What’s your post tax/deduction pay?

squawkIFR

Trusted Contributor
Since most of us post somewhat anonymously. I’m curious as to what your post tax pay is.

Coming from military background, my healthcare costs are never seen and 1/3 of my pay is not taxable. So while my taxable pay in the military isn’t much and I don’t pay much if any tax on it, I’m curious to what level facility it would equal to.

Also since I’m not used to paying a monthly premium for health insurance, how much can I expect to pay in the FAA for a reasonable healthcare plan for a family. Now I know there are different plans for different people and I understand that. I’m just curious as to what YOUR post-tax/deduction paycheck is and how much you contribute to TSP and healthcare. Thanks in advance.

I'm a level 6 CPC, and my average check is right at 2k with no OT or holidays, but it does include Sunday pay and night diff pay. I also have a wife and two kids with FEP blue basic (177 a check).

I'm a level 6 CPC, and my average check is right at 2k with no OT or holidays, but it does include Sunday pay and night diff pay. I also have a wife and two kids with FEP blue basic (177 a check).
Is that after tsp contributions?

ATC 12 CPC-IT, max traditional TSP, married with a kid, CA state income tax, married with zero deductions,health insurance is 115 a pay period, dental is like 25, 25 a pay period to mil time buy back, 2500 take home roughly every two weeks

Level 11 CPC, Max TSP, Single, health/life insurance, etc... take home $2750.. no OT/Holidays/Diff pay right now since I’m CPC-IT and not on the floor yet

Level 12 CPC close to the bottom of the band max TSP, NY state income tax, married no kids 1 deduction, health insurance is about $75/pp, dental around 30 or 40, average of 54-56 hours a week, take home $5800-6600/pp depending if I hit FICA cap or not yet

As a level 5 cpc in the dc area, married claiming 0, my checks were between $1700-1800 with no OT/holidays.

Level 5 CPC. After usual deductions plus max ROTH TSP every two weeks net pay is usually a little over $1000 without any overtime/differerentials. With typical differentials or OT it’s usually around $1100-$1300.

Air Force E-7. After usual deductions plus max ROTH TSP net pay is around $2400. Military pay is twice monthly vs every two weeks with FAA though. Doesn’t include per diem and assumes pay is not in a combat zone, which one of the two are common for me on orders. Add in per diem or tax exempt combat pay and net pay can jump considerably.

Pay for both is for the same locality, so there’s no inflation between the two paychecks for one being in a higher cost of living area. Keep military and FAA options both open if you can. The way everything mixes together it’s a pretty sweet situation, and describing everything is way more than I feel like posting here. Only issue is I think some people thought I hated my facility for always trying to get on military orders, when in reality it’s mostly greed and the military pays much more in my current situation than the FAA. Not sure if that’s a better reason.

Level 12 CPC close to the bottom of the band max TSP, NY state income tax, married no kids 1 deduction, health insurance is about $75/pp, dental around 30 or 40, average of 54-56 hours a week, take home $5800-6600/pp depending if I hit FICA cap or not yet

Don’t forget your 25% CIP, lol.

Level 11 CPC at cap for my facility. No state income tax, no CIP. Many deductions, FSA ($2k year), Dependent care ($5k year), Unum, little PAC, max TSP, family BCBS and some dental.

No OT, no Sunday’s, about $4k. and I still get 9-10k back on my federal tax return, taking the standard deduction...

Last edited:
Avg 5450 last year... cpc a few years at lvl 12. Illinois tax, ROTH TSP max, single health coverage. 41 OTs and plenty of shitty Sunday shifts.

Level 5 CPC. After usual deductions plus max ROTH TSP every two weeks net pay is usually a little over $1000 without any overtime/differerentials. With typical differentials or OT it’s usually around $1100-$1300.

Air Force E-7. After usual deductions plus max ROTH TSP net pay is around $2400. Military pay is twice monthly vs every two weeks with FAA though. Doesn’t include per diem and assumes pay is not in a combat zone, which one of the two are common for me on orders. Add in per diem or tax exempt combat pay and net pay can jump considerably.

Pay for both is for the same locality, so there’s no inflation between the two paychecks for one being in a higher cost of living area. Keep military and FAA options both open if you can. The way everything mixes together it’s a pretty sweet situation, and describing everything is way more than I feel like posting here. Only issue is I think some people thought I hated my facility for always trying to get on military orders, when in reality it’s mostly greed and the military pays much more in my current situation than the FAA. Not sure if that’s a better reason.
So you’re in the guard I take it?

Level 12 N90 CPC at the salary cap working 6 days a week every week. Max TSP contributions. Married plus 2 deductions. I don't work Sundays, so no Sunday pay. Average take home pay is between 7 to 8k. Our top overtime whore that's at the salary cap and works pretty much straight 10 hour days, 6 days a week with Sunday pay clears around 9 to 10k a paycheck.

So you’re in the guard I take it?

Yep, it's good to have options. I'd strongly recommend it for that reason. I've only worked at one FAA facility so far, and it was a very low level facility, but I strongly prefer the military over it. Military pays much more, has better shifts with more availability of leave, better benefits, and much more modern equipment. Others in the Guard who work at high level facilities are in the opposite situation. They prioritize FAA and generally do the minimum Guard time commitment with a deployment or multi-month TDY thrown in maybe every few years or not at all.

Back
Top Bottom