Downwind Leg

Iamromeotango

Lurker
Can anyone definitively show me where the FAA has determined the “upwind leg” in a traffic pattern is no longer the upwind leg? Is the “upwind leg” now called the departure leg?”

I can only find a reference in the pilots handbook and it’s on a depiction of a typical traffic pattern with labeled legs.

If so, this makes no sense.

When instructing an aircraft making repeated patterns to extend his departure leg for spacing, every single aircraft responds that they’re not departing.

Any help is appreciated.

Can anyone definitively show me where the FAA has determined the “upwind leg” in a traffic pattern is no longer the upwind leg? Is the “upwind leg” now called the departure leg?”

I can only find a reference in the pilots handbook and it’s on a depiction of a typical traffic pattern with labeled legs.

When instructing an aircraft making repeated patterns to extend his departure leg for spacing, every single aircraft responds that they’re not departing.

Any help is appreciated.
Cleared TnG tower will call the crosswind. That might solve your problem.

Any help is appreciated.

I've never once referred to the upwind as a departure leg, though the book explains what it is. I've always said extend upwind tower calls crosswind, and never had it questioned.

edit: the AIM just explains the legs as a direction of flight in relation to the runway configuration.. No set points where one begins or ends.. with the exception of the departure, that one it explains.

You are no longer allowed to call them legs as that is insensitive to those without functioning lower halves. Pattern legs are now called ‘missions’.

“Follow Cessna 1 o’clock and 3 miles on base mission”

“Extend upwind mission I will call your crosswind mission”

Who says departure leg? Is an ifr departure on their departure leg until 51% of their flight is completed then they’re on their arrival leg? Just say upwind.

Any help is appreciated.
What Do You Want GIF by Lil Jon

I have no idea what the first sentence is. But departure is just the initial climb-out, like it says in the "pilots handbook". Any path parallel to the landing runway in the direction of landing is upwind. Extending 'departure' is nonsensical.

Back
Top Bottom