When is IFR Cancelled?

TushingPin

Trusted Contributor
Had someone tell me today that IFR is canceled when the Aircraft hits the missed approach point. Thats new to me.... I was always under the impression its when they're on the ground. So lets say a tower has a IFR inbound, he lands. His IFR is canceled right? Lets say the tower sends him around for a dwarf on the runway, IFR would NOT be canceled until he eventually lands, correct? Can someone point to me where it says that IFR is officially canceled? Thanks all.

Solution
Whoever told you IFR is cancelled at the missed approach point probably shouldn’t be working traffic.

AIM 5-1-15 Canceling IFR Flight Plan

BE9157F6-658E-4020-8828-F3606F44BC59.jpeg
The only occasion I can think of that is even somewhat relevant to this question is when cleared on a visual approach, which is an IFR approach while under visual conditions, yet is not afforded the missed. Upon decision height or crossing threshold they should be VFR and they should state their intentions if they hit a layer or something or the approach is abandoned and there is no controlled tower to instruct them. Not sure I understand fully the premise because yeah that thought doesn’t make sense.

Had someone tell me today that IFR is canceled when the Aircraft hits the missed approach point. Thats new to me.... I was always under the impression its when they're on the ground. So lets say a tower has a IFR inbound, he lands. His IFR is canceled right? Lets say the tower sends him around for a dwarf on the runway, IFR would NOT be canceled until he eventually lands, correct? Can someone point to me where it says that IFR is officially canceled? Thanks all.
If he’s on a go around, yes he’s still IFR but is required to enter the tower pattern on a visual, or execute the missed approach on an instrument approach

Only thing I could maybe see they meant is when I had non radar rules at the Z I was at. Sometimes the tower flowers would call and say “landing assured on xxx” which meant even though I didn’t get a down time, I could run the next one in

In the towered environment the IFR flight plan is canceled when the aircraft lands (not when they reach the threshold). Full stop. End of story.

In the non-towered environment the IFR flight plan is canceled when the aircraft is told "IFR cancellation received" (which will not happen until they first call ATC/FD/FSS to cancel IFR). Full stop. End of story.

Upon decision height or crossing threshold they should be VFR
Incorrect. They retain their IFR clearance until one of the following happens: They land, or they request to cancel. If they go around on an IFR approach they are still IFR and they must continue to be afforded IFR separation, whether in the local pattern or back out for re-sequencing with approach.

Threshold in a controlled tower environment and when they cancel on the deck at a satellite airport?

Could they be thinking of clearing a preceeding aircraft at a satellite by the FAF?
Planes go around after the threshold all the time. How would that work if an airliner went around over the numbers in IMC conditions if they were no longer operating IFR?

Upon decision height or crossing threshold they should be VFR
There is no decision height on a visual approach. At an uncontrolled airport the aircraft is IFR until they call you and say "Cancel IFR." They could do three touch and goes if they want to.

You're right that a visual has no missed approach procedure but they're still IFR on a go around, and even at a towered airport they could join a tower pattern, but still require IFR separation (which would probably be tower applied visual separation)

Planes go around after the threshold all the time. How would that work if an airliner went around over the numbers in IMC conditions if they were no longer operating IFR?
They'd go to the published missed or otherwise specified MA given by approach and would remain IFR on that leg and were already protecting for beyond the clearance limit.

You would be protecting for the missed in both cases always.

There’s some approaches where it says you need to cancel ifr and proceed to the airport visually if you go passed the MAP. Non towered airports in terrain
We have an airport like that (LDJ) but it’s not an automatic cancellation, they still have to tell us they can cancel and will proceed VFR otherwise execute the missed. It’s not cause of terrain but because of where it’s located compared to EWR.

We have an airport like that (LDJ) but it’s not an automatic cancellation, they still have to tell us they can cancel and will proceed VFR otherwise execute the missed. It’s not cause of terrain but because of where it’s located compared to EWR.
Looking at that chart, like you said it’s not that they proceed VFR. They proceed visual to the airport. You just require a cancellation or send them missed based on your operations.

The only thing I could see this person confusing it with would be an overhead maneuver. Once they hit initial they are now VFR.
??‍♂️
But an overhead isn’t an instrument approach

The only occasion I can think of that is even somewhat relevant to this question is when cleared on a visual approach, which is an IFR approach while under visual conditions, yet is not afforded the missed. Upon decision height or crossing threshold they should be VFR and they should state their intentions if they hit a layer or something or the approach is abandoned and there is no controlled tower to instruct them. Not sure I understand fully the premise because yeah that thought doesn’t make sense.
That isn’t even correct. There is no missed approach segment. They are IFR until landing complete or report cancelling IFR.

yah they still have to cancel on ours but if they don’t it’s probably a pilot deviation I would think. But also without a tower it’s not really an automatic cancellation when they land either

yah they still have to cancel on ours but if they don’t it’s probably a pilot deviation I would think. But also without a tower it’s not really an automatic cancellation when they land either
Can you post up the approach. It’s still not clicking that proceed visually is not “proceed VFR”. You don’t say “cleared VFR approach”. Also how can an instrument approach force them to cancel IFR?

Back
Top Bottom