What’s your post tax/deduction pay?

This dude will always figure out a way to incorporate a bash on N90 into the conversation.

Dude here. or el Duderino if youre not into the whole brevity thing.

Nice snarky troll, but false. How is that a bash? if you're trying to compare salaries or estimate what you might make, it wouldnt help or give you a realistic idea to consider a facility that is on a different set of rules with different pay. Unless you planned to go there. but thats just like, my opinion, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a false statement, others have called you out on your strong dislike for N90. I've been around long enough to know how much you can't stand that folks at N90 get paid more than other controllers. There's nothing wrong with having strong opinions about other facilities, but its starting to sound like you either have an EX that works there or you washed out from there. Just my opinion....

Why would you go DoD? The top you could get is a GS-13 spot, and the pay pales in comparison
The DoD controllers I work with have a consistent schedule everyday, and have the same days off every single week. Normally zero conflict whatsoever with scheduling leave, and I think I'll miss consistenty controlling breakers.

There's nothing wrong with having strong opinions about other facilities

TY for permission to give my opinion :lol:

this may be obvious, but its extremely hard for those at lower level facilities to max out TSP ($19,000 for 2019). Your employee matching contributions will be lower too, because you make less. Its tempting to ask everyone "how much do you do in TSP?" and when ppl say they max it you feel like maybe you should too? But everyone needs to set a budget thats responsible and fits their life circumstances. If you have credit card debt for instance, it would be financially foolish to max out TSP, imo! You can contribute less and still end up w more anyway, if you get in G fund during volatile trade-war times like now, and back into C & S when the market bottoms out (like it did Dec 24). only 2 moves a month so its slightly risky if you dont watch lots of CNBC and have a feel for the current risk conditions.

Almost everyone I know in the FAA rotely signs up for BC/BS Basic. IF you shop around the plans in open enrollment you can often find plans that have hwat you need that are less expensive. This year I switched to one called "FEP Blue Focus" that is $20 less per PP.

You can also save by not donating to the PAC, even when peer pressured to do so. If the shutdown didnt demonstrate to you that they have no pull over Congress, nothing will.

When all else fails, set your deductions to 99 in Employee Express and live for the moment! :rofl:

TY for permission to give my opinion :lol:

this may be obvious, but its extremely hard for those at lower level facilities to max out TSP ($19,000 for 2019). Your employee matching contributions will be lower too, because you make less. Its tempting to ask everyone "how much do you do in TSP?" and when ppl say they max it you feel like maybe you should too? But everyone needs to set a budget thats responsible and fits their life circumstances. If you have credit card debt for instance, it would be financially foolish to max out TSP, imo! You can contribute less and still end up w more anyway, if you get in G fund during volatile trade-war times like now, and back into C & S when the market bottoms out (like it did Dec 24). only 2 moves a month so its slightly risky if you dont watch lots of CNBC and have a feel for the current risk conditions.

Almost everyone I know in the FAA rotely signs up for BC/BS Basic. IF you shop around the plans in open enrollment you can often find plans that have hwat you need that are less expensive. This year I switched to one called "FEP Blue Focus" that is $20 less per PP.

You can also save by not donating to the PAC, even when peer pressured to do so. If the shutdown didnt demonstrate to you that they have no pull over Congress, nothing will.

When all else fails, set your deductions to 99 in Employee Express and live for the moment! :rofl:

Dude you’re the one who asked the question. You didn’t say anything “realistically coming out of the academy” or “other than N90, what does your pay look like?”. Don’t get pissed at other people for answering your question. And yeah, people may want to know what pay at N90 looks like cause maybe they want to bid there.

And the only “special incentives” is the extra 15% CIP, which while nice, isn’t make or break kind of money and it goes away next year. We are also the only facility in the NAS scheduled 60 hour weeks every week.

The DoD controllers I work with have a consistent schedule everyday, and have the same days off every single week. Normally zero conflict whatsoever with scheduling leave, and I think I'll miss consistenty controlling breakers.
DoD is awesome for many reasons. ATC premium pay for the Army is pretty sweet which is 5% of your salary every check at my current location. It’s like working Sundays in the FAA. We have sups that will bend over backwards to accommodate leave. I also had sups in the FAA that would move things around to accommodate also. It’s all about what you want though. I feel DoD is more relaxed and less instability when it comes to funding and job security. Downfall is getting in. Most of the time there are only a spot or two open and they will be filled by the buddy system. Going to visit actually the desired facility seems to carry a good bit of weight from what I have seen though.

The biggest downfall with DoD is a lot of the locations absolutely suck. But on the flip side, you can live like a king on a DoD salary in most of these places.

Okay, here's the example spreadsheet. I chose FAI as an example facility with both COLA and CIP; I think I worked out the math right but if someone at a facility with either could check on Sheet 2: Pay that would be nice.

Notes:
  • If you do get COLA and/or CIP, it's important that you enter basic pay and locality separately (they're based on basic pay, not base pay).
  • Besides all the variables in the Variables section, edit the following in the Paycheck section:
    • Health/Dental/Vision insurance premiums.
    • FSA contribution.
    • TSP contributions, if using dollar value instead of percent.
    • FEGLI premium.
    • NATCA dues, if not a member.
  • Actual yearly gross is less than predicted yearly gross because the hourly rate is based on 2087 hours per year, which is an average taking into account leap years and such.
  • The Social Security Tax phase-out and Additional Medicare Tax phase-in are yearly values; I just used 1/26th of each value for this calculator (meaning it doesn't have memory and assumes the current paycheck is exactly the same as all the other paychecks for the year). It should be close enough, especially if you're well below or well above the lines.
  • The state tax withholding is only accurate for my state. For any other state, you'll have to find your tax code and modify the values and possibly the logic. Or for a state with no income tax, like Alaska, just enter an insane amount of state withholding allowances.
I made this in Numbers on a Mac, so the layout of the first sheet is a bit morphed in Excel. Also the formulas show the cell identifiers instead of the names, so if you're looking to edit them it might be a bit harder to figure it out.

Excel file attached, Numbers file download here via dropbox.

IllIlIllIllIllIIl HoneyBadgr (if you're looking at facilities with COLA/CIP, this version is corrected)

Attachments

• ATC_Paycheck_Calculator.xlsx
    14.6 KB · Views: 95
Okay, here's the example spreadsheet. I chose FAI as an example facility with both COLA and CIP; I think I worked out the math right but if someone at a facility with either could check on Sheet 2: Pay that would be nice.

Notes:
  • If you do get COLA and/or CIP, it's important that you enter basic pay and locality separately (they're based on basic pay, not base pay).
  • Besides all the variables in the Variables section, edit the following in the Paycheck section:
    • Health/Dental/Vision insurance premiums.
    • FSA contribution.
    • TSP contributions, if using dollar value instead of percent.
    • FEGLI premium.
    • NATCA dues, if not a member.
  • Actual yearly gross is less than predicted yearly gross because the hourly rate is based on 2087 hours per year, which is an average taking into account leap years and such.
  • The Social Security Tax phase-out and Additional Medicare Tax phase-in are yearly values; I just used 1/26th of each value for this calculator (meaning it doesn't have memory and assumes the current paycheck is exactly the same as all the other paychecks for the year). It should be close enough, especially if you're well below or well above the lines.
  • The state tax withholding is only accurate for my state. For any other state, you'll have to find your tax code and modify the values and possibly the logic. Or for a state with no income tax, like Alaska, just enter an insane amount of state withholding allowances.
I made this in Numbers on a Mac, so the layout of the first sheet is a bit morphed in Excel. Also the formulas show the cell identifiers instead of the names, so if you're looking to edit them it might be a bit harder to figure it out.

Excel file attached, Numbers file download here via dropbox.

IllIlIllIllIllIIl HoneyBadgr (if you're looking at facilities with COLA/CIP, this version is corrected)
Can I Debo this and attach it in the FAQs?

Back
Top Bottom