Best job in the world?

For the most part I would agree, but the ratio of asshat-to-decent coworkers in this field is far higher than I've experienced elsewhere. The toxic culture is pervasive across the career.
Help us MJ, you’re our only hope

Last edited:
I’ve worked as a mechanic, I’ve worked in an office doing the 9-5, I’ve done the military. This is by far the best job I’ve had, not even including the pay and benefits. I truly enjoy working traffic. I think I would be miserable with boredom at a slow facility. Sure the schedule sucks, but anyone who didn’t realize this was a shift work career that’s open 365 days a year and 24/7 at many if not most facilities before getting into it is probably an idiot. And as someone from N90, feel free to take my OT. Idk if you were a wash out or withdrawal or a CPC who got out before NCEPT, but i don’t see how other people wanting OT had any effect on you (unless you washed and that’s your excuse)

Last edited:
I’ve worked as a mechanic, I’ve worked in an office doing the 9-5, I’ve done the military. This is by far the best job I’ve had, not even including the pay and benefits. I truly enjoy working traffic. I think I would be miserable with boredom at a slow facility. Sure the schedule sucks, but anyone who didn’t realize this was a shift work career that’s open 365 days a year and 24/7 at many if not most facilities before getting into it is probably an idiot. And as someone from N90, feel free to take my OT. Idk if you were a wash out or withdrawal or a CPC who got out before NCEPT, but i don’t see how other people wanting OT had any effect on you (unless you washed and that’s your excuse)
No effect on my schedule but in my opinion it does effect the culture and peoples sanity personality and treatment of others… I think it contributes to a toxic environment but what do I know.

It's a field where type A individuals succeed, and are not only drawn to the profession but seeked out by the agency. Throw a bunch of us together that are high strung, have control issues and/or idiosyncrasies when working traffic, and always think we're right..... we're practically all jerks. Really tired (bc shift work) jerks. lol
I will say it again, I believe a facility fight club would fix a lot of these issues even if it convenes once a year, you know, to let that anger and hate bubble up inside you...

I also believe that you'd see a lot of controllers that are out of shape start hitting the gym myself included. Health care rates would come down from everyone being in fighting shape. No one that gets beat up wants to carry that embarrassment for a year.

I will say it again, I believe a facility fight club would fix a lot of these issues even if it's convenes once a year, you know, to let that anger and hate bubble up inside you...

I also believe that you'd see a lot of controllers that are out of shape start hitting the gym myself included. Health care rates would come down to everyone being in fighting shape. No one that gets beat up wants to carry that embarrassment for a year.
Meet me by the flag pole!!!! ?

No effect on my schedule but in my opinion it does effect the culture and peoples sanity personality and treatment of others… I think it contributes to a toxic environment but what do I know.
Toxic environments in ATC are the most entertaining!

The only thing about this job that sucks besides the shift work, lackluster management in some cases, and non voluntary overtime is dealing with all the wonderful personalities.

We make it miserable for each other to go to work sometimes, and often we are proud of it. What a world!

I will say it again, I believe a facility fight club would fix a lot of these issues even if it convenes once a year, you know, to let that anger and hate bubble up inside you...

I also believe that you'd see a lot of controllers that are out of shape start hitting the gym myself included. Health care rates would come down from everyone being in fighting shape. No one that gets beat up wants to carry that embarrassment for a year.
Why create a fight club, when it already exists at the Archies?

SNAP

sorry, had to.

Sad to see ppl cuck themselves out and brag about 'massive' (govt lol) pay raises for sedentary scam jobs. These are the ppl that get so easily Micked. No path to a meaningful job; or life!

abigail breslin loser GIF

Last edited:

I would pay into a club like this. But the union NEB has to join as well

If you can get to the facility you want to, then this job is the best in the world. If you are stuck at a low level facility and watching new hires with no experience getting plugged into the spot you have an application for…….then this is the worst job in the world run by the most incompetent people on earth.

Losing good time sucks, but I figured I wouldn't make it to 20 years before I'd probably lose my medical anyway. Plus I went from a level 5 to a level 12 quickly and without fear of training failure, so that definitely makes up for losing good time for me.

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor
Fair points. I only have 7 left to get my good time lol. That’s 14 years extra on the pension!!!!!

My life is outside these walls, Kemosabe. And I get to live that life on a normal schedule with all holidays off and no holdovers.

Raining The Shawshank Redemption GIF
That's a fair trade in my eyes, particularly if you have other fed time before ATC. Like ya I'll give up the extra year and a half or so of working for weekends holidays and leave whenever I want it for the next 20 years.

If you can get to the facility you want to, then this job is the best in the world. If you are stuck at a low level facility and watching new hires with no experience getting plugged into the spot you have an application for…….then this is the worst job in the world run by the most incompetent people on earth.
Don’t forget the terrible days off due to low seniority and with no hope of leaving your current facility in the foreseeable future….I’ve gotten used spending a lot of time alone, and not really getting to see my wife or friends ??‍♂️?

Don’t forget the terrible days off due to low seniority and with no hope of leaving your current facility in the foreseeable future….I’ve gotten used spending a lot of time alone, and not really getting to see my wife or friends ??‍♂️?
You have to hang out with your crew mates and talk about nothing but separating airplanes 24/7. And retelling stories even tho all the crew mates were there and have heard it 5 times

Back
Top Bottom