Where to start

like how others have said join the AF for ATC and let him see WSMR and Barksdale and at the end of the 4 or 6 years let him decide what he wants to do or continue pursuing the FAA ATC.

like how others have said join the AF for ATC and let him see WSMR and Barksdale and at the end of the 4 or 6 years let him decide what he wants to do or continue pursuing the FAA ATC.
Oof, Whitesands. BIG OOF.

My first base was Ellsworth AFB, SD. At age 19, I hated that place. Looking back on it now, I think I would've had more fun exploring the Black Hills.

EDIT: *should've* had more fun

advanced atc is trash all around, thats why they lose contracts left and right.
Are you referencing the students, the business model or the entire shebang?

I don’t know anything about the school aside from what graduates have told me, but I did work for them at one of their towers for a couple years. I really have nothing bad to say about the owner Dan or how I was treated as an employee. In fact, he treated us very well compared to some other jobs I’ve had and the 3 graduates he sent us all went on to certify at multiple contract towers and faa facilities.

I don’t know anything about the school aside from what graduates have told me, but I did work for them at one of their towers for a couple years. I really have nothing bad to say about the owner Dan or how I was treated as an employee. In fact, he treated us very well compared to some other jobs I’ve had and the 3 graduates he sent us all went on to certify at multiple contract towers and faa facilities.
To drive this home, when I was a student: I studied hard, did not party, showed up 30 minutes early to run extra sims, and worked extra time in the tower to certify with an old PATCO guy who quizzed me constantly (aircraft types, approach plates, published missed approach procedures, wake turbulence, etc…). The expectation of some of the instructors was when you plug in to have that foundational knowledge, something they could work with and mold. As cliche as it sounds, you get from it exactly what you put in. If you are motivated you will go far, if you could care less you will just exist and probably wash or end up not doing ATC like some graduates.

I guess the whole thing, went in there with outside experience and saw the many flaws they had. Having several safety issues(why they lost north texas and austin exec.) swept under the rug. cant blame them, most of the people controlling at their towers had NO CLUE what atc was aside from the cto they got upon graduation. Morale was dirt poor, comes with their 14hr paycheck they were getting.

Hey all,

Brand new here and just throwing my line in the water and hoping to get some bites. I'm a jetBlue pilot, have been for the last 19 years. This request isn't for me. My 20 year old son isn't looking to go to college and while he's tossed around the idea of flying himself, I'm not sure that's in the cards for him right now either. But a buddy of mine told me to check out the ATC world. Obviously with the recent news, I know there's a shortage and also know there's a current hiring window, but I don't think there's any way he's prepared to apply right now. I'd love to set him up for success, and see if this is something he might be interested in. I asked what he thought and he sounded excited.

I'd love to get the advice from the experts in here as to how a 20 year old kid goes from 0 to ATC job offer, then ultimately succeeding in the training and real world operations. Appreciate any thoughts you all are willing to provide. Thanks in advance.

Rick
Air National Guard is, from what I understand, the best bang for your buck. 4 year contract, of which 2+ will be military training, school, and OJTI, all at full time pay, then once certified he can apply for the FAA and do his 1 weekend a month for the remainder of the contract, so about 2 more years. From what I understand, you apply directly to the base you want to work at and get a specific ATC contract as opposed to a generalized contract like other active duty branches offer. Not to mention the benefits of having served, GI bill, vet pref, and of course a front row parking spot when you shop at lowes...

I do not know if having 52 weeks experience is an issue though as I did not personally do the ANG route, so someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Air National Guard is, from what I understand, the best bang for your buck. 4 year contract, of which 2+ will be military training, school, and OJTI, all at full time pay, then once certified he can apply for the FAA and do his 1 weekend a month for the remainder of the contract, so about 2 more years. From what I understand, you apply directly to the base you want to work at and get a specific ATC contract as opposed to a generalized contract like other active duty branches offer. Not to mention the benefits of having served, GI bill, vet pref, and of course a front row parking spot when you shop at lowes...

I do not know if having 52 weeks experience is an issue though as I did not personally do the ANG route, so someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.
Buddy of mine did the ANG. 6 years. Got a $20k signing bonus from his unit. Enrolled in college after basic and tech training at Keesler. Got picked up by the FAA-off the street bid based on 52 consecutive weeks work/school before finishing college. Never will know how much the ANG helped/affected his hiring since it was an off the street bid, but it worked.

Last edited:
I did ANG. It was 6 year contracts minimum for ATC back then, but got hired 3 years into it after a deployment and some good life experience and a couple CTOs.

USN controller here... If the military route is on the board, id highly suggest your son go the air force route instead of the Navy. Better chance at getting a CTO instead of ending up on a ship.

Back
Top Bottom