Could a trainee certify on only one position, while training multiple positions combined.

jay_b311

FAA
Facility
SYR Syracuse Tower
If a facility trains all radar positions combined (RD, HO, Approach1, Approach2), could a trainee be certified on one or two of those positions independently prior to the others?

Our facility differentiates all 4 positions in the SOP, it is just understood they are trained combined, and we currently only certify when it’s deemed they can work all positions combined (they’re typically worked combined, but not always). Would it be strange to train someone on 4 positions combined, and during that time say “ok you are recommended on position 1/2 but not 3/4”.

If we certified trainees on RD/HO they should technically meet the requirement of D3 per the slate book Appendix B. , “FD+66% of all other positions”. No one at our facility has done this or been given D3 in a very, very long time. We jump from D2-CPC which often takes 1 year or more.

My goal here is to understand if that’s something we should pursue, or something other facilities do. Or is the additional paperwork, currency requirement once they’d be certified on RD/HO, etc., not worth it.

Last edited:
In line with the training order it depends on what specifically your training plan says. (And local training/sop)
In your case it seems a bit weird? Like if you had 1 and 2 you can now get 3 and 4 with 1 and 2. But if you're training on 1,2,3,4 and only getting 1 and 2 with know certs....seems weird.

That said I see it as a win- you're getting good training AND if you fail it's like the easiest review board ever. "I was being judged on 2 positions while working 4"

Yes, this is very common. I know of a few low-level towers where you train on LC/GC combined, and once you CPC you work LC/GC combined, but you get checked out on GC first and then keep training on LC.

Keep in mind that once you certify on a position you need to get currency on that position working by yourself—working combined while training on other positions doesn't count. The 7210.3 2-3-3 says
Hand-off, Tracker, CAB/TRACON/NTMS Coordinator, Final Monitor, OS/OSIC, and managerial (in-charge) positions do not have a currency requirement and time spent working those positions is not counted.
but I know that the currency tracker still wants us to get one hour on CD each month so it might also want you to get one hour on HO.

Yes. The trainee dedicates where their hours go on each training session. The check ride can be for combined positions as well. I did this at my low level up down.

Back
Top Bottom