Enroute vs Terminal Megathread

Out of curiosity thought I'd pose this question. I know everyone's experience will vary including my own here coming up, but those of you on the terminal side of things, roughly how long until you became CPC and how long were you at your lower level tower before transferring up to a higher level tower?

I was at a level 9 straight out of the academy. It took me 15 months with training delays and back up in the training department. I spent 4 years there including my training before going to a 12 (took me 3 months to get my CTO here after initial training for a couple weeks).

I was at a level 9 straight out of the academy. It took me 15 months with training delays and back up in the training department. I spent 4 years there including my training before going to a 12 (took me 3 months to get my CTO here after initial training for a couple weeks).
I went to a 5 tower after academy. Certified in 6 months or so, was there for 2.5 years before going to a 7 Up/down. Certified in a year or so, was there for 3.5 years now at a 9 up/down, started training a month ago.

I was going to guess 3-5 years so I guess I was close! I don't think 9's are offered out of training anymore or even 8's. I've skimmed through the terminal placement lists and wanna say I've maybe seen an 8 but definitely not a 9. When you transferred to the 12 was it just good timing? Was it a facility you had your eye on for a while and were you waiting for it to open up or what?

I was going to guess 3-5 years so I guess I was close! I don't think 9's are offered out of training anymore or even 8's. I've skimmed through the terminal placement lists and wanna say I've maybe seen an 8 but definitely not a 9. When you transferred to the 12 was it just good timing? Was it a facility you had your eye on for a while and were you waiting for it to open up or what?

It was pre NCEPT so timing worked out and actually talking to reps and managers got me some where. It helped to have a face with the name and got me selected.

Out of curiosity thought I'd pose this question. I know everyone's experience will vary including my own here coming up, but those of you on the terminal side of things, roughly how long until you became CPC and how long were you at your lower level tower before transferring up to a higher level tower?
Just over a year to CPC at my first facility, level 7 up/down. Was there for about 4 years, before going to a 9 up/down. Trained there for 1 year before fully certifying when most people at that time were taking 3-4 years.

For enroute controllers, does it get depressing sitting in a dark room all day and night? I would guess that working in a tower seeing planes, weather, sunsets, etc. would be a bit more enjoyable.

For enroute controllers, does it get depressing sitting in a dark room all day and night? I would guess that working in a tower seeing planes, weather, sunsets, etc. would be a bit more enjoyable.
From a tracon controller, no. Although I am often confused on what time of day it is and am surprised on break to find out that it is dark outside. But actually having airspace and getting to vector makes it worth it. Tower seems boring.

I wouldn’t say depressing, but like GulfBravoPapa said, when I leave the center I’m surprised it’s dark or light out, takes a while for the eyes to adjust coming into work or leaving work. I actually wish they had it darker in the control room, they tried it once and people got all weird and went home onsick leave.

I wouldn’t say depressing, but like GulfBravoPapa said, when I leave the center I’m surprised it’s dark or light out, takes a while for the eyes to adjust coming into work or leaving work. I actually wish they had it darker in the control room, they tried it once and people got all weird and went home onsick leave.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Were you at a non-Tower Radar only level 9? (Is there such a place?) or do you mean you certified at your level 12 after 3 months? Because you only get your CTO once and then you have it forever unless there is some renewal requirement I’m not aware of.

It was pre NCEPT so timing worked out and actually talking to reps and managers got me some where. It helped to have a face with the name and got me selected.
Also, are you already reinstated in the rehire bid and certified so quickly? That’s the fastest I’ve ever seen the FAA move if 2 months ago you were still working on the medical clearances! Do share the process! Or is this a level 12 before you separated?

You get a CTO for every tower you certify in. You only have to make CPC once and that stays with you forever. So your CTO it's a one time deal for each tower you certify in. I was at a tower only 9, but if you're looking for a TRACON only 9, T75 in St Louis is a pretty nice. I also went to a 12 up/ down and completed all the tower training in just 3 months and I got my CTO. I was waiting for downstairs training when I was injured in the tower.

I'm still working on reinstatement so this was before I got injured. Unfortunately, it seems most management has no idea about reinstatement and it seems like they don't want to take my word for it or investigate it. So yeah it's a harder way back then I thought.

Do I have to know someone that works at a tower to get a tour or how does that work? Want to see the terminal side of things since that's where I'll be going.

You get a CTO for every tower you certify in. You only have to make CPC once and that stays with you forever. So your CTO it's a one time deal for each tower you certify in. I was at a tower only 9, but if you're looking for a TRACON only 9, T75 in St Louis is a pretty nice. I also went to a 12 up/ down and completed all the tower training in just 3 months and I got my CTO. I was waiting for downstairs training when I was injured in the tower.

I'm still working on reinstatement so this was before I got injured. Unfortunately, it seems most management has no idea about reinstatement and it seems like they don't want to take my word for it or investigate it. So yeah it's a harder way back then I thought.

Ohhh I see i was like share your secret lol! Well good luck getting everything back in place.

About the CTO, We only have to take the CTO test the one time though, right?

Ohhh I see i was like share your secret lol! Well good luck getting everything back in place.

About the CTO, We only have to take the CTO test the one time though, right?

Thanks, it has been a long and very very expensive road to get back to where I am. I just got the news that I cannot get CAMI/FAA to review my medical for an FAA ATC medical, they can only review to give me an Airmen Second Class. So that sucks!!! So I won't know exactly if I'm good with the FAA or not; such much bureaucratic red tape!!! RIDICULOUS

Yeah just once...as far as I remember...unless something has changed. You only get the actual CTO for your facility or the new facility, once certified(become the tower operator).

Thanks, it has been a long and very very expensive road to get back to where I am. I just got the news that I cannot get CAMI/FAA to review my medical for an FAA ATC medical, they can only review to give me an Airmen Second Class. So that sucks!!! So I won't know exactly if I'm good with the FAA or not; such much bureaucratic red tape!!! RIDICULOUS

Yeah just once...as far as I remember...unless something has changed. You only get the actual CTO for your facility or the new facility, once certified(become the tower operator).
I think they even stopped giving out the physical CTO cards... and maybe lumped them into "credential cards" or went digital... not sure, have a few of those damn things laying around somewhere.

I love the view from a tower and enjoy the traffic type. Also, who doesn’t like watching airplanes fly? An updown like CLT or MIA would be great as I enjoyed tracon as well.

27A6F0B8-7203-446C-97C5-B39BA49F65B9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom