What’s your post tax/deduction pay?

Yep, it's good to have options. I'd strongly recommend it for that reason. I've only worked at one FAA facility so far, and it was a very low level facility, but I strongly prefer the military over it. Military pays much more, has better shifts with more availability of leave, better benefits, and much more modern equipment. Others in the Guard who work at high level facilities are in the opposite situation. They prioritize FAA and generally do the minimum Guard time commitment with a deployment or multi-month TDY thrown in maybe every few years or not at all.

I'm greatful for the military getting me a few cto's but that's it. FAA over military any day.

I'm not being sent to Iraq, I get to be home everyday with my family, I'm not turning over rocks for shits and giggles or sweeping the sun off the sidewalk because some nco decided to flex his muscle bc he just found out his wife is being railed out by some other guy. And my 11 pay is way more than my old military pay.

To each their own I guess

I'm greatful for the military getting me a few cto's but that's it. FAA over military any day.

I'm not being sent to Iraq, I get to be home everyday with my family, I'm not turning over rocks for shits and giggles or sweeping the sun off the sidewalk because some nco decided to flex his muscle bc he just found out his wife is being railed out by some other guy. And my 11 pay is way more than my old military pay.

To each their own I guess

I tell people the best thing I ever did was enlist. The second best thing I ever did was get out. It was the coolest thing I’ve ever done that I don’t ever want to do again

I tell people the best thing I ever did was enlist. The second best thing I ever did was get out. It was the coolest thing I’ve ever done that I don’t ever want to do again
True that man. The craziest part of it all is we had tsp in the military but they didn't match shit.

Then you got FAA, make more money and they match 5 percent! That's wild!

Yep, but you two are at an 11 and 12. It's a whole other world at these low level facilities.

True that man. The craziest part of it all is we had tsp in the military but they didn't match shit.

Then you got FAA, make more money and they match 5 percent! That's wild!

Nice thing is that when you are FAA but on military orders, the FAA matches contributions made out of military basic pay.

Yep, but you two are at an 11 and 12. It's a whole other world at these low level facilities.

Is that self induced? Have you bid out? I'm on my 4th facility in 10 years. My first was aspen a level 5 then a 7 then a 11 and then I went home down to a 9.

I work 9 traffic and make 11 money. Life is good.

I was sent to a 5 by the FAA which later was downgraded to a 4. I had been bidding out since day 1 of checkout, and finally picked up at an 8. Haven't checked in yet because still on military orders.

I was sent to a 5 by the FAA which later was downgraded to a 4. I had been bidding out since day 1 of checkout, and finally picked up at an 8. Haven't checked in yet because still on military orders.

See! Keep working at it. I bet once you get get your pay right and get where you want to be you'll change your opinion

I tell people the worst thing I ever did was enlist but the best decision I ever made from it was pick Air traffic control.

Best job I ever had. Worst company I’ve ever worked for.

Last edited:
Have any of you guys used the paycheck calculator at SmartAsset.com? I've used it when looking at the facility map on this site and tried to calculate my pay at my dream facilities and am wondering how accurate it is.

I'd appreciate it if someone checked it out.

I made up a biweekly paycheck spreadsheet that should be comprehensive and fully accurate. I'm only at the academy but I managed to get it to line up within a couple cents of my LES. You'd have to look up the tables for your own state's withholding though, I only made it accurate for my state.

I can PM you the file right now and post a cleaned-up/example version here tomorrow if people are interested.

Thanks for the spreadsheet, man.

Seriously considering DoD over FAA, but after over 30 applications getting thrown back, I doubt I'll get my foot in the door anytime soon. On the referral list for a few spots, but I'm not holding my breath at all.

Thanks for the spreadsheet, man.

Seriously considering DoD over FAA, but after over 30 applications getting thrown back, I doubt I'll get my foot in the door anytime soon. On the referral list for a few spots, but I'm not holding my breath at all.
Why would you go DoD? The top you could get is a GS-13 spot, and the pay pales in comparison

Other than as a curiosity, its not relevant to compare someone from N90's pay to anyone else in the rest of the NAS. They have a different set of special rules from the other 320 facilities. N90 has been singled out for massive pay incentives that no one else is eligible for.

Back
Top Bottom