Enroute vs Terminal Megathread

The proj staffing on the PPT is the proj for the length of the training time in years column. As far as where certain facilities get inbounds from - that's all fluid and kind of unprojectable in most cases

Thats what I figured. Im just happy to receive a TOL, I got enroute so I was thinking maybe controllers have more knowledge about what future academy lists will be like based on the numbers at facilities currently.

Anyone at any of the west coast facilities?

Also how would I go about setting up a tour of a facility? I live in Arizona currently (so no facilities within about a 6 hour drive), but I have family and friends in Seattle so that would be an ideal facility to visit while I am there this coming summer. No ATC contacts though to help arrange a tour, so any suggestions on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Thats what I figured. Im just happy to receive a TOL, I got enroute so I was thinking maybe controllers have more knowledge about what future academy lists will be like based on the numbers at facilities currently.

Also how would I go about setting up a tour of a facility? I live in Arizona currently (so no facilities within about a 6 hour drive), but I have family and friends in Seattle so that would be an ideal facility to visit while I am there this coming summer. No ATC contacts though to help arrange a tour, so any suggestions on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.
Call the number listed on the ZSE resource and ask for a POC to set up a facility tour. They do them frequently enough, it's easy. If ZSE is the facility you want to transfer to in the future you should do another visit years down the road when you're eligible. After academy and after certification at your assigned first facility. That's when you want to really try and meet the NATCA fac rep and ATM/Management personnel so they remember who you are when it's time to select candidates.

Call the number listed on the ZSE resource and ask for a POC to set up a facility tour. They do them frequently enough, it's easy. If ZSE is the facility you want to transfer to in the future you should do another visit years down the road when you're eligible. After academy and after certification at your assigned first facility. That's when you want to really try and meet the NATCA fac rep and ATM/Management personnel so they remember who you are when it's time to select candidates.

Gotcha, thanks for the advice.

For estimated guesses on what will be available, download, follow and track this resource.
Enroute Placement List

What are the numbers for ZDC? I don't want to be the guy to continue the asking, so if there's a way for us on the outside to find the information, please let me know.

I have a friend who started at Seattle Center. He is saying it should be easier and less stress to switch from enroute to terminal and start at a level 6 or 7 tower than to start at a level 12 center. Does anyone else agree. Does terminal have higher pass rates than enroute at the academy?

I have a friend who started at Seattle Center. He is saying it should be easier and less stress to switch from enroute to terminal and start at a level 6 or 7 tower than to start at a level 12 center. Does anyone else agree. Does terminal have higher pass rates than enroute at the academy?

Historically yes, terminal has higher pass rates than enroute at the academy. Lately though, from what I read on here about academy classes, it seems to be about even on the pass rate. Once you get to your facility it depends. EnRoute is mostly a longer road to CPC than terminal right out of the academy.

I wanted terminal for the longest time. Then I got a TOL for en-route. I was under the impression that everyone hated en-route and wanted terminal and theses forums are making me think differently.

I wanted terminal for the longest time. Then I got a TOL for en-route. I was under the impression that everyone hated en-route and wanted terminal and theses forums are making me think differently.

When I got my PTOL it was terminal which I wanted, then my TOL was EnRoute, I tried to switch and they wouldn’t let me. Turned I think to be a blessing in disguise. I enjoy EnRoute. It’s not easy and a long road but it’s fun. Center’s are predominantly in/close to major cities vs some terminal places. Plus it pays a hell of a lot more (coming out of the academy talking) as you progress in Training. Typically D2 pay is CPC Pay at a lot of lower towers.

Last edited:
IIRC the pass rates for both terminal and enroute are closer to 50% each now? Or have they become much better with the passing rates?

I got selected for terminal and made a request to switch to enroute and they approved.

You’re one of the lucky few. My brother tried to switch and they didn’t care. He has a great job making 130k, so going to a level 5 terminal facility wasn’t gonna happen. They would not even consider it to keep him on the hiring track.

Makes no sense when that person we talked to was probably writing a TOL for some other new hire to enroute while on the phone with us lol. I understand they can get backed up with all the requests, but it was very disappointing.

You’re one of the lucky few. My brother tried to switch and they didn’t care. He has a great job making 130k, so going to a level 5 terminal facility wasn’t gonna happen. They would not even consider it to keep him on the hiring track.

Makes no sense when that person we talked to was probably writing a TOL for some other new hire to enroute while on the phone with us lol. I understand they can get backed up with all the requests, but it was very disappointing.
right? how hard would it be to put on the application "Would you prefer A) Terminal B) EnRoute C) IDC just give me a job"
Simple things can make life easier for everyone

Just wanted to say that I talked to my HR rep just now and they will consider me switching to Enroute from Terminal. Need to make sure it's what I wanna do pretty quick here.

Just wanted to say that I talked to my HR rep just now and they will consider me switching to Enroute from Terminal. Need to make sure it's what I wanna do pretty quick here.

Nice they gave you an option man, good luck and whatever you decide don’t turn back and wish the other. Just get through the academy, check out, and if you really want to go to terminal/EnRoute, you can always start putting in ERR’s

I know it'd be a long shot anyway, but it seems to be the more I read, the more most people favor enroute, with pay being probably the biggest factor. I was happy about terminal initially without having a preference because of the flexibility of potential destinations. I'm wondering if it's worth asking about potentially switching? I know I need to get through the academy before worrying about any of this, just want to make the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom