Backpay for essential employees

Is the new OPM guidance saying we will be backpaid Sunday differential and night differential if we work a Sunday night but take leave that gets converted to furlough?

Is the new OPM guidance saying we will be backpaid Sunday differential and night differential if we work a Sunday night but take leave that gets converted to furlough?
Your differentials are provided via the contract not the backpay bill. You'll continue to earn differentials as you would if the government was not shutdown. And no, you will not be paid a 25 percent diff if you take furlough on Sunday.

Last edited:
why would natca elect to reiderat them in the CBA?
I don't know the correct answer to that. I will say that a majority of the contract is just reiterating what is already defined in USC. Schedules, leave, etc is all covered by law. Could be convenience of just having everything applicable in one place and clearly defined. I'm assuming if an agency and union agreed to something more than the USC defines (IE they agree to pay 50% Sunday diff instead of 25%) they could, but I don't think they could negotiate less, but I don't know for certain. If they can, that would be a reason, I suppose. Some things are up to an agency's discretion whether or not to implement (compressed schedules come to mind), but if they are implemented, they have to follow the guidelines. So that would be another reason.

Back
Top Bottom