Clearing two IFR aircraft to a towered no radar to the ground airport

TushingPin

Trusted Contributor
Like the title says, all I see is that you can used timed approaches, but my question is what constitutes a "timed" approach, specifically when it says you can use 5 miles for timed approaches.

Can I give two clearances to aircraft and just ensure aircraft #2 doesnt proceed closer than say 5 miles from the airport, or in the instance of insturment approaches, 5 mile final?

5 miles is only when you have radar. Non radar Timed approaches have to be 2 mins in trail over the fix/holding fix. Also neither approach can have a missed approach that has a fly back.

Last edited:
5 miles is only when you have radar. Non radar Timed approaches have to be 2 months in teial over the metering fix/holding fix. Also neither approach can have a missed approach that has a fly back.
but it literally shows (and states) in timed approaches you can use 5 miles, not just the two minutes.

"Timed approaches using either nonradar procedures or radar vectors to the final approach course may be used at airports served by a tower if the following conditions are met" 6-7-1

but it literally shows (and states) in timed approaches you can use 5 miles, not just the two minutes.

"Timed approaches using either nonradar procedures or radar vectors to the final approach course may be used at airports served by a tower if the following conditions are met" 6-7-1
Read 6-7-5. Sorry Idk why I can’t copy out of acrobat where I keep my personal 7110 copy.

I assume by your title you mean non radar?

Read 6-7-5. Sorry Idk why I can’t copy out of acrobat where I keep my personal 7110 copy.

As much time as you spend on here and you don’t know the .65 is here? 7110.65

6-7-5. INTERVAL MINIMA​

1. Except as provided in subparagraph b, use a 2-minute or a 5-mile radar interval as the minimum between successive approaches.
  2. Use the following time or radar interval as the minimum interval:
    1. Behind super:
      1. (a) Heavy - 3 minutes or 6 miles.
      2. (b) Large - 3 minutes or 7 miles.
      3. (c) Small - 4 minutes or 8 miles.
    2. Small behind heavy - 3 minutes or 6 miles.
  3. Increase the interval, as necessary, taking into account the:
    1. Relative speeds of the aircraft concerned.
    2. Existing weather conditions.
    3. Distance between the approach fix and the airport.
    4. Type of approach being made.

6-7-5 still states 5 miles. So the problem is that you'll have radar on AC #2, but obviously not on AC#1. Why can I not clear AC#2 without a downtime, but not allow the A/C to proceed closer than a 5 mile final (or 5 miles from the airport). Is the intention of the "non-radar" section 5 miles to ONLY be used when in complete non-radar?

6-7-5 still states 5 miles. So the problem is that you'll have radar on AC #2, but obviously not on AC#1. Why can I not clear AC#2 without a downtime, but not allow the A/C to proceed closer than a 5 mile final (or 5 miles from the airport). Is the intention of the "non-radar" section 5 miles to ONLY be used when in complete non-radar?
I take the concept of a radar interval to mean that they are both on radar

Back
Top Bottom