Backpay for essential employees

All I know is I felt broke as shit at D1 with a room mate. I never had AG pay thank god.

And @MJ your N90 paychart is off. Only CPC are getting the 25% CIP. I don’t remember how it breaks down but AG gets 10% and then it goes up with each D level. But it goes away soon anyway so no current new trainee will probably ever see it.

Yeah, I was gonna point that out. Looks like it's 10% at AG, 14% at D1, 18% at D2, 22% at D3, and 25% at CPC.

And if I'm reading the MOU correctly, anyone who gets to N90 before September of this year will get the enhanced CIP for 4 full years from their report date. But strangely, if you already worked at N90 in August 2017, then the CIP expires 4 years after the first transfer, which I imagine was August or September of that year, so you'd only get it through fall of 2021, while an AG who shows up this August will get it all the way until fall of 2023. That seems pretty strange actually.

The fact that if your getting by on that amount you probably can’t afford to miss 1 and now most likely 2 or more paychecks. And every day the government is shut is another day to wait for your first raise.

Definitely agree. I personally think 55k is enough to survive in NYC if you're reasonably frugal and okay with having a roommate, but any missed paychecks or medical emergencies and you're SOL.

You can SURVIVE on 55k, but that’s pretty much all you’ll be doing. It’s one thing if you’re going to be at that 55k for a year, but 2+? Hell nah. I don’t want to survive, I want to live! I mean they’re saying the people who got here just before the shutdown don’t even have a FD/CD class until late this year. That’s almost a year without even training in FD, let alone waiting for an area class/lab. We are going to start hitting 4+ year check out times just because of waiting for class dates. The FAA really fucked us and the trainees with how many they’re sending here in such a short period of time

You can SURVIVE on 55k, but that’s pretty much all you’ll be doing. It’s one thing if you’re going to be at that 55k for a year, but 2+? Hell nah. I don’t want to survive, I want to live! I mean they’re saying the people who got here just before the shutdown don’t even have a FD/CD class until late this year. That’s almost a year without even training in FD, let alone waiting for an area class/lab. We are going to start hitting 4+ year check out times just because of waiting for class dates. The FAA really fucked us and the trainees with how many they’re sending here in such a short period of time
Year+ wait for class is happening a lot in bigger facilities unfortunately. Sucks for everyone

Last edited:
Excepted employees have 2 options to take approved leave during shutdown, OPM says

Basically this

"Excepted employees can take leave during a government shutdown, as OPM reiterated. If excepted employees want to take leave, they should use the same procedures to request time off and earn approval from their supervisors as they would if their agencies weren’t experiencing a lapse in appropriations. If employees choose this option to take time off, their agencies will charge their personal leave banks as they normally would during any other circumstances.
But excepted employees also have another option, OPM said. They can work with their supervisors to be placed in “default furlough status” for any approved absence during the government shutdown. If excepted employees take this route, their agencies will not charge their personal leave banks, according to OPM.
“We expect employees generally to choose to allow the default furlough status to be applied to any approved absence, since [the new provision in the Government Employee Fair Treatment Act] provides retroactive pay for furlough periods without charge to leave,” Weichert wrote."

They'll track sick leave like crazy. Do it within the CBA and I don't see how they have a choice not to follow this.

Excepted employees have 2 options to take approved leave during shutdown, OPM says

Basically this

"Excepted employees can take leave during a government shutdown, as OPM reiterated. If excepted employees want to take leave, they should use the same procedures to request time off and earn approval from their supervisors as they would if their agencies weren’t experiencing a lapse in appropriations. If employees choose this option to take time off, their agencies will charge their personal leave banks as they normally would during any other circumstances.
But excepted employees also have another option, OPM said. They can work with their supervisors to be placed in “default furlough status” for any approved absence during the government shutdown. If excepted employees take this route, their agencies will not charge their personal leave banks, according to OPM.
“We expect employees generally to choose to allow the default furlough status to be applied to any approved absence, since [the new provision in the Government Employee Fair Treatment Act] provides retroactive pay for furlough periods without charge to leave,” Weichert wrote."
mother of god...

Talks of "free leave" abound tonight. Could change the state of play.

I don't think it will be a situation where some excepted ppl get charged and some don't like that article implies. Technically all leave right now is furlough, and if thats paid then you will not be charged for it. It has already been signed into law that that WILL be paid.
The way I read it, is that it has to be approved. Oddly enough it doesnt mention anything about sick leave

All I know is I felt broke as shit at D1 with a room mate. I never had AG pay thank god.

And @MJ your N90 paychart is off. Only CPC are getting the 25% CIP. I don’t remember how it breaks down but AG gets 10% and then it goes up with each D level. But it goes away soon anyway so no current new trainee will probably ever see it.
Damn so N90 was your 1st FAA facility and you checked out. Bad ass!!!! I know D1 pay there had to suck though

That wording sounds like we have the option of using our leave or leaving it as furlough and it being covered. We all know the choice everyone is gonna make lol

Damn so N90 was your 1st FAA facility and you checked out. Bad ass!!!! I know D1 pay there had to suck though

D1 combined with the GI Bill wasn’t so bad. And I got lucky and started a class a couple weeks after I got there. I didn’t even start FD before I was in class.

D1 combined with the GI Bill wasn’t so bad. And I got lucky and started a class a couple weeks after I got there. I didn’t even start FD before I was in class.
I know it's off topic but that's a very difficult check out, doing it as your 1st FAA facility is far from easy. Much respect

I can hear PushingTin getting triggered

Lol not ever trigged by N90. just not skurred to tell it how it is. If you are a "good soldier", a good controller, and willing to "play ball" w the N90 way.... you will check out and reap all the benefits and make your 200, 300, or 400k a year depending on how senior you are and how many weeks a year you want to work 60 hours. N90 is obviously extremely busy and complex airspace and I have lots of respect for everyone who works there. What i am highly critical of (i am not alone trust me) is my union negotiating N90 only* $$$ deals with the other 315 facilities dues. Even so, there is a fair argument to be made that N90 is the driver for all the other 315 and a rising tide raises all ships. It is also fair to say that N90 really were champions during the White Book and many of their members suffered horribly for fighting hard for our working conditions. Even though they were eventually re-instated or made whole...the damage was done and I consider them NATCA martyrs that we all owe a debt to. All that to say: Their staffing number is a joke, the 25% CIP is a scam and a half, and their arrogant attitude toward everyone else is tough to handle (especially to my friends from C90, A80, Socal, ZNY, et al). haha ok myabe a lil bit triggered. xoxo N90

to get back on thread topic..... the clarification of ostensibly "Free Leave" IS a game changer and we are in for an interesting week ahead if this shutdown doesn't end soon. That said I sense a slow motion cave happening by the White House. stay tuned...

What i am highly critical of (i am not alone trust me) is my union negotiating N90 only* $$$ deals with the other 315 facilities dues.

I don’t know why you’re angered that the most short staffed facility in the NAS gets the most Controller Incentive Pay to act as an incentive to get more controllers to go there. You can have the money too. You just need to come here and earn it.

And as for the other stuff, a trainee got drunk at a Christmas party and literally knocked out his trainer and is now a cpc. So long as you can do it you make it. Enough with your rumor mill bullshit.

I don’t know why you’re angered that the most short staffed facility in the NAS gets the most Controller Incentive Pay to act as an incentive to get more controllers to go there. You can have the money too. You just need to come here and earn it.

And as for the other stuff, a trainee got drunk at a Christmas party and literally knocked out his trainer and is now a cpc. So long as you can do it you make it. Enough with your rumor mill bullshit.
But are they friends now? The new cpc and his old ojti?

Back
Top Bottom