CPC reinstatements

Does anyone have a POC for following up after your ATM sends the package up to district? The person I was directed to does not answer her cell or office phone and does not return voicemails.
lisa.g********@faa.gov

She was very helpful for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisa.g********@faa.gov

She was very helpful for me.

Thank you! She was the POC I had been calling and she answered the phone earlier, so we were able to touch bases.

When you submitted your package, what was the timeline like? The ATM I am coordinating through said he submitted everything to district 2 weeks ago, but Lisa G. didn't have any info for me/said she hadn't seen my name yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! She was the POC I had been calling and she answered the phone earlier, so we were able to touch bases.

When you submitted your package, what was the timeline like? The ATM I am coordinating through said he submitted everything to district 2 weeks ago, but Lisa G. didn't have any info for me/said she hadn't seen my name yet.
Day 0 - ATM filed paperwork to hire me
Day 16 - I talked to Lisa G. and she told me that my application had been approved at some point by the service area, and was forwarded to FAA HQ in DC with the monthly Reinstatement batch (if you applied too late in a month, this could set you back).
Day 54 - HR told me that FAA HQ had approved my package, and that it had been sent to Aviation Careers HR department.
Day 65 - TOL received.
Day 92 - EODS email received (because I had called my HR rep listed on my TOL and asked where it was and he had forgotten it, somehow).
Day 97 - CIL email received.
Day 114 - Drug test completed.
Day 117 - FAA Class II medical exam completed.
Day 196 - MMPI completed.
Day 217 - Medical Clearance received.
Day 223 - FOL received.
Day 263 - Start date.

COVID slowed me down a bit, so yours should be faster.

Just got to poking around on ksn today and the numbers make me a little nervous. I know covid probably affected them pretty negatively but so far this fiscal year, only 15 reinstatements have been hired agency wide. Additionally, 85% of the hiring this FY is done and according to the controller workforce plan, the agency only plans on hiring like 500-600 controllers a year for the next few years, down from the roughly 1800/year of the past few years. Kinda crazy when you think retirements are likely to speed up soon and a lot of places are already hurting badly as it is. I mean they need to hire 500 people directly to ZNY tomorrow to get them to be projected the national average

Just got to poking around on ksn today and the numbers make me a little nervous. I know covid probably affected them pretty negatively but so far this fiscal year, only 15 reinstatements have been hired agency wide. Additionally, 85% of the hiring this FY is done and according to the controller workforce plan, the agency only plans on hiring like 500-600 controllers a year for the next few years, down from the roughly 1800/year of the past few years. Kinda crazy when you think retirements are likely to speed up soon and a lot of places are already hurting badly as it is. I mean they need to hire 500 people directly to ZNY tomorrow to get them to be projected the national average
CPC-reinstatement’s are on hold for now, at least at the Eastern Servive Region level due to training. Hopefully this changes soon to comply with the June 6 MOU

This does suck, it is part of the equation of the ultra high risk maneuver of someone quitting out of a black hole facility then trying to get back 12 months later in a place they want. I wouldn’t let that discourage people though if they are motivated to do it. I would just try to have a decent enough job set up in the meantime, preferably any federal job if you are 100% determined to wait until you get back in, and “live your life assuming it’s not going to happen for a few years”, same advice they give to a new hire stuck in MMPI jail or another hiring roadblock that takes years to resolve.

This does suck, it is part of the equation of the ultra high risk maneuver of someone quitting out of a black hole facility then trying to get back 12 months later in a place they want. I wouldn’t let that discourage people though if they are motivated to do it. I would just try to have a decent enough job set up in the meantime, preferably any federal job if you are 100% determined to wait until you get back in, and “live your life assuming it’s not going to happen for a few years”, same advice they give to a new hire stuck in MMPI jail or another hiring roadblock that takes years to resolve.
This.

In the CPC Reinstatement agreement there is a one line section entitled Non-Selection. It reads "Prior failure of FAA field terminal or enroute training may constitute a basis for non-selection." Does anyone know if this means they will automatically not select you at the facility(s) of your choice because you washed/withdrew from training at some point? Anybody have any experience with this?

In the CPC Reinstatement agreement there is a one line section entitled Non-Selection. It reads "Prior failure of FAA field terminal or enroute training may constitute a basis for non-selection." Does anyone know if this means they will automatically not select you at the facility(s) of your choice because you washed/withdrew from training at some point? Anybody have any experience with this?
It probably means if you washed out at a level 11 for example and then put from a level 6 that you might not be picked up if you apply directly to a 11 or 12.

I am thinking I am going to try this avenue. I assume once you have achieved CPC status you are eligible to apply for reinstatement after the required amount of time, regardless of your current status. For example, I am currently CPC-IT at lvl 11 Tracon. Spent 10 years certified at a level 10 tower. Have withdrawn from training but no Nest options whatsoever in the area. No desire to return to old facility. I should be eligible to apply to be picked up at one of the Towers after being out of FAA for 1 year, correct?

I am thinking I am going to try this avenue. I assume once you have achieved CPC status you are eligible to apply for reinstatement after the required amount of time, regardless of your current status. For example, I am currently CPC-IT at lvl 11 Tracon. Spent 10 years certified at a level 10 tower. Have withdrawn from training but no Nest options whatsoever in the area. No desire to return to old facility. I should be eligible to apply to be picked up at one of the Towers after being out of FAA for 1 year, correct?
Yes but it’s all luck of the draw whether or not the ATM knows the process AND wants to hire you. If that’s your plan, don’t settle or hope to get hired at one specific facility, you might have to be open to applying to several facilities within a bigger region for the ATM willing/wanting to recommend and hire you

Yes but it’s all luck of the draw whether or not the ATM knows the process AND wants to hire you. If that’s your plan, don’t settle or hope to get hired at one specific facility, you might have to be open to applying to several facilities within a bigger region for the ATM willing/wanting to recommend and hire you
Exactly. I do plan on meeting with the ATM after I see the list from the NEST, based on the numbers nowhere near here will be on it. I am willing to work at the lvl 4-5 facilities with the hopes of making it to the big house. At least all the 4's and 5's here are always eligible to release via NCEPT

Yes, that is how it works going both ways. One pay period you work for one, the next pay period you work for the other. No break in federal service, your leave transfers over, very smooth.
Are you talking about annual or sick or both?

What were your options on your nest list?

Back
Top Bottom