, so take notes on that material. Other than that, its basic, and tailored for people with no ATC background.

It's easy. Just study an extra hour or two after class and a few hours on Sat/Sun. You don't have to apply anything, really. There are no hard concepts. It's just memorizing the enormous amount of information they give you in 18 days of class. My instructors told me they had a 100% pass rate before our class, and everyone in my class passed. With that being said, don't dick around and think it's too easy; the final will wreck you if you're not prepared.

Signed FOL! Scheduled drug test refresh. I emailed my POC asking if anything else will be needed prior to on-boarding besides other misc paperwork. He said "I do not believe so" but wasn't able to give a firm answer. Has anybody been asked for anything else besides the drug test refresh after signing an FOL?

Signed FOL! Scheduled drug test refresh. I emailed my POC asking if anything else will be needed prior to on-boarding besides other misc paperwork. He said "I do not believe so" but wasn't able to give a firm answer. Has anybody been asked for anything else besides the drug test refresh after signing an FOL?
After signing the FOL, there is some EODS paperwork, but you get emails with instructions for those

Someone posted they ask for any changes to your medical?
Yea they do. There's a medical declaration paper you need to fill out and it asks if theres any changes or not. I visited the doctor back in June due to seasonal allergies. I had to mark that down and RDC ended up emailing me asking for my doctors notes from that visit

For the people in Zoom basics, How many classes are there right now? Like how many instructors and how many instructors teach a class, how are the instructors?

For the people in Zoom basics, How many classes are there right now? Like how many instructors and how many instructors teach a class, how are the instructors?
My class has two main instructors, but we've had a couple others pop in to take their place for a day or two. No clue how many classes are going at once. The instructors are all very friendly and knowledgeable. As others have mentioned, they point out/emphasize the material you will likely be tested on.

My class has two main instructors, but we've had a couple others pop in to take their place for a day or two. No clue how many classes are going at once. The instructors are all very friendly and knowledgeable. As others have mentioned, they point out/emphasize the material you will likely be tested on.
And by likely you will be tested on it

For those of you that have gone through virtual onboarding and basics, did you continue working for another job during that in between time from onboarding and actually starting basics? It’s my understanding that you’re just kind of sitting around at that time waiting for your iPad to arrive in the mail...

For those of you that have gone through virtual onboarding and basics, did you continue working for another job during that in between time from onboarding and actually starting basics? It’s my understanding that you’re just kind of sitting around at that time waiting for your iPad to arrive in the mail...
I was onboarded 7/13, and still haven't been given an online class date.

Since then, I went down to part time at my current job

They told me I couldn't work during business hours, 8-5 or something like that, so I worked nights and weekends, which my HR rep said was fine.

I was thinking of doing the same thing as well. Is the idea that we have to stay available M-F from 8-5 to wait for a potential phone call in case they were wanting to just suddenly start?

Have they given you any kind of rough idea of when you’ll start basics?

I was thinking of doing the same thing as well. Is the idea that we have to stay available M-F from 8-5 to wait for a potential phone call in case they were wanting to just suddenly start?

You know they don’t have like investigators

The idea is keep working part time until online basics start. I can't afford to make only $12.2/hour.

I've received exactly one phone call from FAA since I first applied, so I'm not too worried about being available during the day.

When I was onboarded we were told we would receive a start date within 3-4 weeks. On monday I received an email saying I would receive a date within 4-5 weeks of onboard date, so who knows

Yeah I just don’t want to be working at my other job if they were wanting me to suddenly start... I don’t think that would be the case, but you never know.

Everything I got post-onboarding was through email and at no point was an immediate start or response to anything required.

Everything I got post-onboarding was through email and at no point was an immediate start or response to anything required.

I can second this statement. Even now doing the virtual enroute training, when they switch around our classes everything is at least a 3-5 day notice.

Back
Top Bottom