Controller Workforce Plan 2024-2033

I think these graphs are also extremely pertinent: 1,644 controllers either eligible for retirement or at the mandatory retirement age by 2028 and most retire within the first 3 years of eligibility. It is important to also know the breakdown of what kind of facilities they are at and the timeline trajectory for training those replacements. That's more than an entire years worth of academy grads spread out over 4 years.

1715367397432.png
1715367485187.png

Here's another "oh shit" takeaway from from seeing CRWG laid out like this:

Whatever idiot House/Senate committee will see that every non-24hr level 4 & 5 tower needs ~50% more staffing than what current standards are (~14 vs ~9) and hit the FCT button for them. All these level 5 & 6 up/downs that were consolidated away only delayed their inevitable death by privatization. And when the FAA doesn't have to worry about training people for and staffing all these level 4s and 5s they created, suddenly that ~1,600 per year through the academy doesn't seem as unreasonable. 🤯😳

1715368602268.png

Here's another "oh shit" takeaway from from seeing CRWG laid out like this:

Whatever idiot House/Senate committee will see that every non-24hr level 4 & 5 tower needs ~50% more staffing than what current standards are (~14 vs ~9) and hit the FCT button for them. All these level 5 & 6 up/downs that were consolidated away only delayed their inevitable death by privatization. And when the FAA doesn't have to worry about training people for and staffing all these level 4s and 5s they created, suddenly that ~1,600 per year through the academy doesn't seem as unreasonable. 🤯😳
Not sure what you're saying but I think it's prepare for more facility realignment/consolidation. And you'd be correct. I mentioned that in a NiW thread that one of the asks was for more F&E money for new facilities (in the fine print related to realignment/consolidation). One thing NATCA leadership never mentions in their FAA Reauthorization propaganda is this doozy that will be in the bill signed by the President:

SEC. 623. AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY REALIGNMENT STUDY.

(a) Examination.--

(1) In general.--Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall seek to enter into an agreement with a federally funded research and development center to conduct an Air Traffic Control Facility Realignment study to examine consolidating or otherwise reorganizing air traffic control facilities and the management of airspace controlled by such facilities.

(2) Contents.--In the study required under paragraph (1), the federally funded research and development center shall--

(A) evaluate the potential efficiencies that may result from a reorganization;

(B) identify whether certain areas prone to airspace congestion or facility staff shortages would benefit from any enhanced flexibilities or operational changes; and

(C) recommend opportunities for integration of separate facilities to create a more collaborative and efficient traffic control environment.

(3) Consultation.--In carrying out this subsection, the federally funded research and development center shall consult with the exclusive representatives of air traffic controllers certified under section 7111 of title 5, United States Code.

(b) Report.--Not later than 15 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the federally funded research and development center shall submit to the Administrator a report detailing the findings of the study required under subsection (a) and recommendations related to consolidation or reorganization of air traffic control work facilities and locations.

(c) Congressional Briefing.--Not later than 18 months after receiving the report under subsection (b), the Administrator shall brief the appropriate committees of Congress on the results of the study under subsection (a) and any recommendations under subsection (b) related to consolidation or reorganization of air traffic control work facilities and locations.

Not sure what you're saying but I think it's prepare for more facility realignment/consolidation. And you'd be correct. I mentioned that in a NiW thread that one of the asks was for more F&E money for new facilities (in the fine print related to realignment/consolidation). One thing NATCA leadership never mentions in their FAA Reauthorization propaganda is this doozy that will be in the bill signed by the President:

SEC. 623. AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL FACILITY REALIGNMENT STUDY.

(a) Examination.--

(1) In general.--Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall seek to enter into an agreement with a federally funded research and development center to conduct an Air Traffic Control Facility Realignment study to examine consolidating or otherwise reorganizing air traffic control facilities and the management of airspace controlled by such facilities.

(2) Contents.--In the study required under paragraph (1), the federally funded research and development center shall--

(A) evaluate the potential efficiencies that may result from a reorganization;

(B) identify whether certain areas prone to airspace congestion or facility staff shortages would benefit from any enhanced flexibilities or operational changes; and

(C) recommend opportunities for integration of separate facilities to create a more collaborative and efficient traffic control environment.

(3) Consultation.--In carrying out this subsection, the federally funded research and development center shall consult with the exclusive representatives of air traffic controllers certified under section 7111 of title 5, United States Code.

(b) Report.--Not later than 15 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the federally funded research and development center shall submit to the Administrator a report detailing the findings of the study required under subsection (a) and recommendations related to consolidation or reorganization of air traffic control work facilities and locations.

(c) Congressional Briefing.--Not later than 18 months after receiving the report under subsection (b), the Administrator shall brief the appropriate committees of Congress on the results of the study under subsection (a) and any recommendations under subsection (b) related to consolidation or reorganization of air traffic control work facilities and locations.
We need way more of these. It will lead to at least some upgrades, and get people out of low-level shithole NCEPT black hole facilities. The N90 forced moves is a unique thing that probably won't happen again.

We need way more of these. It will lead to at least some upgrades, and get people out of low-level shithole NCEPT black hole facilities. The N90 forced moves is a unique thing that probably won't happen again.
I agree. I have advocated for many years for most of the up/down 4-7s to have their TRACONs consolidated and the Towers to be contracted out. In addition, I have also advocated for a program to return those Contract Towers that have significant traffic counts (equivalent to an ATC-7 or above) to be removed from the Contract Tower program and returned to the FAA. There is a program in the FAA Reauthorization bill to do just that. See Section 625, Contract Tower Program Safety Enhancements.

I agree. I have advocated for many years for most of the up/down 4-7s to have their TRACONs consolidated and the Towers to be contracted out. In addition, I have also advocated for a program to return those Contract Towers that have significant traffic counts (equivalent to an ATC-7 or above) to be removed from the Contract Tower program and returned to the FAA. There is a program in the FAA Reauthorization bill to do just that. See Section 625, Contract Tower Program Safety Enhancements.
Splitting up/downs is a terrible idea. They work better when the controllers work both and they are a great stepping stone to a high level tracon. The problem is staffing. Fix the staffing issue and lots of other problems are mitigated.

Splitting up/downs is a terrible idea. They work better when the controllers work both and they are a great stepping stone to a high level tracon. The problem is staffing. Fix the staffing issue and lots of other problems are mitigated.
No man, we need more mini-super TRACONS in low COLA areas where you can be a level 8 and learn 5 sectors, all low traffic former level 5 up down radars.

Hopefully they act on that section in FAA Reauthorization and it’s not just there on paper.

We all want a raise right? Closing facilities, reducing numbers and facilities is the easiest way to do it the way I see it. We send certified people else where in the hopes of making staffing better at some places, then can more easily negotiate a raise with the reduced overall BUE. At least worth trying. Privatization seems likely, might as well hold on for as long as possible.

We all want a raise right? Closing facilities, reducing numbers and facilities is the easiest way to do it the way I see it. We send certified people else where in the hopes of making staffing better at some places, then can more easily negotiate a raise with the reduced overall BUE. At least worth trying. Privatization seems likely, might as well hold on for as long as possible.
A lot just want to get home too, the good thing about realignment of facilities is, consolidation to more developed areas not only leads to a raise but a movement closer to a desirable location. It’s clear the FAA doesn’t give a fuck about actually fixing the staffing issue anyway so this would be a win win.

A lot just want to get home too, the good thing about realignment of facilities is, consolidation to more developed areas not only leads to a raise but a movement closer to a desirable location. It’s clear the FAA doesn’t give a fuck about actually fixing the staffing issue anyway so this would be a win win.
Im not sure killing jobs for future generations is considered a win win. When those small facilities get contracted out the pay will be shit with little benefits. Not to mention sending people out of the academy to lvl 7s and above who knows what that would entail training wise….

Im not sure killing jobs for future generations is considered a win win. When those small facilities get contracted out the pay will be shit with little benefits. Not to mention sending people out of the academy to lvl 7s and above who knows what that would entail training wise….
The whole you can’t send people to higher level towers is fake and made up.

Im not sure killing jobs for future generations is considered a win win.
Yeah this. Sure there are some absolute snoozer towers that should be contracted or even closed altogether, and there are definitely some FCTs that need to be brought back into the fold. But IMO the 804 consolidations reduce options for people who want to move back home but still work at a decent-level facility. Now the options will be to move to the super-TRACON, earn more money, but stay away from family... or move back home for a pay cut.

Yeah this. Sure there are some absolute snoozer towers that should be contracted or even closed altogether, and there are definitely some FCTs that need to be brought back into the fold. But IMO the 804 consolidations reduce options for people who want to move back home but still work at a decent-level facility. Now the options will be to move to the super-TRACON, earn more money, but stay away from family... or move back home for a pay cut.
Not to cherry-pick, but the fact that IWA is a contract tower is actually crazy

Back
Top Bottom