ATSA Compilation

Also, the logical reasoning questions are as hard as in the test prep?

Not gonna lie the logical reasoning part was pretty hard for me. With the amount of reading you have to do and the time constraint, I felt overwhelmed. And that's with practicing on the test prep as well

Anyone with input on the “Differences” section? Is it timed or do the sets contain specific amounts of numbers and then you proceed at your own speed? I could get going pretty fast but, obviously, at some point you hit a wall with that and I’m not sure if answering faster is beneficial for scoring.
However, if there are infinite numbers with a time constraint then answering more (correctly) makes any errors less significant.

I felt as though it was more on the side of it was timed and they are trying to see how many you can get through. I could be wrong, but after getting a feel of when the time ended, I think this was more the case. I started going fast and like you said hit a wall so it resets you.

Just thought I'd add my two cents here and not just in my bid group:

I'm back and cozied up in SLC. I think I did all right...we'll see. The big takeaways I had:

-I used ATCPrep. I do think it was worth the $30, but echoing what some had said, don't use it so much you expect it to be the exactly the same. On the Visual Relationships section, I thought it was optional to use "Enter/+" keys for YES and NO. Being somewhat of a gamer and using computers quite a bit in my professional life, I was used to using the mouse and clicking Yes or No. I got pretty quick at hovering in the space between the YES or NO boxes and using my reflexes to swing up or down for my responses...YOU CAN'T USE THE MOUSE ON THIS SECTION. Woops. So don't be a moron like me and get comfy using the mouse. I did do the sample run multiple times to try and get used to the "Enter/+" keys. I wish I could get another stab at this section because I was scoring 97% on ATCPrep but definitely missed more on the actual test.

- Might sound silly, but practice the test wearing your mask. I put in my ear plugs, had my mask on, and would get into "serious" mode....and literally forgot to breathe during the Differences section. Like I would just hold my breath, as if I was playing a video game during some intense moment. Then when the section would end, I'd realize how out of breath I was and breathe deeply lol. Not sure if I just blew it, but on all rounds it ended in the middle of a problem. So either I was slow AF and didn't finish, or there are unlimited problems and they're seeing how many you can do.

- Radar game. ATCPrep does a decent job, but the real thing is much more chaotic. I think I had 3 collisions. 2 of which happened on the same round. Woops. ALSO, when the arithmetic questions are going, I got used to looking at the last digits of the problems and using that as a shortcut...that didn't pan out as well on the test. There are questions that have decimals as answers and that threw me a bit. Again, like others have said, I just prioritized separating the dots first and did the math questions when I could. Had plenty go unanswered.

-Value/Relations. Saw quite a few people asking for tips on this...I would simply read it aloud (quietly) to myself, and visually put the "A" to left of the screen, "B" on the top of the screen, and "C" to the right of the screen. So as the values showed, I would point to the side and repeat the value, cycling through. As the questions showed, I think it helped my brain to point to "where" it was and recall. Idk if it'll help you.

IE:
A = 3
B = Ax2
C = A + 1

My process was to visually "move" A to the left of the screen and repeat its value. When B pops up, I would say aloud "A2", do the math, and then CYCLE the values thus far. So I'd point to the left, say "3", point up, say "6", and REPEAT until C shows up, to which I then start from "3" to "6" to "4", all while pointing. When the tests asks for the answers, often not alphabetically, I would point to "where they were", and forget it the moment I input the answer. If it's a division value, I say to myself "over" instead of "divided by". Faster...idk if it helped. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Reading Comp/Logic Word problems: Not as hard as LSAT questions but I did think it helped to prime my mind for it. I was worried about time, since you don't have a lot of it, and "quick answered" through the middle section, thinking it'd be better to rush the middle questions and have time to go through the last questions, as opposed to realizing you don't have enough time and purely guess the last third of questions. Seemed to work, I did feel confident about my answers. My tip would be to read the question first before reading the passage. So you know what to look for while you're skimming through it.

Welp hope this helps! Good luck to all.

Just took my ATSA.

Pointers- ATCPREP- WORTH IT. The end.
*If you do get it, change the setting to Very fast on everything!!(Differential, Variables, Visual relationships, Collisions) DONT DARE PRACTICE ON A LOWER DIFFICULTY. DONT OVER practice, meaning dont get to used to the ATCPREP. BUT still practice.

Advice- TRY to get enough rest.
- Eat something that will not make you drowsy.
- Get caffeine
- STAY HYDRATED

Actual Test- Breathe, try relaxing. STAY FOCUSED.

Take advantage of the practice test before taking the actual test. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Use your 30 min break wisely. Break it up in sections if you have to.

Good luck to the remaining that still have to take the test!!

Thanks! also, im currently watching videos on youtube and practicing LSAT questions, my logical reasoning skills i dont think are up to par right now....how much of the test is that last part? big chunk?

What videos are you watching? I tried looking for some but didnt really find anything.. has LSAT helped at all?

Won’t let me edit my post. Referred BQ, here’s my post about the ATSA:

Felt better walking in than I did walking out. My comparison of ATCPrep and the ATSA:

Differences: Easier but also harder on the ATSA only because I was so used to ATCPrep breaking up the numbers with a prompt. Slipped up on the last round for a few numbers, it felt like the test was never ending. 1-9 only/V.Fast, never answered over 4. If that plastic guide they put on the keyboard bothers you like it did me, put it to the side (not under the monitor so you don't accidentally power off the monitor and freak out like I did). Scored 100% on ATCPrep, probably got 95% on the ATSA. Without the pacing from ATCPrep, I was going faster than my brain could keep up. If you're using 1-20 on ATCPrep for this and equations, you're only hurting yourself.

Equations: Similar but easier on the ATSA. 1-9/Fast until you get to the 2 equation stage where it drops to 1-4 only. Went from scoring 97.5% ATCPrep to missing one or two on the ATSA for no good reason.

Visual: Felt more confident on ATCPrep than I should have. V.Fast/random close to real thing, maybe a bit faster on ATSA. Went from 100% ATCPrep to maybe 80-90% on ATSA. That eyeball they use on the ATSA is too inconspicuous. Mix it up with ATCPro for sure.

Collisions:
  • At settings of V.high/V.fast/difficult/fast it felt close to the real thing. The ATSA gradually increases the difficulty, going from two slow dots to all nine coming out at the same time immediately crashing. The last few tasks were more difficult than what ATCPrep offers. Completely ignore the math once you get more than 5 dots on the screen. On the preps I was scoring 85% totals (math included) towards the end, broken down: 100% conflict, 45% response, 100% conflict-free, 90% efficiency. I had about 5 collisions on the ATSA and my efficiency went to shit, 50% maybe. ATCPro would probably be more helpful if you can use a keyboard.
  • The math is absolutely more difficult, I went from 80% on ATCPrep to what felt like 10-20% confidently answered equations. The equations flash for two seconds and then disappear, allowing you to answer until the next question pops up. I believe I answered right as the next question showed way too many times.

My advice? Don't overdo it with ATCPrep. One of each scenario a day MAX, probably skip every other day. Once you start seeing the patterns take a break and try to forget them.

For logic and reading comp, don't bother with LSAT. The examples I found online were much more intense than the ATSA. I don't think cram sessions would help at all.

As for the personality quiz, be as honest as you can be. I felt like I was forced into lying to myself by the end of it even though I answered 100% honestly and accurately throughout. Had to keep telling myself it's just a ranking of the statements, not true/false statements.

Overall, I feel pretty good about it, mostly because of comments I've read about doing poorly and still getting BQ. I will update once we hear back.

Guess I get to be the one to revive this thread this year. I got my invite to take the ATSA today (along with a lot of others I'd imagine.) Scrolled through the responses here, very helpful. I Got ATCPrep and set it up with zedex 's settings to practice. Going to take the advice of not overdoing it so I'm limiting myself to 1 session of each section a day.

Is the math section of ATCPrep worthless? Should I even bother studying the math section? If I should, and I shouldn't bother with ATCPrep, where should I go to practice?

Anyway, I'm super stoked and have been checking daily for the ATSA email since the announcement. Good luck to all! :D

So just wondering how much the math matters on the Collisions section. Is it better to answer wrong or to not answer at all when it comes to the math? I'm doing great at everything using ATCPrep on everything except the math part of collisions. I'm scoring an abysmal 30-35% on the math questions and I know the real thing's even harder. Trying my best to bring my "A" game since I'm pool 2.

So just wondering how much the math matters on the Collisions section. Is it better to answer wrong or to not answer at all when it comes to the math? I'm doing great at everything using ATCPrep on everything except the math part of collisions. I'm scoring an abysmal 30-35% on the math questions and I know the real thing's even harder. Trying my best to bring my "A" game since I'm pool 2.

Damn bro see if they'll let you bring an abacus

You won't be able to solve the math questions on the real test, period. They flash on the screen for around 3 seconds or so, and if you do not answer in that time, it goes away. When I went through, it was similar to something like '2193/182=?' So good luck actually trying to pick the right answer. You will feel like shit no matter what coming out of that test, but I ended up in Best Qualified, so bombing the shit out of it still passes. I'm convinced they are just testing for your ability to make a decision quickly.

You won't be able to solve the math questions on the real test, period. They flash on the screen for around 3 seconds or so, and if you do not answer in that time, it goes away. When I went through, it was similar to something like '2193/182=?' So good luck actually trying to pick the right answer. You will feel like shit no matter what coming out of that test, but I ended up in Best Qualified, so bombing the shit out of it still passes. I'm convinced they are just testing for your ability to make a decision quickly.
So sounds like my strategy of just picking one at random while I do the collisions section might be worth trying out lol. I mean 25% chance of picking the right answer is probably better than not answering I assume.

It took me until yesterday to realize that I need to press 0 if there's no conflicts.. Oops. Do you have the option to press 0 when you do the math + collisions section or is that exclusively on the part with just collisions?

I just started the ATC Prep. For the collision scenario, I'm only practicing on the hardest difficulty. What would be a good score? Just got a 72.4% and feel like I absolutely bombed it...

The math problems are also pretty difficult. The addition and subtraction is pretty easy - for example, 378 - 155, just look for the answer that ends in a "3". But the division and multiplication I have no idea what the mental hacks are for that.

1634516343971.png

This is what my result looked like. A few of the collisions I missed I fat fingered on the numkeys. Definitely need to figure out where the resting position of my fingers should be because sometimes it's really hard to tell when a collision is going to occur until it's just about to happen.

I just started the ATC Prep. For the collision scenario, I'm only practicing on the hardest difficulty. What would be a good score? Just got a 72.4% and feel like I absolutely bombed it...

The math problems are also pretty difficult. The addition and subtraction is pretty easy - for example, 378 - 155, just look for the answer that ends in a "3". But the division and multiplication I have no idea what the mental hacks are for that.

View attachment 6913

This is what my result looked like. A few of the collisions I missed I fat fingered on the numkeys. Definitely need to figure out where the resting position of my fingers should be because sometimes it's really hard to tell when a collision is going to occur until it's just about to happen.
1634530273030.png

This is the section that I've done the worst on so far on ATCPrep. I still think I have a decent score though, have you experienced some aircraft colliding and even if you click the number it doesn't disappear?

Here are the rest of my results, any idea of how these scores are?
1634530353435.png

Hey everyone. Just took my ATSA several days ago and figure I'd throw some info out for everyone. The ATSA is now being administered my Pearson and it's a slightly different flavor to what the test was before. The content was the same it seems but the controls on the keyboard are different. There's no more plastic keyboard overlay either. For example instead of using the F keys to answer math questions you use A S D F.

Instead of using + and Enter on the spotting you use T and F (true or false)

The main complaint I had with them is at no point did they tell me about breaks whatsoever. It gave me time in between each test to do a breather but that was it, I took it basically all in one go, it's also on the same program so the test administrator does not intervene at all until you're done.

From what I've heard if you need to use the restroom you can raise your hand in between tests and they'll let you but they don't tell you that so just know that.

As for how I did? I think I did okayish but I genuinely have no clue. I know people said they feel they flunked it before and still got BQ so I guess it's all a waiting game. I'd say that ATCPrep was worth it but we'll see if the result reflects that.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Just took my ATSA several days ago and figure I'd throw some info out for everyone. The ATSA is now being administered my Pearson and it's a slightly different flavor to what the test was before. The content was the same it seems but the controls on the keyboard are different. There's no more plastic keyboard overlay either. For example instead of using the F keys to answer math questions you use A S D F.

Instead of using + and Enter on the spotting you use Y and N (yes and no)

The main complaint I had with them is at no point did they tell me about breaks whatsoever. It gave me time in between each test to do a breather but that was it, I took it basically all in one go, it's also on the same program so the test administrator does not intervene at all until you're done.

From what I've heard if you need to use the restroom you can raise your hand in between tests and they'll let you but they don't tell you that so just know that.

As for how I did? I think I did okayish but I genuinely have no clue. I know people said they feel they flunked it before and still got BQ so I guess it's all a waiting game. I'd say that ATCPrep was worth it but we'll see if the result reflects that.

Thanks for this; this is very helpful!

It's a bummer they changed the +/- keys to Y/N keys.

I've been practicing the visual/spatial relationship game with the +/- keys, so having to relearn a different key pattern/muscle memory this close to the test f*cks up our preparation.

And the thing is the Y/N keys aren't even next to each other. :rolleyes:

Btw, how many minutes long would you say the visual/spatial relationship game ran for? This is one section of the test I'm most concerned about since I've heard multiple people say they felt it was a tick faster on the ATSA than on Job and ATCPrep.

Thanks for this; this is very helpful!

It's a bummer they changed the +/- keys to Y/N keys.

I've been practicing the visual/spatial relationship game with the +/- keys, so having to relearn a different key pattern/muscle memory this close to the test f*cks up our preparation.

And the thing is the Y/N keys aren't even next to each other. :rolleyes:

Btw, how many minutes long would you say the visual/spatial relationship game ran for? This is one section of the test I'm most concerned about since I've heard multiple people say they felt it was a tick faster on the ATSA than on Job and ATCPrep.
The Y/N thing really isn't *too* bad because Y is still on top of N on the keyboard so just practice with a dedicated yes and dedicated no finger. I personally felt the speed was about the same as ATCPrep on the fastest speed. In terms of length it felt maybe slightly longer but the test is seperated into 2 parts. I'd say each part was about as long as the whole ATCPrep test. (so twice is long with a break in between). Results may vary because I don't think my perspective of time was what it usually is.

Speaking of time though the numbers matching felt like it lasted ages.

The Y/N thing really isn't *too* bad because Y is still on top of N on the keyboard so just practice with a dedicated yes and dedicated no finger. I personally felt the speed was about the same as ATCPrep on the fastest speed. In terms of length it felt maybe slightly longer but the test is seperated into 2 parts. I'd say each part was about as long as the whole ATCPrep test. (so twice is long with a break in between). Results may vary because I don't think my perspective of time was what it usually is.

Speaking of time though the numbers matching felt like it lasted ages.
Good to know about the length; I've been getting a little tripped up on that section, so I need to focus on it more.

Was it the Y/N keys or T/F keys they made you use?

I've been using Job, so I'll have to email them to see if they can change the keys on their practice test.

Good to know about the length; I've been getting a little tripped up on that section, so I need to focus on it more.

Was it the Y/N keys or T/F keys they made you use?

I've been using Job, so I'll have to email them to see if they can change the keys on their practice test.
I think it was T and F and edited my post to reflect that.

Instead of using + and Enter on the spotting you use T and F (true or false)

Did you turn off the show feedback button on the custom settings when practicing? There's not immediate feedback on the ATSA right?

Did you turn off the show feedback button on the custom settings when practicing? There's not immediate feedback on the ATSA right?
Pretty sure the only immediate feedback on the test was for the simulation part. The ones that collided turned red.

Back
Top Bottom