Backpay for essential employees

The bill awaiting trumps signature (I believe) provides back pay to non excepted and excepted alike. The difference is the excepted will “entitled to use leave”. So we will most likely have a choice of unpaid furlough or using our leave balances. And they specify that this new change covers any lapse in appropriations beginning on or after December 22nd.

“Each employee of the United States Government or of a District of Columbia public employer furloughed as a result of a covered lapse in appropriations shall be paid for the period of the lapse in appropriations, and each excepted employee who is required to perform work during a covered lapse in appropriations shall be paid for such work, at the employee’s standard rate of pay, at the earliest date possible after the lapse in appropriations ends, regardless of scheduled pay dates.
‘‘(3) During a covered lapse in appropriations, each excepted employee who is required to perform work shall be entitled to use leave under chapter 63 of title 5, etc.”

Entitled to use leave means to me they can't make you come in if your are sick or on vacation. I doubt they will actually charge anyone leave.

The bill awaiting trumps signature (I believe) provides back pay to non excepted and excepted alike. The difference is the excepted will “entitled to use leave”. So we will most likely have a choice of unpaid furlough or using our leave balances. And they specify that this new change covers any lapse in appropriations beginning on or after December 22nd.

“Each employee of the United States Government or of a District of Columbia public employer furloughed as a result of a covered lapse in appropriations shall be paid for the period of the lapse in appropriations, and each excepted employee who is required to perform work during a covered lapse in appropriations shall be paid for such work, at the employee’s standard rate of pay, at the earliest date possible after the lapse in appropriations ends, regardless of scheduled pay dates.
‘‘(3) During a covered lapse in appropriations, each excepted employee who is required to perform work shall be entitled to use leave under chapter 63 of title 5, etc.”
Entitled to use leave means to me they can't make you come in if your are sick or on vacation. I doubt they will actually charge anyone leave.

The only way to know forsure would be to go back and see what language was used before in past backpay bills. If it's the same language I'd say we are good to go.

I started to look and then gave up....

The only way to know forsure would be to go back and see what language was used before in past backpay bills. If it's the same language I'd say we are good to go.

I started to look and then gave up....
I can guarantee even if it reads the same it’s going to be different. Much different president and congress than before. You don’t know what to expect..

I can guarantee even if it reads the same it’s going to be different. Much different president and congress than before. You don’t know what to expect..
I would disagree, sure different president & different congress but wording is wording. I would find it hard to believe that the same language for all past shutdowns would mean backpay then but this time it means excepted employees will be charged LV accordingly.

Additionally I would hope that natca national would see it as a step to divide BUE's and would fight any interpretation that would charge some employees leave.

I copied this from the Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014....the wording is completely different.

Sec. 115. <<NOTE: Furloughs. Compensation.>> (a) Employees
furloughed as a result of any lapse in appropriations which begins on or
about October 1, 2013, shall be compensated at their standard rate of
compensation, for the period of such lapse in appropriations, as soon as
practicable after such lapse in appropriations ends.

(b) For purposes of this section, ``employee'' means:
(1) a federal employee;
(2) an employee of the District of Columbia Courts;
(3) an employee of the Public Defender Service for the
District of Columbia; or
(4) a District of Columbia Government employee.

(c) All obligations incurred in anticipation of the appropriations
made and authority granted by this joint resolution for the purposes of
maintaining the essential level of activity to protect life and property
and bringing about orderly termination of Government functions, and for
purposes as otherwise authorized by law, are hereby ratified and
approved if otherwise in accord with the provisions of this joint
resolution.

Man.... essential employees charged leave-non essentials Christmas through March off with no charged leave, but getting paid...that would be kinda sad. What if people went negative with furlough days, what if it was NyQuil with no other duties available? What if she's born with it? What if it's Maybelline?

I understand the frustrations from both exempted and non exempted. Exempted means you SHOULD have had some opportunity to establish some form of saving considering we are compensated well. Now if you are newly certified, that sucks. Non exempted is alot of brand new hires and people who haven't had a chance to establish any saving so they feel equally fucked while those who have been CPCd for years are getting by.

I typed all this to say both us non-exempted and exempted are in a shit situation. Still not as bad as tsa though

I understand the frustrations from both exempted and non exempted. Exempted means you SHOULD have had some opportunity to establish some form of saving considering we are compensated well. Now if you are newly certified, that sucks. Non exempted is alot of brand new hires and people who haven't had a chance to establish any saving so they feel equally fucked while those who have been CPCd for years are getting by.

I typed all this to say both us non-exempted and exempted are in a shit situation. Still not as bad as tsa though
AG is pretty much TSA

Man it's a hard life being a CPC too...just saying...like every day I tell my old trainer he can go screw himself, it's harder than you think it is to remember to do that.

On a real note though, AG pay was and is horrible. Especially in long time training facs or where you jump straight to D3 after full certification at a tower in a year but wait another year for RTF seats.

On a real note though, AG pay was and is horrible. Especially in long time training facs or where you jump straight to D3 after full certification at a tower in a year but wait another year for RTF seats.

OTS kids at n90 will be on AG pay for probably over 2 years. On Long Island. Ffffffuuuuuucccckkkkk tttthhhhaaaatttty

OTS kids at n90 will be on AG pay for probably over 2 years. On Long Island. Ffffffuuuuuucccckkkkk tttthhhhaaaatttty

Not to take this too far off-topic, but if I'm doing my math right, $39,115 + 32.13% locality + 10% initial CIP means that an AG at N90 is making $56,851 when they first walk in the door. I know it's not luxurious living, but that's plenty to have a decently-located apartment with a roommate, isn't it? Currently I live in Manhattan making around twice that, but I worked here for two years before I broke 55k, and I had no issues living in a 2-bedroom with a roommate in upper Manhattan or Queens. Plenty of people live in the NY area making less than that, and most of them don't have anywhere near the benefits we do. Am I missing something?

Not to take this too far off-topic, but if I'm doing my math right, $39,115 + 32.13% locality + 10% initial CIP means that an AG at N90 is making $56,851 when they first walk in the door. I know it's not luxurious living, but that's plenty to have a decently-located apartment with a roommate, isn't it? Currently I live in Manhattan making around twice that, but I worked here for two years before I broke 55k, and I had no issues living in a 2-bedroom with a roommate in upper Manhattan or Queens. Plenty of people live in the NY area making less than that, and most of them don't have anywhere near the benefits we do. Am I missing something?
The fact that if your getting by on that amount you probably can’t afford to miss 1 and now most likely 2 or more paychecks. And every day the government is shut is another day to wait for your first raise.

All I know is I felt broke as shit at D1 with a room mate. I never had AG pay thank god.

And @MJ your N90 paychart is off. Only CPC are getting the 25% CIP. I don’t remember how it breaks down but AG gets 10% and then it goes up with each D level. But it goes away soon anyway so no current new trainee will probably ever see it.

Back
Top Bottom