When is IFR Cancelled?

TushingPin

Trusted Contributor
Had someone tell me today that IFR is canceled when the Aircraft hits the missed approach point. Thats new to me.... I was always under the impression its when they're on the ground. So lets say a tower has a IFR inbound, he lands. His IFR is canceled right? Lets say the tower sends him around for a dwarf on the runway, IFR would NOT be canceled until he eventually lands, correct? Can someone point to me where it says that IFR is officially canceled? Thanks all.

Solution
Whoever told you IFR is cancelled at the missed approach point probably shouldn’t be working traffic.

AIM 5-1-15 Canceling IFR Flight Plan

BE9157F6-658E-4020-8828-F3606F44BC59.jpeg
Can you post up the approach. It’s still not clicking that proceed visually is not “proceed VFR”. You don’t say “cleared VFR approach”. Also how can an instrument approach force them to cancel IFR?
I don't have a real world example, but conceptually, it would just be cleared to a point versus the airport. Same concept as clearing someone on a visual approach to the overhead, where IFR is automatically cancelled by agreement at a specified point. Also similar to making an approach at one airport to land at another that doesn't have any approaches. There wouldn't be automatic cancellation in that case, but it's the same idea essentially. I could see it being part of a published approach that IFR service is no longer provided after some point.

I don't have a real world example, but conceptually, it would just be cleared to a point versus the airport. Same concept as clearing someone on a visual approach to the overhead, where IFR is automatically cancelled by agreement at a specified point. Also similar to making an approach at one airport to land at another that doesn't have any approaches. There wouldn't be automatic cancellation in that case, but it's the same idea essentially. I could see it being part of a published approach that IFR service is no longer provided after some point.
Why would you clear an aircraft for a visual approach that is going to the overhead? Thank makes zero sense.

Last edited:
But they’re not IFR after they hit the initial. Cleared direct X for the initial, then the aircraft is VFR once they commence from the initial.
Yeah. Or just give them the Visual and they become VFR once they proceed to an initial..... the visual gives them the ability to line up to Initial. I have had this argument a few times and actually really hate it. A visual approach allows them to proceed visually, if they wanna go to initial then their IFR is canceled at that point. If for whatever reason they decide to go straight in on a visual approach then the IFR is canceled on the ground.

Yeah. Or just give them the Visual and they become VFR once they proceed to an initial..... the visual gives them the ability to line up to Initial. I have had this argument a few times and actually really hate it. A visual approach allows them to proceed visually, if they wanna go to initial then their IFR is canceled at that point. If for whatever reason they decide to go straight in on a visual approach then the IFR is canceled on the ground.
Just tell them to enter blank mile initial at x, you don’t need to clear them for the visual

"Proceed direct four-mile initial, cleared overhead Runway XX."

They proceed IFR to a four-mile initial, they automatically become VFR, they perform an overhead.

Because they’re not cleared for the visual approach.
If you clear them. They are. Then when they hit inital, they are no longer IFR and it's irrelevant. Its a easier way to get them to 5 mile initial without saying cleared direct 5 mile initial. It also gives them the ability to descend and do whatever else, without having to do it manually.

View attachment 7938

That's not even a valid clearance. 4-4-1. ROUTE USE Not to mention, there's an infinite number of cases where "direct" isn't applicable.
We got a ruling on this years ago from the region.
We can send them direct a 5mile initial. It is a point in space.

No need to clear for a visual.

“Proceed to a 5 mile initial, contact tower.” is all we need to say.

If a cloud pops up and they can no longer maintain VFR after the initial point, well that’s what chapter 10 is for I guess.

We can send them direct a 5mile initial. It is a point in space.

No need to clear for a visual.
Like I mentioned in the other post, there's plenty of instances where "direct" isn't viable, so in any case those would be two different use cases. If the region is good with it then cool. I'd still argue it's not a valid clearance. Initial is vaguely defined and dependent on airspace/airport configs, so in many instances issuing direct initial would be an assumption/guess as to where the a/c ends up going.

Back
Top Bottom