Deferring an FOL

KingPong12

Last month I got an offer for tmu at my desired facility. I got the FOL for a start date in January 2021 which at the time thought was great and accepted. For personal reasons I want to defer the date for just a couple of more months.

First, is it possible to renegotiate a later date after signing the FOL? (called the atm a few times but hasn't returned my calls)

Second, if I turn down the offer after accepting that, would that look bad in the future if I tried to err there?

Thanks

Last month I got an offer for tmu at my desired facility. I got the FOL for a start date in January 2021 which at the time thought was great and accepted. For personal reasons I want to defer the date for just a couple of more months.

First, is it possible to renegotiate a later date after signing the FOL? (called the atm a few times but hasn't returned my calls)

Second, if I turn down the offer after accepting that, would that look bad in the future if I tried to err there?

Thanks
Yes it would look bad. I’ve known a few ATMs/FacReps who wouldn’t give a person a second shot. Especially after they probably kissed a lot of ass and spouted crap about how it’s the place I want to spend my career at and family in the area etc etc.

As for the release date, I would keep trying to get ahold of the ATM(s) and email the HR person who sent the offer to you initially, HR *should* know if it’s allowable. If it’s the dream job at the dream spot, I would do everything I had to to keep it. But that’s just me!

In terms of getting another ERR down the road ...Probably depends how hard it is to ERR there in the first place. If it’s somewhere that usually takes their fill and has competition to get there, I’d say don’t give up the current FOL. If it’s just a couple months, is COS leave combined with a few weeks of annual an option to at least buy a month?

In terms of getting another ERR down the road ...Probably depends how hard it is to ERR there in the first place. If it’s somewhere that usually takes their fill and has competition to get there, I’d say don’t give up the current FOL. If it’s just a couple months, is COS leave combined with a few weeks of annual an option to at least buy a month?
Thanks I'll keep that idea in my back pocket, in case they aren't flexible with the date.

You can also start with your atm, the losing atms are the ones that generally dictate when the release will be. explain the situation for personal reasons, youd like you delay for a certain amount of time. We’re you involved in deciding the original release date? They can reach out to receiving ATM, if they are willing and ask them.

it’s not uncommon to change dates closer or farther. So this shouldn’t be a difficult ask.

As for turning it down, some assholes in managment might hold it against you, but then again they might not even be there or forget your name. So just blame personal reasons and you should be fine, it’ll even be easier to explain if you get another position, you preferred that one. Some union punks might hold it against you also, because your release was factored into the losing facilities numbers, or the gaining facilities ability to bid leave etc etc. be decent about it and not a slimy piece of shit and you should be fine

Yes it would look bad. I’ve known a few ATMs/FacReps who wouldn’t give a person a second shot. Especially after they probably kissed a lot of ass and spouted crap about how it’s the place I want to spend my career at and family in the area etc etc.

As for the release date, I would keep trying to get ahold of the ATM(s) and email the HR person who sent the offer to you initially, HR *should* know if it’s allowable. If it’s the dream job at the dream spot, I would do everything I had to to keep it. But that’s just me!
Agree, you’re talking about a multi-million $ career. Seems like a good idea to lock it in rather than risk hosing it up

You can also start with your atm, the losing atms are the ones that generally dictate when the release will be. explain the situation for personal reasons, youd like you delay for a certain amount of time. We’re you involved in deciding the original release date? They can reach out to receiving ATM, if they are willing and ask them.

it’s not uncommon to change dates closer or farther. So this shouldn’t be a difficult ask.

As for turning it down, some assholes in managment might hold it against you, but then again they might not even be there or forget your name. So just blame personal reasons and you should be fine, it’ll even be easier to explain if you get another position, you preferred that one. Some union punks might hold it against you also, because your release was factored into the losing facilities numbers, or the gaining facilities ability to bid leave etc etc. be decent about it and not a slimy piece of shit and you should be fine
Thanks I haven't seen my own atm in months since I'm all mids lol. But will definitely try to reach out.

Nevermind the fact the come January COVID is still going to be halting training anyways ... so good chance you’ll be on EA anyways. Food for thought.
Yea, while I really do hope that training comes back much sooner than later for those stuck in this rut, I did see that as a way to leverage my desire to push back the start date.

No sense in moving just to sit at home when I could stay where I'm at a little longer and work.

Back
Top Bottom