CPC reinstatements

What lv facilities from / to? What did you do during your vacation from mother faa?
12 to 9 denied, 12 to 12 approved. I didn’t pick up any jobs by choice. Not even Uber driving. I enjoyed the beach multiple times a week, vacationed to some new cities, took a 3k mile cross country road trip, started weight lifting 6 days a week, and learned a ton about real estate investing. It was quite the ~14 months off.

Thanks for the update! It is nice to see the timeline. I am already out. Just waiting on my time. When you set up the meetings with the ATMs were you straightforward with the fact you were a CPC requesting reinstatement?

Thanks for the update! It is nice to see the timeline. I am already out. Just waiting on my time. When you set up the meetings with the ATMs were you straightforward with the fact you were a CPC requesting reinstatement?
Yes and most will be oblivious to the process

Honestly I can’t really say I even blame them for knowing little to nothing about it. Most people don’t and even the people that want to use it don’t really know much about it. It isn’t like there is this giant pool of former CPC’s ready to come back to justify an ATM spending anymore time than required to simply be aware that the program exists.

Does anyone know if you have to go through the security clearance process all over again regardless of the time you have been separated from the agency or if the agency can reinstate your security clearance if you are within 24 months?

Does anyone know if you have to go through the security clearance process all over again regardless of the time you have been separated from the agency or if the agency can reinstate your security clearance if you are within 24 months?
I had to go through entire clearance process again and I was separated for 1 year.

Yes you have to do it all over again. You can even get tier 2'd like me. Very fun. Over a decade of controlling, but that god damn MMPI.

I have a current one with the DOD I wonder if they will take it.
They took mine mid last year when I transferred from DOD. I just emailed my security POC and said I’m a current DOD employee with a security clearance. She emailed back and said I met the requirements for the sensitive position and will notify HR.

I've learned some things in my reinstatement process that I really wished I knew sooner. DO NOT wait until you've been out a year to take action toward your re-entry if you want to get back in to a new facility as soon as possible.

Here's what I mean...

1) A few months before I was out for a year, I got an ATM to agree to hire me once my year was up. I had a couple others tell me no, but long story short, my application got submitted when I was out for 1 year and 1 day because I had that part taken care of. Don't assume that you can waltz in to your dream facility on the day you're eligible, have the ATM agree to hire you, and have all of the paperwork submitted that day.

2) There are a handful of documents (mostly SF50s) that have to be submitted when you apply for reinstatement. Track these down ahead of time. It took me WEEKS to get some of those specific SF50s from the government. The earlier you do this, the better.

3) Apply for a prior experience bid 4-7 months after you're out of the FAA. This way, you can complete your Medical, Security Clearance, drug test, and MMPI. These clearances are good for at least a year. You can get them all done, and then they'll give you an FOL for your previous facility. You simply don't accept it. Then, when the time comes to apply for reinstatement, you go straight from TOL to FOL in a couple weeks and get a start date much sooner. This can cut a few months out of the reinstatement hiring process.

I've learned some things in my reinstatement process that I really wished I knew sooner. DO NOT wait until you've been out a year to take action toward your re-entry if you want to get back in to a new facility as soon as possible.

Here's what I mean...

1) A few months before I was out for a year, I got an ATM to agree to hire me once my year was up. I had a couple others tell me no, but long story short, my application got submitted when I was out for 1 year and 1 day because I had that part taken care of. Don't assume that you can waltz in to your dream facility on the day you're eligible, have the ATM agree to hire you, and have all of the paperwork submitted that day.

2) There are a handful of documents (mostly SF50s) that have to be submitted when you apply for reinstatement. Track these down ahead of time. It took me WEEKS to get some of those specific SF50s from the government. The earlier you do this, the better.

3) Apply for a prior experience bid 4-7 months after you're out of the FAA. This way, you can complete your Medical, Security Clearance, drug test, and MMPI. These clearances are good for at least a year. You can get them all done, and then they'll give you an FOL for your previous facility. You simply don't accept it. Then, when the time comes to apply for reinstatement, you go straight from TOL to FOL in a couple weeks and get a start date much sooner. This can cut a few months out of the reinstatement hiring process.
Where you headed to? I’d like to “pin” this to the thread, but I do not see an option to do so.
Great input, nonetheless!

How outlandish would it be to try to go from a low-level tower to a high-level center with this process? Possible if the ATM wants you or would the ATO shut it down?

How outlandish would it be to try to go from a low-level tower to a high-level center with this process? Possible if the ATM wants you or would the ATO shut it down?
It is extremely possible as long as you're separated more than a year. You just have to speak with the atm. There is always a possibility someone in the chain will say no, but to a z I imagine you'll have a good shot.

If the ATM wants you its a slam dunk, otherwise tread lightly

I knew someone that tried this but the ATO said no. I’m just assuming it was because they wouldn’t allow the person to change tracks from terminal to enroute.

I knew someone that tried this but the ATO said no. I’m just assuming it was because they wouldn’t allow the person to change tracks from terminal to enroute.
I wonder if the same would happen if someone tried to go from a center to a level 10 tower ?

I went from a low level up/down to a center, this is definitely untrue. The ATO will deny it if the receiving facility is overstaffed, though.

Last edited:
I went from a low level up/down to a center, this is definitely untrue. The ATO will totally deny it off the receiving facility is overstaffed.
You mentioned in another post you can from DOD right? How was the transfer process? One pay period you were DOD and the next you were FAA after everything was completed and a start date was agreed upon?

Back
Top Bottom